all posts post new thread

Dr. Pope Moseley podcast

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
Found a good podcast to share which mentions Pavel, StrongFirst, and kettlebells.

In this podcast, Dr. Pope Moseley talks about heat shock proteins, healthy aging, and kettlebells. I like what he has to say about the benefits of kettlebell training!

(From Instructor Profile)
Dr. Pope Moseley MD, MS, SFG II is a lung and intensive care physician and biomedical sciences researcher. He was elected as a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine. Dr. Moseley served as Dean for Research, Director of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, and Chair of Internal Medicine at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Dean of the College of Medicine of the University of Arkansas, and Professor of Disease Systems Biology at the University of Copenhagen. Dr. Moseley is an internationally recognized expert on the cellular adaptations to exercise stress and mechanisms of overtraining. His research defined the role of heat shock proteins in modulating inflammation and autophagy in exercising humans. These data help explain the anti-inflammatory and health benefits of exercise as well as the cellular mechanisms of inflammation and injury in overtraining and heat injury. Dr. Moseley became a StrongFirst Certified SFG I Instructor at age sixty-four and an SFG II at age sixty-seven. He writes about strength training and resilience in aging on Instagram @popemoseley.

He has a recent article with StrongFirst: Three Pillars for Healthy Aging | StrongFirst

The podcast is below, time linked to the most relevant section, although the whole podcast is good.

My favorite part, about rest between intervals, when people don't pay attention to how important that is. "Use the rest interval to build." He says when people ignore the importance of the rest interval with something like negative intervals (longer work periods with shorter rest periods), "It's like saving the peel and throwing away the banana." This is one of the hidden benefits of A+A training -- the rest between repeats!

Found a good podcast to share which mentions Pavel, StrongFirst, and kettlebells.

In this podcast, Dr. Pope Moseley talks about heat shock proteins, healthy aging, and kettlebells. I like what he has to say about the benefits of kettlebell training!

Dr. Pope Moseley MD, MS, SFG II is a lung and intensive care physician and biomedical sciences researcher. He was elected as a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine. Dr. Moseley served as Dean for Research, Director of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, and Chair of Internal Medicine at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Dean of the College of Medicine of the University of Arkansas, and Professor of Disease Systems Biology at the University of Copenhagen. Dr. Moseley is an internationally recognized expert on the cellular adaptations to exercise stress and mechanisms of overtraining. His research defined the role of heat shock proteins in modulating inflammation and autophagy in exercising humans. These data help explain the anti-inflammatory and health benefits of exercise as well as the cellular mechanisms of inflammation and injury in overtraining and heat injury. Dr. Moseley became a StrongFirst Certified SFG I Instructor at age sixty-four and an SFG II at age sixty-seven. He writes about strength training and resilience in aging on Instagram @popemoseley.

He has a recent article with StrongFirst: Three Pillars for Healthy Aging | StrongFirst

The podcast is below, time linked to the most relevant section, although the whole podcast is good.

My favorite part, about rest between intervals, when people don't pay attention to how important that is. "Use the rest interval to build." He says when people ignore the importance of the rest interval with something like negative intervals (longer work periods with shorter rest periods), "It's like saving the peel and throwing away the banana." This is one of the hidden benefits of A+A training -- the rest between repeats!

Thanks for posting this! I'm not usually a podcast person, but I've decided to commit to A+A training for the rest of the year and have been thinking about this stuff lately. I'll listen to it tomorrow

True story about the opportunity for heat shock training in Phoenix.

True story about the opportunity for heat shock training in Phoenix.
New article from Dr. Pope Moseley about studying heat related illness there:

His research defined the role of heat shock proteins in modulating inflammation and autophagy in exercising humans.
Heat Shock Proteins

I have posted information on the forum about this.

Auckland University of Technology
New Zealand Research

Heat Acclimation Training (1:15 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=Y1OxxOnCH90

Hyperthermic conditioning for exercise performance (4:07 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=0RtsmxOl764

ACE-SPONSORED RESEARCH: The Performance Benefits of Training with a Sauna Suit

The performance outcomes for all participants at baseline and post-training are shown in Table 2. As you can see, there were significant improvements in VO2max, ventilatory threshold, and 5K heat and temperate time trials in the treatment group. All performance outcomes were unchanged in the control group.

SaunaSuitTable2.jpg

Shocking Muscle Growth
Shocking Muscle Growth -
Posted by: Jerry Brainum

,,,Important to both health and bodybuilding. ,,,Increased protein synthesis. ...Increased muscle protein synthesis is the very core of gains in muscle size and strength,

New article from Dr. Pope Moseley about studying heat related illness there:

Interesting with the blood born infections, hot enough to incubate and proliferate, not hot enough to cook them, like a fever.

Back
Top Bottom