all posts post new thread

SFG1 Pressing tips

Rooke

First Post
I'm having trouble progressing with kettlebell military press for SFG1 cert at the end of the month. I am not solid with my five reps. Three reps are good, occasionally five come out good but not consistent.
Any tips?

Work with an SFG on your press in person or long-distance. Post video of your press here for comments and suggestions.

-S-

I'm having trouble progressing with kettlebell military press for SFG1 cert at the end of the month. I am not solid with my five reps. Three reps are good, occasionally five come out good but not consistent.
Any tips?
How are you training your press?

I would suggest Rite of Passage (ROP) with Ladders of (1-2-3) x 3-5 sets following the Heavy, Light, Medium format (number of ladders not weight).

For example:

Monday: 1-2-3 Ladder x 3 sets/rounds (Light)
Wednesday: 1-2-3 Ladder x 4 sets/rounds (Medium)
Friday: 1-2-3 Ladder x 5 sets/rounds (Heavy)

You can switch the days around to better suit you. Some people will do better with the Medium day on Monday, Heavy day on Wednesday, and Light day on Friday (or Light, Heavy, Medium).

Last edited:
Above you will see two different areas to work on your press in the two previous responses: one about form, and the other about progamming. Both are, of course, possible issues for you.

-S-

Great responses this is also why you need to work with an instructor. 1-2 sessions will get you moving towards your goal faster.

Yeah thanks for the great responses peeps,
I am currently training with Tim Bate, SFGll, instructor and using Brett Jones' program for the structure. Three days in there with pressing amongst the other skills. My focus now is on the areas of weakness being the Press and in the background the fear of the snatch test:)
Tim has also suggested and we have programmed the ladders in to the training, which I have started two days ago. Was interested in others strategies.

Thanks again.

Yeah thanks for the great responses peeps,
I am currently training with Tim Bate, SFGll, instructor and using Brett Jones' program for the structure. Three days in there with pressing amongst the other skills. My focus now is on the areas of weakness being the Press and in the background the fear of the snatch test:)
Tim has also suggested and we have programmed the ladders in to the training, which I have started two days ago. Was interested in others strategies.

Thanks again.
Tim is a great fellow. Tell him you got to chat with me here

Under 60kg = 20kg

Over 60kg = 24kg

Then it goes to 28kg and 32kg depending on body-weight.
Here's the updated list

Here's the updated list

I like that much better for those of us on the lighter side. Although I've been using kettlebells since 2001, I refused to get certified years ago because everyone had to use 24kg (or more). At a body-weight of 125-132lbs, a 24kg is heavy for the Snatch test.

I had to be under 60kg when I originally certified in 2015 to use 20kg. Now it's more in line with what the RKC does. However, under 150lbs, I was able to use 18kg. :D

This also gives me some leeway on body-weight up to 150lbs as I am heavier now than I used to be.

Back
Top Bottom