all posts post new thread

Barbell How to train for powerlifting weight class

Mylo

Level 1 Valued Member
Im beginner looking to do linear progression, my weight is 70 kg and want to stay around that. What rep range, method to use. Im interested in powerlifting and how they train to be in same weight class. Diet is mandatory but what rep ranges to use. If you can write about that.

Last edited:
That’s basically the premise behind most of StrongFirst principles. 3-5 reps, 3-5 sets, 3-5 days a week.

For Powerlifting you can start here:

And/or Reload:

That’s basically the premise behind most of StrongFirst principles. 3-5 reps, 3-5 sets, 3-5 days a week.

For Powerlifting you can start here:

And/or Reload:
Thanks

Last edited:
@Mylo, I recommend you read Pavel's book from 2001 entitled, "Power To The People!" where you'll find much of this discussed.

I have been a 67.5 kg powerlifter for the last 20 years. I weigh about 69.5 kg most days and drop to 67.5 in order to make weight for a competition. Some organizations have the weight class line drawn slightly differently, at 66, 67 or 70 kg, but most use 67.5.

-S-

@Mylo, I recommend you read Pavel's book from 2001 entitled, "Power To The People!" where you'll find much of this discussed.

I have been a 67.5 kg powerlifter for the last 20 years. I weigh about 69.5 kg most days and drop to 67.5 in order to make weight for a competition. Some organizations have the weight class line drawn slightly differently, at 66, 67 or 70 kg, but most use 67.5.

-S-
Thanks for answering, can you tell is there some typical total rep range your working in?
Are this methods good to go
1 to 4 Contrast Method
90%-1
80 or 85%-4
90 or 92.5%-1
82.5 or 87.5%-4
90 or 95%-1
85 or 90%-4

1/2/4/6 using 80-95%
95% x 1
90% x 2
85% x 4
80% x 6

3 x 3 90%

5x2 90%

10 x 1 Workout, Low-Volume Plan
Week 1: 10 sets of 1 rep 90%
Week 2: 5 sets of 2 reps
Week 3: 4 sets of 3 reps
Week 4: 3 sets of 4 reps
Week 5: 2 sets of 5 reps
Week 6: 1 set for AMRAP
Week 7: Add weight and start over

Alternating between 3x5 85% and 3x3 90% every workout

6 weeks program
Week 1
Set 1 80%-2
Set 2 86%-2
Set 3 92.5%-2
Week 2
Set 1 80%-4
Set 2 87.5%-3
Set 3 95%-2
Week 3
Set 1 80%-2
Set 2 86%-2
Set 3 92%-2
Set 4 97.5%-2
Week 4
Set 1 80%-5
Set 2 87.5%-4
Set 3 95%-3
Week 5
Set 1 80%-2
Set 2 86%-2
Set 3 92.5%-2
Set 4 100%-2
Week 6
Set 1 80%-2
Set 2 86%-1
Set 3 92.5%-4
Add 10-pounds

Last edited:
Thanks for answering, can you tell is there some typical total rep range your working in?
Short on time, will try to answer the rest of your post later, but to the question above, standard PlanStrong/StrongFirst guidance is to train with 1/3 to 2/3 max reps at a given weight.

There are, of course, individual goals to be considered, e.g., I'm a competitive deadlifter and thus often practice that lift as a "set of singles". I'm also 68 years old so I do some training now that, 20 years ago, felt like it was going to move me up a weight class.

The simple maxim of "do half what you could" is good for strength training. 1/3 to 2/3 RM give it sufficient variety.

-S-

Im beginner looking to do linear progression, my weight is 70 kg and want to stay around that. What rep range, method to use. Im interested in powerlifting and how they train to be in same weight class. Diet is mandatory but what rep ranges to use. If you can write about that.
Linear progression is super simple to get started on. Don't worry about over complicating it. Just go in and do work. 3 sets of 5 is a great starting point - add 5lbs each session. If you want a more inclusive rep range, I would say 5-8 reps is great for the beginner.

When you hit a wall, come back and say "this is what I did, this is how long I did it, and doing that got me from here to there. What next?" Adding age, gender, height/weight, and training history will help a lot then.

For staying 70kg, that really depends on what that 70kg looks like, and how old you are. A 70kg 15 year old male that is 6 foot tall is a totally different person than a 70kg 50 year old 5 foot tall female.

I can't emphasize this enough:

Do not overcomplicate it. Simple works REALLY WELL for a beginner. What you need is hard work and consistency.

Get Pavel's Power to the People and read it cover to cover. Then go through the chapter on Rogozhnikov and apply those principles but do it every other day instead of every 4rd day. Done. It is a very good program when applied this way. APRE is another method and there are several articles out there. I compete in PL and can give you a crapload of info. DM me if you need more.

So you're gonna compete in the 74-75kg class??

What are your numbers like at the moment?

Are you working with any coach for form checks?

Back
Top Bottom