all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone seen this

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
They were referenced in a strength documentary I watched a long while ago. Can't remember the name but it referenced Hafthor.

Couldn't say mate.
Rogue did 3 docs. This one, which I think is the best, one on stones in Scotland, Dinnie stones etc and Fulsterker which was about Iceland and the stones there. In Iceland it’s literally a car park somewhere and these things are still there from Viking times. Like I say this one is my favourite. I like how down to earth these people featured are.

Rogue did 3 docs. This one, which I think is the best, one on stones in Scotland, Dinnie stones etc and Fulsterker which was about Iceland and the stones there. In Iceland it’s literally a car park somewhere and these things are still there from Viking times. Like I say this one is my favourite. I like how down to earth these people featured are.
Have you ever been to Potarch, Scotland to pick up the dinnie stones?

I've picked them up but couldn't walk with them. Which I attribute to being short. Brian Shaw broke the world record for the dinnie stones, but I'm pretty sure he broke a handful of world records on his documentary with Eddie, Robert and Nick.

My pals done it and his pal, Steve Angel did like 75 reps or something like that. Nah man and since a lovely wee umbilical hernia my days of such folly are behind me. My pal was obsessed with those stones and training for them and I think that’s what wore his hip out. That mad starting position you need to get yourself into to pull them off the deck. Apparently there was some joker/phantom strongman who kept doing commando raids in the night and moving them because they where finding the stones moved down the street etc and no one knew who was doing it.

Yes, very enjoyable to watch. It's been around for a few years now.

-S-

Reactions: Kev
This is wild to me. So strongmen today and strongmen 1000 years ago are lifting the exact same weights????

Haven't seen it - thanks for posting. MILO used to do articles about some of the competitions back in the day and I always thought it was cool as heck.

Reactions: Kev
This is wild to me. So strongmen today and strongmen 1000 years ago are lifting the exact same weights????
The ones in Iceland are really old. So would be the “galoglass stones” as they are from when that part of Scotland was settled by the scotti who were an Irish tribe. I don’t know how old the inver stone is and the Dinnie stones are probably as old as Donald Dinnie. Get a hold of Steve Jeks “of stones and strength”. It’s a great read and it’s on kindle.

Really cool stuff.
I like it when local cultural traditions are incorporated into strength training and strength sports like that.

Really cool stuff.
I like it when local cultural traditions are incorporated into strength training and strength sports like that.
Apparently there’s hundreds of manhood stones all over Scotland. There’s ones in courtyards of castles and just randomly dotted around cemeteries. The gallowglas stones are literally in a field somewhere with no fanfare or plaques or even someone to make sure someone with eyes bigger than their muscles doesn’t blow a gasket attempting to lift it. It’s just there in a field lol

@Kev - if you enjoyed that, you might enjoy this too, an 8 episode series of traveling Scotland lifting stones. Obviously not the "big budget film" that Rogue did, but still really cool.

@Kev - if you enjoyed that, you might enjoy this too, an 8 episode series of traveling Scotland lifting stones. Obviously not the "big budget film" that Rogue did, but still really cool.

I’ll watch that later for sure. Rogue nothing. Their one in Scotland was very underwhelming.

My pals done it and his pal, Steve Angel did like 75 reps or something like that. Nah man and since a lovely wee umbilical hernia my days of such folly are behind me. My pal was obsessed with those stones and training for them and I think that’s what wore his hip out. That mad starting position you need to get yourself into to pull them off the deck. Apparently there was some joker/phantom strongman who kept doing commando raids in the night and moving them because they where finding the stones moved down the street etc and no one knew who was doing it.
Sounds like a lad at Arbroath I know. He is a bit of a monster and a terrible sense of humour too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom