all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed GPP endurance program idea using A+A and LISS

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Georgiaoutdoors

Level 5 Valued Member
Still mulling around ideas for a GPP program that maintains overall functional strength and ability to meet daily life demands (carrying children, working around the house and yard, etc), maintains muscle mass in my 40s, keeps me fit in the case of an emergency, and has a slight bias towards endurance for my chosen sports (trail running, OCR, backpacking). Would love feedback and ideas.

Here's what I am thinking:
3 days per week of LISS training - either running or rucking
2 days per week of A+A training
1 day per week of chassis integrity (probably TGU) and brief glycolytic work capacity (possibly some combination of: prone to sprint, crawling, and/or carries).

Additionally I tend to do a morning mobility routine, try to take a few breaks during the day for "movement snacks," and have a smattering of easy walks with my wife and child.

For A+A I'm looking at choosing from: swings, LCCJ, pushups, pull-ups, and jumping split squats.

I figure I could cycle like this for quite a while:
Cycle A - 4-6 weeks focused on progressing in A+A and keeping LISS constance.
Cycle B - 4-6 weeks keep A+A constant as progress endurance by either increasing LISS volume or adding something like 10-15second strides every 5 minutes of running.
Cycle C - switch to some sort of more traditional strength/hypertrophy focus with sets of 5-6 and longer rests.

Then if I have a specific event or planned adventure coming up I can do a even specific training cycle and taper before.

Thoughts?

Still mulling around ideas for a GPP program that maintains overall functional strength and ability to meet daily life demands (carrying children, working around the house and yard, etc), maintains muscle mass in my 40s, keeps me fit in the case of an emergency, and has a slight bias towards endurance for my chosen sports (trail running, OCR, backpacking). Would love feedback and ideas.

Here's what I am thinking:
3 days per week of LISS training - either running or rucking
2 days per week of A+A training
1 day per week of chassis integrity (probably TGU) and brief glycolytic work capacity (possibly some combination of: prone to sprint, crawling, and/or carries).

Additionally I tend to do a morning mobility routine, try to take a few breaks during the day for "movement snacks," and have a smattering of easy walks with my wife and child.

For A+A I'm looking at choosing from: swings, LCCJ, pushups, pull-ups, and jumping split squats.

I figure I could cycle like this for quite a while:
Cycle A - 4-6 weeks focused on progressing in A+A and keeping LISS constance.
Cycle B - 4-6 weeks keep A+A constant as progress endurance by either increasing LISS volume or adding something like 10-15second strides every 5 minutes of running.
Cycle C - switch to some sort of more traditional strength/hypertrophy focus with sets of 5-6 and longer rests.

Then if I have a specific event or planned adventure coming up I can do a even specific training cycle and taper before.

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me.
Very similar to Victor's routine outlined here:

Looks good to me, I have run something similar over the past year or so:

2 days of Iron Cardio
2 days of snatch practice
2 days of zone 2
1 day variety/zone 2/rest

As someone without any specific goals other than ageing as well as I can it works for me.

I don’t know what chassis integrity means.
I guess I think of it as meaning something along the lines of Having a muscle-skeletal system that is mobile, stable, and works together well as a whole unit, especially in the injury prone areas (such as lower back and shoulders for me) so that it can handle the loads I'm putting it under, not break down, and have limited chance of injury. For me it would include certain mobility work, TGU, and core exercises.

Last edited:
Sounds about like my plan: currently 2-4 A+A sessions/week, and 2 Zone 2 sessions.

I don’t know what chassis integrity means.

I guess I think of it as meaning something along the lines of Having a muscle-skeletal system that is mobile, stable, and works together well as a whole unit, especially in the injury prone areas (such as lower back and shoulders for me) so that it can handle the loads I'm putting it under, not break down, and have limited chance of injury. For me it would include certain mobility work, TGU, and core exercises.
I like that definition. Al Ciampa introduced that concept to me in his PT manual and called it "rebuilding the chassis." Something akin to the eastern concept of the "4 knots" as explained by Master SFG Doc Cheng and tying everything together. Also mentioned in this podcast I posted today. Dr. Pope Mosely describes it as "tightening what you need to tighten, and generating force from your core."

Still mulling around ideas for a GPP program that maintains overall functional strength and ability to meet daily life demands (carrying children, working around the house and yard, etc), maintains muscle mass in my 40s, keeps me fit in the case of an emergency, and has a slight bias towards endurance for my chosen sports (trail running, OCR, backpacking).

I would do Aleks Salkins' 9-Minute Challenge, building up to some heavy movements, and S&S.

LISS a couple times a week.

My idea is S&S and IC 3x/week and LISS work throughout the week (including walking my very actively minded dog whilst wearing a 20 lbs weight vest).

I wonder about using this, or maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of the total goal time as a warmup for workouts?

Could also certainly do it as “movement snacks” throughout the day.

I've been using it with tremendously heavy movements as a significant part of my actual workout for almost a year now and I can't say enough good things about it.

I start with super heavy movements that I can do for 12 sets of 15 seconds (3 minutes total work) and work up to sets of 60 or 90 seconds. It's giving me all the results the OP asked for. I've made a couple of changes to the program (my two handed carries are hang variations from a pull-up bar, and one crawling day is replaced with a rocking variation that challenges a specific body part, usually my legs). I've been doing farmer's carries, frontload carries, shoulder carries and bearhug carries with kettlebells and sandbags. I've put a weight vest on and done one-legged rocking with my hands raised onto a box. I've used a weightvest and dumbells to do loaded marching. My crawls are either done with bent arms or going backwards up an incline.

I'm just so in love with this program I can't say enough good things about the strength and endurance it's built in me (as well as fixing a bunch of dysfunction along the way).

I've been running Justin's "Novocaine" Protocol since February with some great results.

All-Around Training for the Tactical Athlete | StrongFirst

Mixes everything well, all based on SF principles, and highly adaptable to personal goals (in my case, balancing with my jiujitsu training). I'm getting leaner, stronger, and just PR'd my Murph with no specific training (even with doing 100 extra squats by mistake smh).

Running 3 days a week, strength 2 days a week and Saturdays are step-up days. My strength right now is crawls and marching for warm-up A+A for 30 minutes or so, and carries to finish.

I will be 57 next week and have cervical spondylosis, so I can do this and stay pain free. I also like to run at least one ultra a year, and this is all I need to be able to complete one.

Back
Top Bottom