all posts post new thread

Barbell Slo Mo: Nino's World Record 217 kg C&J

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
I don't know Nino's measured efficiency as a weightlifter (i.e. % of clean & jerk vs squat), but looking at this in slo mo and the high level of technical precision, it has to be very high.

The thing that strikes me most is just how darn fast he is under the bar.

The bar isn't very high in the clean at all (no diss -- it's over 200 kg) when he catches it right at parallel and then uses the stretch reflex to bounce right back out of the hole.

Last edited:
Ha... I shared this same one on FB 2 weeks ago. The thing that I noticed is how his heels barely come off the ground in the jerk. My coach has been trying to get me to drive with the whole foot ("like a bear, not like a frog") and I noticed this was a great example.

But yeah... fast under the bar, too.

Ha... I shared this same one on FB 2 weeks ago. The thing that I noticed is how his heels barely come off the ground in the jerk. My coach has been trying to get me to drive with the whole foot ("like a bear, not like a frog") and I noticed this was a great example.

But yeah... fast under the bar, too.

I'd never heard frog vs bear before, but I get what he means. ;)

My jerk is closer to Tian Tao's hot mess.

Which he misses about 40% of the time, and I would, too, if I was more aggressive in my attempts. ;)

Last edited:
My jerk is closer to Tian Tao's hot mess.

Which he misses about 40% of the time, and I would, too, if I was more aggressive in my attempts. ;)
I wasn't aware of him, but this is a great video! I a DEFINITELY not that type of lifter.... A perfect meet, to me, is make the first two attempts solidly and then have the third be a 50/50 chance and ideally a new PR if I make it. But I've only ever done 2 powerlifting meets and 2 weightlifting meets, so, I'm still a "young lifter" in that regard.

I wasn't aware of him, but this is a great video! I a DEFINITELY not that type of lifter.... A perfect meet, to me, is make the first two attempts solidly and then have the third be a 50/50 chance and ideally a new PR if I make it. But I've only ever done 2 powerlifting meets and 2 weightlifting meets, so, I'm still a "young lifter" in that regard.

I'm surprised you hadn't heard of him. He's a pretty big name.

He's not at all a finesse lifter -- he's just no BS strong and explosive. Which makes him inconsistent and entertaining to watch.

He either hits home runs or strikes out. ;)

I'm surprised you hadn't heard of him. He's a pretty big name.
I had zero knowledge about weightlifting until late 2019, and have picked up a bit more since then but what I've followed in the past couple of years is 90% women, 10% men. Lots more to learn!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom