all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Plyometrics for fencing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

3letterslong

Level 6 Valued Member
There are some very unique plyometrics in here and some of this stuff is really intriguing to me, such as the lunges at the 34:00 mark. I know several martial artists who've taken up fencing to work on the speed of their jab and at least one wrestler who credits it with his lightning takedowns.

They seem pretty fencing-specific
Agreed, though some of the movements were similar to a bjj/wrestling warmup- jogging, karaoke, stretching. Lunges were definitely sport specific— for wrestling stance-in-motion would be better.

The most unusual thing I noticed was the rapid arm movements— they look wacky, but they seem like good practice for fencing or hand fighting for wrestling.

Get Physical/The Wrestler’s Edge has great free resources on plyometrics for speed and power.

I had the opposite thought. When I saw the lunges I mentioned, I pictured myself doing them as drills for a wrestling shot. I think they could be pretty useful.
Wrestling shots don’t really look like that though. They are both not driving through and leaping back, which aren’t applicable to a shot.

Wrestling shots don’t really look like that though. They are both not driving through and leaping back, which aren’t applicable to a shot.

When I'm fighting an aggressive opponent, I'm frequently already in motion (in response to his charge) when i shoot for an opening. This means that sometimes my body has slight momentum to the left, right or rear when I see the opening and change levels. I think these drills would be excellent in teaching myself to redirect that energy without much tweaking needed.

And i think wearing a gi, if I've got a cross-sleave grip, dropping and lunging backwards like in the video (then pulling their arm across their body) would be a great set-up for a shot.

When I'm fighting an aggressive opponent, I'm frequently already in motion (in response to his charge) when i shoot for an opening. This means that sometimes my body has slight momentum to the left, right or rear when I see the opening and change levels. I think these drills would be excellent in teaching myself to redirect that energy without much tweaking needed.
You frequently level change and shoot, but then abandon and leap back? Why aren’t they tying you up or sprawling?

You frequently level change and shoot, but then abandon and leap back? Why aren’t they tying you up or sprawling?

No, I'm not perfectly stationary when I shoot so my level change isn't directly vertical. I'm frequently already in motion (as i respond to their aggressiveness) and sometimes have the force of my shot hindered by my momentum. This is only an issue against really aggressive guys who have me really moving fast to shut them down.

It sounds like you’re shooting way too far out, I don’t see the benefit to doing this?

Plus a good wrestler is going to see you leap back one time and then just blast double you the second time, you can’t sprawl if you’re leaping back.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom