all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Overall Health

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mo04

Level 6 Valued Member
This is a fascinating by Dr Peter Attia:

At 06:08 timestamp he mentions for overall health its more important to have your exercise in order before discussing nuances of supplementation and diet.

So for overall health, its more important to get exercise and then diet?

Really fascinated by his tests: dead hang time, VO2 max etc

At 06:08 timestamp he mentions for overall health its more important to have your exercise in order before discussing nuances of supplementation and diet.

So for overall health, its more important to get exercise and then diet?
That's not the first time I've heard that. Back when I trained with Steve Maxwell, while diet is very important, strength training is non-negotiable. It's the single most important thing you can do to stave off the effects of aging.

Great, I have no problem getting my workouts in, but eating discipline is much harder for me haha
I stuck a cheapo, free, calorie app on my phone mate. It has KB workout calories and running and judo and the running part links with my Garmin so on the days I run and do judo or kettlebells it factors in how much extra I have in the bank for that day. The interesting part is when it’s not a really active day and I’m only allowed the calories I need. It became quickly apparent just how gluttonous I’ve been all these years.

Human adapt in relation to the demands placed upon them 24 hours a day. They adapt as a whole organism. Epidemiologists measure changes in mortality rates and such like in an attempt to identify factors that might reduce mortablity (and morbidity). However, the result (morbidity) is associated with single factor, easy to measure things (assumed to be the cause). This means that such studies can provide a general guide but interpretation is required. For example, many people label sitting as a hazard as it is assumed to be due to it being sedentary (ie reduced physical activity). In many instances, the people sitting, such as when at work, are under stress. The role of stress may hence be under emphasized. The best approach is to adopt a life style that addresses the main factors eg stress, physical activity, diet, sleep and so on. It needs to be enjoyable in order to contribute to better living and reduced stress. Quality of life is important.

I don't think it is a matter of pick one factor and perfect that. One needs to keep activity, diet and so on within certain parameters determined by our evolutionary heritage in order to see a better outcome. Dan John and others also emphasis a need for sensible safe behaviours eg wearing seat belts, flossing teeth, being a careful pedestrian and so on. Doing obvious silly things can lead to injury or death that could easily have been avoided.

It's the single most important thing you can do to stave off the effects of aging.

Humans have no protective defense against being sedentary, for us it is literally a form of low grade chronic illness.

It would be interesting to see the VO2 max charts referenced (that show performance in running, rowing, biking as a function of age and sex). I looked but was unsuccessful.

Humans have no protective defense against being sedentary, for us it is literally a form of low grade chronic illness.

And a lot of the bad consequences of the "modern Western diet" aren't nearly as pathological if we had the activity levels of our ancestors.

Today it would be absolutely banal to see a man like this walking (or riding a scooter) around Disneyland or at WalMart:

aJ9W4eXEmisQ1qfJEV4N-Zqz2z55A-NWI3w-HBFVCwY.jpg

And yet that level of obesity was so rare 150 years ago that people would *pay money* to see it at a circus.

Really fascinated by his tests: dead hang time, VO2 max etc

If I caught what he said, it was:

--Bodyweight deadlift for 10 reps
--Dead hang for 1 min
--Wall sit for 2 min
--VO2 max of 75th percentile

I actually thought they were all very achievable and that was still a pretty low bar to begin seriously obsessing about supplements.

I think many people can achieve this list even with pretty horrible nutrition and sub-optimal programming.

I wonder how many of those tests could be covered by a snatch test. Some enterprising person working on their SF PhD should figure that out for us. Double Long Cycles could be good.

--Dead hang for 1 min
--Wall sit for 2 min

I actually thought they were all very achievable and that was still a pretty low bar to begin seriously obsessing about supplements.

I think many people can achieve this list even with pretty horrible nutrition and sub-optimal programming.
Those standards are very achievable, I feel like the dead hang would get people the most.

What would a 75th percentile vo2 max look like?

Those standards are very achievable, I feel like the dead hang would get people the most.

What would a 75th percentile vo2 max look like?

I was trying to figure that out using the calculator on the Concept 2 website.

It looks like their brackets are divided into quintiles, so for my bracket (male, 50-59), top 25% would be around 36-37?

--Dead hang for 1 min
--Wall sit for 2 min

Goal at his clinic for a 40 yr. old male is a 2 min. hang and a 2 min. 90 degree air squat.
Best exercise for bones, powerlifting.
Strong motor [ elite VO2 ] 400% less chance ACM.
Strong body [ based on his metrics ] 250% less chance ACM.

He does not use the DL for reps,
He uses a 2 min. farmer with 1/2 bw in each hand.

Last edited:
I’ve got a calorie app I just hardly use it at the moment!. I go through good and bad phases with eating discipline. Doesn’t bother me though.

Reactions: Kev
And a lot of the bad consequences of the "modern Western diet" aren't nearly as pathological if we had the activity levels of our ancestors.

Today it would be absolutely banal to see a man like this walking (or riding a scooter) around Disneyland or at WalMart:

aJ9W4eXEmisQ1qfJEV4N-Zqz2z55A-NWI3w-HBFVCwY.jpg

And yet that level of obesity was so rare 150 years ago that people would *pay money* to see it at a circus.
That dude would be considered dainty these days.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom