all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Obstacle Course Racing - incorporating KBs w/ OCR training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EricB

Level 2 Valued Member
My sport of choice the past several years has been Obstacle Course Racing (OCR). I'm 3 weeks in on my first attempt at Q&D (033), and due to a change in my work schedule, my Q&D schedule will be the following going forward:

Mon - Q&D followed by 3-5 DL singles (all done after work)
Wed - Q&D first thing in the morning and perhaps some light to medium low volume accessory movements after work
Fri - same as Wed

*Accessory movements include squats, pullups, TGUs, presses, i.e. "grinds".

Tues, Thu, and Sat have been running days, usually 3-5 miles at an easy pace. Weekday runs are on a paved bike path near my house, and Saturday runs are meant to be trail runs, provided I have the extra time to allow for drive time to/from the trailhead (otherwise it's on the bike path as well).

I'm still about a month away from transitioning from base training and doing more OCR specific training, but rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm curious to see what other OCR folks on here do for their race prep while not only keeping up with KBs (and other strength work) but also implementing A+A methods for power and endurance (with endurance a high priority for OCR).

Thanks in advance!

My sport of choice the past several years has been Obstacle Course Racing (OCR). I'm 3 weeks in on my first attempt at Q&D (033), and due to a change in my work schedule, my Q&D schedule will be the following going forward:

Mon - Q&D followed by 3-5 DL singles (all done after work)
Wed - Q&D first thing in the morning and perhaps some light to medium low volume accessory movements after work
Fri - same as Wed

*Accessory movements include squats, pullups, TGUs, presses, i.e. "grinds".

Tues, Thu, and Sat have been running days, usually 3-5 miles at an easy pace. Weekday runs are on a paved bike path near my house, and Saturday runs are meant to be trail runs, provided I have the extra time to allow for drive time to/from the trailhead (otherwise it's on the bike path as well).

I'm still about a month away from transitioning from base training and doing more OCR specific training, but rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm curious to see what other OCR folks on here do for their race prep while not only keeping up with KBs (and other strength work) but also implementing A+A methods for power and endurance (with endurance a high priority for OCR).

Thanks in advance!
Running, grip work, more running…

Running, grip work, more running…
Ha! Amen on the grip work. That is something I keep trying to improve upon, as that is my weakest link ATM (I could do loaded carries all day).

I guess my question revolved more so around the "how" than the "what", especially when applying StrongFirst principles.

I've never done an OCR, but here are a couple SF articles that seem like they might be relevant to your question.

Rope climbs were a big help for me, but I haven't done an OCR since the last time I dislocated my shoulder during one 6 years ago...

Rucking is a good option also for the aerobic part, tons grip work and if you are going to run a Spartan like race and you have the possibility of suffering penalties like burpees I'd do some of those to find a good pace breathing in order to be able to do all of them without stopping.

I was not able to do any more OCRs since Covid started (also diabetic so I'm a bit scared of it), I've been doing "The Giant" programs (3 days a week) for over a year now and feel great, off days I've been switching different exercises but always kept bw pull ups / chin ups or weighted pull ups / chin ups, which I consider a must in those races (they do work grip too)

Rope climbs as @John K said is a skill you should master but I won't spend time training specifically it.

Hello,

I sticked to the basics :
Pull ups (varying the grip, including rope), push ups (all kinds: regular, OAP, etc...), carries (shoulder, farmer, etc...), core, and running

To avoir injruy, a few DL and pistols squats

Kind regards,

Pet'

What I had a student of mine do

2x a week s and s
Other days, single bell complexes

Do some obstacle course runs once a week if possible 8 weeks out

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom