all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Callus management, how aggressive?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

HarryBergers

Level 6 Valued Member
Had my first callus rip in 9 years, ring finger, palm. No blood--was a partial blister from 3 days ago, caused by chalk.
I think the main issue is using chalk, making the bells grip my flesh.
How deeply do ya'll attack your calluses to avoid this from happening? Pumice stone doesn't get at the calluses on my palms--should I knife them out?

I use one of these:

Rogue-AGGRO-Ohio-Power-Bar-3X-AGGRO.jpg

Apply once to twice a week.

Had my first callus rip in 9 years, ring finger, palm. No blood--was a partial blister from 3 days ago, caused by chalk.
How deeply do ya'll attack your calluses to avoid this from happening? Pumice stone doesn't get at the calluses on my palms--should I knife them out?

Look for double sided "foot files" like this. Pumice stones are too big. Should be no need for blades. One side is like a really fine cheese grater, and the other side is like sandpaper to finish the job. The best ones are thin to get between the fingers. Mine is just over 2 cm. Use fairly often to prevent a buildup that would require blades. You want to keep a protective layer, so don't cut too deep if you do use blades.

Something like

Amazon product ASIN B09VWXRKSB

What were you doing when you got the blister and ripped it? Chalk can contribute, certainly, but overgripping/deathgripping the bells is usually the bigger problem. The other day I did a snatch workout of 240 reps with light weights and lots of chalk and had no issue - because they were light, the chalk was on my fingers and not my palms, my grip stayed loose the entire time.

I cut my calluses off when they're overgrown, then pumice them smooth. I usually do that whenever needed, and sometimes it isn't often. I use a very sharp knife, but would probably recommend what @North suggested to anyone else.

I use chalk. Haven't had a blister of any kind over the past two years and the last one I got was minor when I did continuous 16kg snatches for 100 minutes (or 2 hours - can't remember for sure). Technique matters a lot.

Callous shaver if the build up gets bad.

What were you doing when you got the blister and ripped it? Chalk can contribute, certainly, but overgripping/deathgripping the bells is usually the bigger problem. The other day I did a snatch workout of 240 reps with light weights and lots of chalk and had no issue - because they were light, the chalk was on my fingers and not my palms, my grip stayed loose the entire time.
I was doing IC with double 48s. I did a long IC with a 48 3 days prior and that aggravated my calluses, which have gotten much thicker since using chalk.

I'll be getting one or all suggested tools soon. Thanks.

sock sleeves have worked for me so far.
I've had several days where I forgot them and one day I did 10x10 snatches without them - and my hands definitely noticed. that was one of the few times I found pumice stone to be a good idea. and i went to the sink and used pumice under warm water to knock them down.
Lo Tech - Hi concept; preventative measure.

I've said this on similar threads many times - be careful if you're going to use a razor; it's very easy to cut too deep with them. Ask me how I know... A callous shaver has a guard making it a lot more idiot-proof.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom