all posts post new thread

Kettlebell See-saw press programming

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello,
I'm pondering spending some time on see-saw press. I think my body would benefit from the evening-out properties of alternating movement.
Does anybody have experience of doing some popular pressing programs (ROP, The Giant, KB Strong!, Soju and Tuba, DFW, etc.) changing C&P into a seesaw press? Did it work? Would it work?
Goals: General strength, resiliency, maybe some incidental hypertrophy.

I did it a few times on my 2nd run of Giant.

No, it didn't really work for me with the programming of the Giant because the see saw made me want to drop the weight a bit because the sets take twice as long.

You get extra fatigue from holding the rack position on the alternate side more than you expect.

Does anybody have experience of doing some popular pressing programs (ROP, The Giant, KB Strong!, Soju and Tuba, DFW, etc.) changing C&P into a seesaw press? Did it work? Would it work?
I did a run of The Giant like this, and it worked fine. I think any programming for double MP or C&P would work for seesaw press, although the seesaw press is less suited for a clean between each rep (see note below).

I think it's a great way to get into the double MP especially if your double overhead lockout is lacking. Lots of people are restricted in their double overhead position such that they have to use a lot of muscle power to fight against the restriction to reach and hold the lockout. If it's hard to hold the bells comfortably fixated in the lockout with the bells supported by your structure and alignment, the seesaw press is an excellent regression. You still get the effects of double cleans and supporting the weight of two bells, but with a lot more literal and figurative wiggle room overhead.

In Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Muscle program, the seesaw press is used as the light day press, whereas on the medium and heavy days all the overhead drills are double lockout.

No, it didn't really work for me with the programming of the Giant because the see saw made me want to drop the weight a bit because the sets take twice as long.

You get extra fatigue from holding the rack position on the alternate side more than you expect.
The seesaw press is different from the alternating press. In the seesaw press, you press one bell out of the rack and then press the other bell as you are lowering the first one (so one is going up while the other is coming down). Other than pressing the first side to start the set, and lowering the second side to end the set, you aren't holding a bell in the rack and it should take the same amount of time as regular double presses.

Edited to add: Actually, upon reflection, if you were doing seesaw C&P I can see what you mean. I think seesaw MP makes a lot more sense than seesaw C&P. With a clean before each press, you only get the seesaw effect on one side, and you do end up holding bells in the rack for more of the set. You could alternate which arm presses first to even things out, but it would be kind of kludgey. When I have used the seesaw press it's always been with only one clean to start the set.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom