all posts post new thread

Would you agree with this statement?

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
"Good physical health will always lead to good mental health."

As heard on one of many podcasts I listen to. I think this was geared towards people who already struggle with mental health issues, specially clinical depression, bipolar and PTSD.

Comment, discuss. I have no real direction for this thread. May chime in later with my own thoughts.

"Good physical health will always lead to good mental health."

As heard on one of many podcasts I listen to. I think this was geared towards people who already struggle with mental health issues, specially clinical depression, bipolar and PTSD.

Comment, discuss. I have no real direction for this thread. May chime in later with my own thoughts.
"Good physical health is a prerequisite for good mental health."

Good physical health provides a favorable environment for good mental health to exist, and facilitates the physiology and processes needed for it to flourish.

Unfortunately there are many mental health issues that cannot be fixed simply with good physical health. So I definitely would not agree with the original statement, "Good physical health will always lead to good mental health."

Good physical health provides a favorable environment for good mental health to exist, and facilitates the physiology and processes needed for it to flourish.

Unfortunately there are many mental health issues that cannot be fixed simply with good physical health. So I definitely would not agree with the original statement, "Good physical health will always lead to good mental health."
This is the best answer on here so far. This is my profession and I agree 100%

Good physical health will most often improve mental health, but it does not automatically lead to good mental health.

It was a combat vet, if that means anything.
Zero disrespect intended, but it means they are a combat vet. Can they empathize better w. other vets? Of course, but that doesn't mean they are particularly qualified to give mental health advice.

Being in good physical shape is going to put someone in a better position to be mentally healthy, but that doesn't mean it's necessary or that it will always lead to positive mental/emotional outcomes. How many people in great shape do you know that are kind of a mess? I know quite a few, and a couple of them left this world of their own volition. Would they have left sooner if they hadn't been in shape? I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom