all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Two Week Cycles PTTP and S&S

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheWolf

Level 2 Valued Member
Alright (despite my back still not 100% just yet) I began S&S today (back actually feels good after it). I switched over to S&S because I had done it before; loved it, and saw some decent health and fitness improvements.

However, I love and miss my deadlifts too, and have previously undertaken months of PTTP and EES-type programs. Taking an idea from reading that, once upon a time, Pavel Macek use to cycle PTTP and S&S every two weeks, I am considering doing the same.

My question is this however: If I cycle those two, would you recommend I that I do S&S (add two sets of heavier weight every four weeks) and PTTP (step load) as programmed?

Example:
Two Weeks: S&S @ 16kgs
Two Weeks: PTTP @ Consistent weight for the whole two weeks
Two Weeks: PTTP @ Consistent weight for the whole two weeks, but increased from last PTTP cycle
Two Weeks: S&S @ 16kgs, with two sets @ 24kgs
Two Weeks: PTTP @ Consistent weight for the whole two weeks, but increased from last PTTP cycle
Etc etc etc

Can you improve well in both systems this way?

Or would you do it all differently?

Wow, thanks. The first comment is literally what I would be doing...

I’m going to do Press Reset, two week blocs alternating S&S and PTTP

Reactions: Ege
Alright (despite my back still not 100% just yet) I began S&S today (back actually feels good after it). I switched over to S&S because I had done it before; loved it, and saw some decent health and fitness improvements.

However, I love and miss my deadlifts too, and have previously undertaken months of PTTP and EES-type programs. Taking an idea from reading that, once upon a time, Pavel Macek use to cycle PTTP and S&S every two weeks, I am considering doing the same.

My question is this however: If I cycle those two, would you recommend I that I do S&S (add two sets of heavier weight every four weeks) and PTTP (step load) as programmed?

Example:
Etc etc etc

That would work but I would look at doing 4-6 week long cycles of each. I can't see a ton of progress over a two week period before switching to something different, just my opinion.

Example:
Etc etc etc

You might enjoy this thread on block training:

I am currently alternating two week blocks of C&P and LCCJ, and progress is great. I would do S&S as written (2x two week blocks per step).

I have found benefit in doing a very light technique session the Saturday before switching blocks, practicing the upcoming movements.

Example:
Etc etc etc

I do a combination really. Typically I add 10 lbs per session to my deadlift. So I start the 2-week session with a weight I’m comfortable with. The second week I start with Tuesdays weight - if I feel comfortable doing so. If not I stay with the same weight.

The next 2-week session is a similar story. I can start with the same weight I used previous. Or add 10 lbs. Keep in mind I’ve been training for decades and pulled well over 600 lbs in competition. So I’m pretty familiar with how a deadlift feels to me.

I do the kb side press in my PTTP weeks, but my focus is more on rehabbing my shoulders. I’m also looking at doing weighted chin-ups using 5-3-2 as well - the TSC beckons!!

I prefer 2-week blocs as typically there is no drop in strength or conditioning after 2 weeks. Pavel is who I consider my coach - so I am following his advice. I’ve seen three suggestions from him. 2-week blocs. 12 week blocs. Or 2 sessions of S&S and 2 sessions of PTTP per week.

For S&S I follow the suggested progression. After I ‘own’ a weight for 100 swings I start by adding 20 swings with a heavier bell. I do this for 2 2-week sessions, then I add another 20 swings (now 40 in total) with the heavier bell. As with side presses, getups are primarily shoulder rehab. I’ve started the fighter pull-up program supersetted with getups. I’ll see how that goes, but anticipate starting my 2-week bloc with reps from the prior blocs last week. So if I finished with 5-5-4-3-2 I’d start the next bloc with 5-4-3-2-1 and finish with 6-6-5-4-3 after 2 weeks. But I’ll have to see how that goes.

On Fridays I typically do 2 minutes of snatches and then count the reps towards my 100 swings. So if I do 40 snatches I’ll take a 3-4 minute break and then do 60 swings in normal fashion. This is just to keep some shoulder conditioning and technique skill in the snatch.

Ok. That’s a lot of info. Hope you can get some ideas from it.

I think I'd use the S&S two week block to own the current bell size. If I wanted to transition up a bell, then I'd focus on that for four months and then switch to a rotation after hitting all twenty sets.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom