all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP Press Programming

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

getterupper

Level 3 Valued Member
Wondering what people think of something like this for programming ROP presses:

DayWarmupMeatGoal
SundayGoblet SquatRow (erg)Endurance
MondayDead Hang, Turkish Get-upROP Presses + Pull-ups (medium)Strength (upper)
TuesdayGoblet SquatDeadlift (heavy)Strength (lower)
WednesdayDead Hang, Turkish Get-upROP Presses + Pull-ups (light)Strength (upper)
ThursdayGoblet Squat1H Swing (A+A)Power
FridayDead Hang, Turkish Get-upROP Presses (heavy)Strength (upper)
SaturdayN/AN/ARest

Some intentions/considerations:
  • Maximum distance between ROP heavy day and DL heavy day, rest/light day follows each
  • Hit all three Strength/Power/Endurance on lower body
  • No pull-ups on heavy press day, too much volume
  • Goblet squats at medium maintenance weight
  • TGUs at light-medium weight and low volume, don't add stress to press days

I believe this looks great hitting every movement pattern. If you are proficient in all moves that is fantastic. In my humble SF experience, I am so far away from perfect form in all exercises so I do prefer to select less number of exercises. And I saw that there is a huge benefit difference in between perfect form and an okay form. Everyone is different, I might be a little bit too old and incompetent, I don’t know.

I like it. I just wrote a program for a cycling friend that has a few similarities. ROP Presses are ladders? What reps/sets for pull-ups?

You don't have very much pure strength work for the lower body. I'd recommend to get some decently heavy (at least 24 kg for 3 sets of 5) work in with the goblet squats, not just light/mobility on those. What volume are your deadlift and 1H swing days?

Wondering what people think of something like this for programming ROP presses:

DayWarmupMeatGoal
SundayGoblet SquatRow (erg)Endurance
MondayDead Hang, Turkish Get-upROP Presses + Pull-ups (medium)Strength (upper)
TuesdayGoblet SquatDeadlift (heavy)Strength (lower)
WednesdayDead Hang, Turkish Get-upROP Presses + Pull-ups (light)Strength (upper)
ThursdayGoblet Squat1H Swing (A+A)Power
FridayDead Hang, Turkish Get-upROP Presses (heavy)Strength (upper)
SaturdayN/AN/ARest

Some intentions/considerations:
  • Maximum distance between ROP heavy day and DL heavy day, rest/light day follows each
  • Hit all three Strength/Power/Endurance on lower body
  • No pull-ups on heavy press day, too much volume
  • Goblet squats at medium maintenance weight
  • TGUs at light-medium weight and low volume, don't add stress to press days
I like it, and I think it is sustainable. However, I am not sure how you would program your swings and deadlifts.

You could also do some swings as your DL warmup.

What's more, you could do 10 to 20 minutes of ballistics before your presses (esp. on medium and light days), TGUs as active recovery on off-days, and a little bit more easy endurance on off-days as well.

But that depends on your available time and priorities. Good luck!

Thanks, everyone! To answer the variety of questions posed in this thread:

I'm not terribly strong yet, but I'm a big guy at 6'6" and 225 pounds. My plan is to go through the Rite of Passage at 24 kg, and progress in 4 kg increments to 32-36 kg (I might not make it all the way to 36). Each cycle will be the full 13 weeks of ladder progression at a given weight, from 3x3 to 5x5.

I've tried the ROP before as written, and I love it but the training days take so long with the included swings/snatches. There's something about that context switching that is really slow for me, so I prefer to concentrate hard on one exercise in a given day. Naturally, I began to alternate the swing and press days as many do on this forum. But I decided that if I was going to be alternating, why not also toss a bit of variety on the B days? So the plan above is meant to produce more rounded training for the lower body as I cycle through the ROP for the next year or so.

The upper body strength plan will be the ROP press ladders with supplemental pull-ups as described in the book. I've found that matching pull-up volume to press volume is far too intense, so I may simply perform pull-ups at the end of each ladder, e.g., 1/2/3/4 presses followed by 4 (unloaded) pull-ups. If, at any point, I hit a snag on moving up in press weight, I will throw in a cycle of Soju & Tuba. For example, if I finish the ROP at 24 kg and am not quite ready for 28, I'll do Soju & Tuba at 28 kg and then move onto the ROP. If I'm still not ready for 28 kg ROP after 28 kg S&T, then maybe I'll try 32 kg S&T and reassess. That program is also three days of pressing per week, so I will simply shove it into the same template above.

On the "lower body" (B day) side, I will split strength/endurance/power with barbell deadlifts, rowing, and swings. I will be performing the barbell deadlifts as in Starting Strength, with the aim of slowly progressing in weight. I haven't deadlifted in a while but will probably quickly work up to the ~315 pound range and go from there. Rowing will be 30- to 60-minute sessions for endurance, and swings will be for power, something like A+A or Quick and the Dead. Swing weight will be 24-32 kg, adapting to the cumulative stress of the full program (as in ROP, the press is the focus here).

My intention with the goblet squats is to do exactly as @Anna C described, using them not just as a warmup but also as a bit of lower body maintenance volume throughout the week. I will likely do 3x5 in the 24-32 kg range, maybe even a set at each weight: 24, 28, 32. I know many people like to squat heavy but my personal preference is to deadlift heavy and maintain the squat movement pattern. For press day warmups, I am wary of adding too much shoulder work; so TGUs will be on the light side, probably 16-24 kg (maybe a single of each: 16, 20, 24).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom