all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed “Easy Strength” question

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Georgiaoutdoors

Level 5 Valued Member
Reading ”Easy Strength” currently. Around page 40 Dan John gives an example of a warmup progression. With quite a few movements and exercises. He seems to be implying that he uses this warmup every training session? Possibly even daily? Later in the book they’d give suggestions on how to do easy strength programming (p86) with an example of a 40 day training program Dan did starting on p87. Does anyone have experience with using his suggested warmups (p40) with the style of training daily on p87?

Dan likes a lot more elaborate warm up than I do, and my warm up exercise preferences are different from his.

I feel no need to comply with a specified warm up in any program -- I usually try them out, keep what works for me, chuck out what doesn't.

Warm ups are highly variable from individual to individual or even day to day.

Last edited:
Reading ”Easy Strength” currently. Around page 40 Dan John gives an example of a warmup progression. With quite a few movements and exercises. He seems to be implying that he uses this warmup every training session? Possibly even daily? Later in the book they’d give suggestions on how to do easy strength programming (p86) with an example of a 40 day training program Dan did starting on p87. Does anyone have experience with using his suggested warmups (p40) with the style of training daily on p87?
My impression is that Dan seems to like "warmups" that aren't strictly preparation for the main work (and therefore arguably not really warmups). They're more a bunch of generalized "fill in the gaps" mobility and movement patterning that he thinks people should do regularly, but usually neglect. So making them the "warmup" means they actually get done.

Here's Dan's explanation of that list of warmup drills from pp.39-40 of Easy Strength:
I make a basic assumption before training an athlete (or anyone, really), and it comes in two parts. First, movements tend to trump muscles. I do not believe in an “arm day” or a “leg day.” I think there are basic human movements that must be glided through each workout. Basically, they are push, pull, walk, squat, hinge (deadlift or swing motion), an explosive full-body movement, and the various rotary movements. Sure, they break down from here in vertical and horizontal and single limb and probably many more. But generally, I think we need to deal with these each day and certainly each training session.
Second, I think if something is important, it should be done every day. My warm-up progressions reflect this insight. Although there is a lot of “work” here, one can add or subtract the intensity very simply by changing the load or shortening the distance, time, or repetitions.

I have done a lot of the listed drills at one time or another, but have no personal experience going down the list as a warmup, or doing the 40 Day program for that matter.

But Dan has his own forum where you can ask him directly: Dan John Forum

Dan John has also mentioned that with daily sub-maximal lifting (Easy Strength style) there is often no need to warm up at all, just get in to it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom