all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Weighted Dip Programming

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steven Ravnstag

Level 3 Valued Member
Is anyone familiar with a good template for weighted dip programming? I have done a number of dip variations in the past as part of a gymnastics/bodyweight program, and I was intrigued by Pavel's article on "the best press" as my shoulders do well with dips.

Thank you!

Not necessarily weighted, but Pavel talks about using dips instead of pushups in Q&D. You need to be able to do them explosively so weighted is going to be out for MOST of us, but if it fits your goals it's worth looking into.

When in doubt I autoregulate using a system based on prilepin chart.
After solid warmup:
Set 1 - weighted - main work set (near tech failure)
Set 2 - 2 fewer reps than work set
Set 3 - 4 fewer
Set 4 - drop weight - 2 more reps than weighted work set

X, -2, -4, +2

Example:
Ramp up with sets of 5 until you're close to working weight (rep max will be 5-10ish)
Vest x 5,3,1 bodyweight x 7

When you're stronger or on an easier weight or exercise it could be 10,8,6,12 & still work...

Just did this w/ Presses. Ramped to work set of 6 (~85%). Followed with 4 & 2. Dropped weight 10% & did 8.
12 total reps @ 85%, 20 total volume.
Author used this for group training so weights wouldnt need to be changed constantly. Just set bars @ 225, 255, 275, whatever gets you in the range.

1660406429446.png

Last edited:
IMO - I would recommend only very low volume if loading fairly heavy.
My ex use to do very heavy weighted dips when we were much younger (I was not yet a coach and he was working hard in the gym while starting out his SEAL TEAM career). He ended up with slap tears in his shoulders. Now that he is older, he has lots of shoulder issues/pain plus very restricted mobility. Don't get me wrong, some of those shoulder issue could have also come from other things in a 20+year military career.

However - This has always stuck in my mind after becoming a strength coach.
Risk vs Reward is how I look at things now that I am older.

A lot of good insights so far

Keep it simple: just follow a linear plan initially,deload when you hit a plateau..

Consider yourself lucky your shoulders can tolerate dips but I'd also not get too trigger happy, always best to err on the side of caution

It's personal preference, but I would load diamond push-ups (and maybe raise the legs onto a chair) before I loaded dips. My shoulders would not feel safe doing dips.

As for programming, I would just follow ETK's ladders. Once I hit my diet goals, I plan on running ETK rows and push-ups with my weight vest. My goal is to work up to the full 90lbs capacity.

IMO - I would recommend only very low volume if loading fairly heavy.
My ex use to do very heavy weighted dips when we were much younger (I was not yet a coach and he was working hard in the gym while starting out his SEAL TEAM career). He ended up with slap tears in his shoulders. Now that he is older, he has lots of shoulder issues/pain plus very restricted mobility. Don't get me wrong, some of those shoulder issue could have also come from other things in a 20+year military career.

However - This has always stuck in my mind after becoming a strength coach.
Risk vs Reward is how I look at things now that I am older.
I can relate. I used heavy weighted dips years back as my main pressing movement. I loved them. I was in law enforcement and trained at odd times due to whacky schedules and most often was on my own with no spotter for the "almighty" bench press....heavy weighted dips were perfect substitute! Until they weren't! Ouch. Derailed my training for quite some time! They still hurt me to do them so.....I just don't do them!

At 57 I now realize the risk/reward thing!

I have done non-weighted and weighted dips for a number of years. Last year I did weighted dips as my primary push movement for 9 months and did not have any shoulder issues. Before adding any weight I would focus on your form. Keep your elbows as close to your body as possible, always lower your body under strict control, pause, push up under control. I try to keep my torso as straight as possible. When loading my body I will wear a weighted vest or back pack. I don't like the weight swinging under me as it feels like I lose control of the movement a bit.

Regarding programming I did them twice per week on Mondays and Fridays paired with a pull, and then a squat. For Wednesdays I did handstands or pike push ups for the push movement to maintain shoulder strength. The load would be waved between 0, 20 lbs, 30 lbs, and 40 lbs. Sometimes I would add more weight but only when doing negatives. The sets would be 3x5 or 5x5 depending upon the load and cycle. I would cycle up and down to push myself and then recover.

A few points to consider. If you cannot lower your body under control, pause, and then go up under control you are not strong enough yet for that weight. Try to keep your rep speed on the slower range. I would argue that a lot of people injure themselves on dips because it is really easy to use mommentum on the up and down movmements transitions.

You need to be able to do them explosively
Training Objective

1) Power Training

If the ojective is on Power Development, they should be performed Explosively without weight or a fairly light load.

2) Maximum Strength

If the objective is to Increase Maxium Strength, they need be performed with a Loaded Dip Belt.

I would focus on your form.

Dip Muscle Involvement

How Dips are performed is dependent on which Muscles you want to work.

Chris Thibaudea provides information on...

Everything You Need to Know About Dips

Thibaudeau goes into how to perform Chest Dips (greater pec involvement) and Triceps Dips (where the workload is place more on the Triceps).

a lot of people injure themselves on dips because it is really easy to use mommentum on the up and down movmements transitions.
Lack of Knowledge

Dips do place stress on the Shoulders. The primary cause of injuries from Dips is a Lack of Knowledge in this regard.

Loading Method For Minimizing Shoulder Issues

1) Chain Loaded Dips

2) Band Loaded Dips

Performing Dips with Bands or Chains ensure less loading in the bottom part of the Dip; the weaker and more vurnearable position.

As you ascend with the Band or Chain Loading, it loads the Muscles more in the Stronger Position. Strength is developled in a greater range of the movement.

3) Reverse Band Loading

4) Sling Shot Dips

Last edited:
IMHO, I feel that dips and pull-ups are similar in how they respond to added weight. I use BW for pull-ups until I hit 5x3 and then add 10lbs and repeat until I hit 5x3 again and repeat. I do this for dips but use 10 instead of 5. Both Pull-ups and dips are 3rd in the lineup for the day because they are not my priority but I feel that this regime works well for me. I find that 5 and 10 are where I start to cheat and joint pain starts to be a concern so those reps work for me

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom