all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 50+ and Simple

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ricochet

Level 4 Valued Member
For those of you 50 and over that have achieved Timeless Simple...

Were you training regularly prior to starting S&S?

Did you follow the program as written?

Did the program provide the desired outcome?

Would you have done anything differently?

What were your results?

Yes, years of barbell work, rowing, some calisthenics, pilates and yoga.

Up to a point. I have bells in 4 kg increments, so I could use the alternative progression in the book.

After I got 1H 24kg, I started playing with double KB swings. Once I got to timeless Simple, I switched over to mostly double KB work.

After I reached 32 kg TGU, I switched to lighter TGUs because I prefer to use other KB moves (e.g. double KB C&P, double KB front squats) as a core strength builder for heavy work from a risk/reward POV.

I also get a lot of value out of windmills, which aren't in the program.

Yes -- my desired outcome was to learn KB basics.

3x-4x a week was enough to keep me interested and motivated and fresh. Doing it nearly daily, like the book suggests, felt monotonous.

What were your results?

Came to appreciate the value of non-barbell weighted ballistics and the ergonomics of KB overhead work.

Went on to ROP, DFW, @Geoff Neupert 's programs (e.g. Giant), and writing my own KB programming for my goals (off season work for weightlifting GPP).

I didn't follow the program as written. I find that two days in a row of swings kills my hands so I trained the two movements separately. As well, I did a day of A&A training once/twice a week with a heavier bell. I would do swings 3/4 days a week with one/two days being 20-30 rounds with a 36 or 40kg bell, all rounds being 5 reps. The 32 would feel quite light after a month or so of that.

I hate get-ups! So I trained them to hit Simple but usually focused on heavy bottom 1/2 get-ups and heavier floor presses.

I'm 54. I achieved Timed Simple in 2015. I got a promotion at work (7 Day a week) and had some issues in my personal life. I had a 5 year break from KBs. Got back to KBs in 2020 during COVID. I re-achieved Simple and I achieved Timeless standard with the 36k bell. I decided to give some other programs a go. (Though, I return to Simple when I am between programs.)

I had been doing the elliptical trainer semi-frequently. I "discovered" KBs in 2013 when my friend used them to lose a lot of weight. He gave me his work out which was a HIIT style circuit with a 20 lbs bell. I followed it for about 13 weeks. My back begin hurting from the swings. I began searching for technique hints on the internet. I "discovered" DD. I bought Enter the Kettlebell. I skipped the Program Minimum because I figured I had been using KBs long enough. (Mistake) I began the Right of Passage. I "discovered" Strong First and S&S in early 2014. I switched to S&S but my technique was still bad. I got coaching from a SFG. He had me break all the way down to shadow swings, naked GUs, and introduced me to Original Strength. I am grateful for the time I spent focusing on the basics. (Though, at first I was frustrated because I did not understand the wisdom of focusing on the basics.)

I followed the program as written for the most part. Though, I progress in weight in 4 kg increments. I have added pushups and sumo deadlifts to the warm-up from time to time.

For sure! I wanted to lose fat. (Still working on this one.) I also wanted to build a foundation of strength to be able to handle any KB program that I wanted to run. In my opinion, the value of the foundation of strength aspect of the Strong First philosophy gets lost on some people who run S&S. For a guy like me, who hadn't lifted regularly since my 20s and work at a desk job, the Timed S&S standard was a prerequisite before advancing into other KB programs. I think achieving Timeless Simple is the absolute minimum standard one should achieve if training with KBs for GPP and no specific training goal.

Just one real world example of the value of S&S, I helped a young colleague move. There were all these guys in their 30s struggling to carry the boxes and heavy furniture. I easily handled every load I carried. It made me feel great.

Not really. I am happy with what I have gained from S&S. I do not consider myself smart enough to tinker with programing to create my own programs.

What were your results?
My training goal is to be an active person going into my senior years. I think S&S has been an important part of working towards that goal. I am currently running Geoff Neupert's Strong! with 2x24k bells. I never thought I would want or be able to run a double KB program. But here I am. I couldn't have done it without the foundation S&S gave me.

Though, I progress in weight in 4 kg increments. I have added pushups and sumo deadlifts to the warm-up from time to time.

I don't mean to be ageist (hey, I'm 52), but I think the 4 kg increments are a wise choice for the 50+ crowd.

It's only a couple hundred bucks to get another bell, and the injury prevention is worth much more than that.

Plus, if using auto-regulation, it gives you an option to scale down more easily on a "bad day", yet still keep you training.

1. Sort of.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Started it sooner
5. I could roll on the mats all night and people started saying things like, "Man, you're strong as hell."

Hey.... thanks for the opening thread. I'm still on my way to Simple, and I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.

Haven't done any real strength training my entire 61+ yrs. Biking and/or swimming only.

I'm 2 months in; progressing as my body and time limitations permit.

Doing 6 days a week, but i'm in the Remedial class: I got hurt w/Goblet squats w/weights, so I'm body weight only and trying to be patient.
Also - just doing 2H Swings now (just added in 2 sets @ 24kg) and working on naked GUs

Personally, I love the focus on just two moves.

So far, it's all I could want. I just want to be stronger overall, and that's happening.

No.
What were your results?
So far.... feeling more powerful.

I don't mean to be ageist (hey, I'm 52), but I think the 4 kg increments are a wise choice for the 50+ crowd.

It's only a couple hundred bucks to get another bell, and the injury prevention is worth much more than that.

Plus, if using auto-regulation, it gives you an option to scale down more easily on a "bad day", yet still keep you training.
I agree 100%. Injury free is a priority.

What were your results?
Timed Simple.
1. Yes
2. No
3. Hard to say. A lot of variety in my training.
4. No
5. Same as #3. Goal was to ck. it off the list.

i started s & s April last year at age 60. prior to that, i had done years of bodyweight stuff (rings, rope, usual stuff for a climber and former gymnastics coach). i had done some KBs for over a year-- mostly snatches and presses. I had done a 6 week program of Q&D.

i had been snatching volume with the 24, but my knees were so wonky that i had to start with a 12 for my TGUs. first month i wasn't sure i'd ever be able to really do TGUs. but it worked out fine, just had to go slow.

i did the program exactly as written (aside from halos, years of ringwork meant they didn't seem to do much for me). i gave up my rings and kept hiking / running, but prolly at a reduced volume. tbh, i find one hand swings really tedious. but like the man says, "that's my problem." swings can be a remarkably effective cardio tool. i worked hard on my nasal breathing, and trying to keep my heart rate down in the lower aerobic range on my dailies.

i hit timeless simple back in january (would've hit it last fall but had a climbing injury). i followed the program switching to a 3 or 4 day a week schedule, but really missed the daily, so i bought a 28 and did another 6 weeks of daily S&S until i hit timed test at that weight.

the one thing i would've done differently-- i wish to god i'd had that program years ago. i'm on ROP now, but still keep TGUs for warmup or on variety days, and once i've got my press where i want it, i'll go back to S&S long enuf to get 100lbs over head. and i'll probably never quit TGUs entirely, they turned out to be a really effective diagnostic and therapeutic practice for this old athlete.

Something about Simple & Sinister resonates with me. I “test drove” it for a few weeks a while ago and it just felt right. Went a little too hard a little too early and had to take a break. I had quickly progressed to the 24kg, but didn’t own it. Attempted to introduce the 32kg. That went ok until it didn’t. Started questioning if S&S was what I “should” be doing. Started thinking there might be something “better”. While I searched for “the program” I did no real training. Decided to solicit some experienced advice which led me here. The feedback has been informative and inspirational. Thank you to all that replied. I now feel confident I’m on the right path.

3. Hard to say. A lot of variety in my training.

I agree -- If you're already training and have been for a while, this can get tricky.

I definitely acquired KB skills via S&S.

But for physical adaptations, given my training history, it's harder to say.

I agree -- If you're already training and have been for a while, this can get tricky.

I definitely acquired KB skills via S&S.

But for physical adaptations, given my training history, it's harder to say.
I think you make a very important point here. On this forum there is a wide variety of folks who are in different points of their training life. We have people who participate in combat sports, endurance sports, body weight training, competitive weight lifters (like yourself) and various other activities.

For people who are new to Kettlebells AND new to the SF Forum. The conversations about S&S and other programs can be confusing. It is sometimes hard for a novice to filter out the conversations about what is appropriate for them, at their stage in their training, versus what is appropriate for someone who is more advanced in their training.

It can be tempting for these novice lifters to adopt techniques or abandon an entry level program like S&S before they have built that very important baseline of strength and technique with kettlebells.

My advice to people that are newer to KBs is you should stay with S&S until you, at least, achieve Timeless Simple. This will give you a base level of strength and technique that will allow you to change programs. I know there are other entry level programs for KBs. I believe S&S is the best program in this category.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom