all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why Do Sweatpants Kill My Squats?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
It doesn't matter if I'm using a barbell, trap bar, or kettlebells.

If I wear shorts, a singlet, or compression pants / tights (SKINZ, Roadbox, etc.), my squats are normal.

But if I wear baggy sweatpants my squats suck.

They're less energetic, less snappy, sloppier form, and have less momentum.

Am I just vain and get hyped up by looking at my own sexy legs while I squat?

Am I getting visual cues that I can't see in baggy pants?

Is there some proprioception that gets blunted in baggy pants?

Is it because athletes are ritualistic and superstitious and it's all in my head?

What's going on here?

Does anyone else need to be wearing just the right thing to perform right?

I’m exactly the same.

I always put it down to the feeling of air circulating around my legs providing ‘relief’ and cooling them down.

But I’m also distracted by the feeling of the fabric shifting over my skin with pants, whereas with shorts it’s just the legs doing their thing.

I’ve often wondered though!

I'm sure that fit/kind of clothing can aid or inhibit proprioception. No doubt. Some of it is psychological, but it's more than that.

I don't feel like I'm so particular, but I see people squatting in low ridingbasketball shorts that hang to the bottom of the knee and I think "eeeeewwww". No thank you.

LOL, Glad to hear others mention this. I'm always hitching up my pants. Both extra folds of fabric at the hinge location and the feeling of the pant sticking on my knee as I go down. Drives me crazy. Thought it was just me.

Just got new pants from REI for hiking which actually feel great .

I'm sure that fit/kind of clothing can aid or inhibit proprioception. No doubt. Some of it is psychological, but it's more than that.

I don't feel like I'm so particular, but I see people squatting in low ridingbasketball shorts that hang to the bottom of the knee and I think "eeeeewwww". No thank you.

I was starting to think that maybe I can't feel full depth as well because the sweats are a thicker layer between my hammies and calves.

But then thought those were crazy thoughts.

Baggy pants would be the opposite of knee sleeves. My coach's thoughts on knee sleeves: "My thinking on knee sleeves is wear them all the time…they are less about support and more about warmth and enhancing proprioceptive feedback. Knees are relatively sparse in joint mechanoreceptors and knee sleeves can really help clean up squat mechanics as a result."

So, I would think the pants can help in the same way.

I have to remind my wife my eyes are up here when I wear sweatpants. Kidding, she looks away in disgust. Maybe you’re distracted by other peoples stares?

I dont know about squats but at work, I have to wear cotton safety gear and I always go 2 full sizes bigger because I swear, when the pants are tight, they do feel like they slow me down, especially up stairs ( we have lots of stairs ). I feel more free to move in looser pants.

I’d never squat in long pants, I like loose fitting shorts.

Haha 8! I buy cheap gym shorts, all the same. People probably think I’m wearing the same ones but that’s good, it keeps them away from me. I only go to the gym twice a week max though, I train at home mostly

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom