all posts post new thread

Kettlebell hi, i new here, hope that i'm on the right forum

Yosef

Level 1 Valued Member
i want to ask about your certifications.
i learn the sport style and i want to ask if my technique will be acceptable to your certifications too. snatches, swings etc.
you could see me here, im a little obese 45yo.
except the jerk that i changed a little to be more "from the ground", the rest of the movements are the same, i know that the squats should be deeper too.

another 2 questions:
1. do you allow to to jerk in the level 1 test?
2. is tactical snatches considered in your 100 snatches test?

thank you.

Thank you, Larry and Renegadenate!
I understand that the technique used in kettlebell (KB) sport differs from Hard style. A master of KB sport observed my technique and provided feedback, just regarding the jerk. According to the standards of the sport, I believe my technique meets the requirements for a passing grade (However, I am aware that there is always room for improvement, even though it may take many years to reach perfection).
My question is whether, as testers with StrongFirst certifications, you would consider my sport-style technique to be acceptable or not. After watching the aforementioned video, it was challenging for me to discern the specific rules that I might be violating (I do not possess the trained eye of a StrongFirst tester). For instance, does the hip movement during the swing violate any certification rules? Does the angle at which I position my back in the rack also violate any rules? Its little hard to me to check all this.
maybe the answer is simply - it isnt our style, and it isnt acceptable. this is an answer too.

about "the only real “test” is the 5 min snatch test" this is my feeling too :) but if i could do "tactical snatches" in it, i mean to "high" hand replacement, and it considered in the account, its much easier. i could replace hands even every 10 snatches without wasting too much time.

My question is whether, as testers with StrongFirst certifications, you would consider my sport-style technique to be acceptable or not. After watching the aforementioned video, it was challenging for me to discern the specific rules that I might be violating (I do not possess the trained eye of a StrongFirst tester). For instance, does the hip movement during the swing violate any certification rules? Does the angle at which I position my back in the rack also violate any rules? Its little hard to me to check all this.
maybe the answer is simply - it isnt our style, and it isnt acceptable. this is an answer too.
No, sport style would not pass at a SFG cert. The technique has to be nearly impeccable according to SFG standards.

Take a video of yourself performing the SFG tested lifts according to their standards:

• 1-Arm Swings (you'll need to perform plenty of 2-Arm Swings all weekend with correct form).

• Double Kettlebell Cleans

• Double Kettlebell Presses

• Double Kettlebell Front Squats

• Get-ups (1 per side)

• 1-Arm Snatches

challenging for me to discern the specific rules that I might be violating (I do not possess the trained eye of a StrongFirst tester). For instance, does the hip movement during the swing violate any certification rules?
There must be no forward movement of the knees during the upswing, with SFG I standards. That in itself will transform the swing quite a bit from kettlebell sport (GS) style.

Yosef,
Nice work in the video - you've obviously put some time in training w. KBs. The short answer is 'no' - your technique will not pass muster at a "hardstyle" kettlebell certification. Spend some time looking over videos and/or work with some people/coaches who practice hardstyle kettlebell swings, snatches, etc, and then come back and post some new technique videos - people will be able to give you better feedback when your technique is a bit closer to typical hardstyle standards.

The jerk is not a part of the level one certification as far as I know.

@Yosef, I think a martial arts analogy is appropriate here. If you've ever studied one, you'll know each has its own way of doing things. Of course, there are similarities, but the point I wanted to make was that if you were testing for Martial Art A, you wouldn't perform a kata you learned while studying Martial Art B. We at StrongFirst don't like to criticize other systems and you are welcomed to do whatever you wish, but if you wish to become certified to teach our system, we expect you to be able to demonstrate our system and we aren't interested in seeing it another way at our instructor certifications. E.g., just because two different martial arts have something called an "elbow strike" doesn't mean they perform them the same way.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

-S-

Interesting. The form for the one arm swings looks quite comical with his non-working arm doing that fist pump.

And I always thought for the longest time that get up required a position between posting up on the hand and singing the leg underneath that resembles a sort of side plank. I guess not. To think I've done it that way all this time.

Doesn't matter how it looks if it works. I've tried (with questionable success/consistency) to shoot for keeping my non-working arm against my side, thinking that taking it out of the movement will force maximum glute recruitment.

Doesn't matter how it looks if it works. I've tried (with questionable success/consistency) to shoot for keeping my non-working arm against my side, thinking that taking it out of the movement will force maximum glute recruitment.
We teach it the way we do because our experience has taught us that this is better. I’m cannot speak with the experience and expertise of @Brett Jones but I can tell you that when I’m looking for “maximum glute recruitment” I don’t do one-arm swings, I do heavier-than-I-can-swing-with-one-arm” two-arm swings, or I do heavier-than-I-can-swing deadlifts with a barbell.

-S-

I tried it with my 60 lb I have at home. Just a few reps per side. It doesn't feel bad. I just don't know what it's doing. I'm open to hearing the theory behind it. Thanks @Steve Freides

If we want to drive the legs harder running up hill the cue is to pump the arms harder.
If we want to jump higher or broadjump farther then the swinging of the arms can assist us.

"Snapping" the non-kettlebell arm up into the "guard position" can get quicker and more powerful hip action/extension.

Lion’s Roar Kettlebell Snatch | StrongFirst

Just be sure the "backswing" of the non-kettlebell arm does not become a "driver" of the hinge with torso rotation etc.

@Brett Jones, thank you.

@David Mary, you might consider some StrongFirst education - we have online courses, in-person courses, books that discuss the swing like Kettlebell Simple & Sinister, and instructors who can work with you in person or online.

-S-

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom