all posts post new thread

Combimation of 3x5 and 5x5

wollff

Level 1 Valued Member
Is it good thing for early stage novice ( where you gain a lot of strength from workout to workout , i don know in precentage but that decrease as time goes)to combinate 5x5 and 3x5 rep sheme, 5x5 is to much for doing it every workout 2 times a week for longer time as linear progression and 3x5 as some say low on volium.
Doing 5x5 80% of 1 RM for one workout and add 3 kg for BP ( on stroglifts is recomended 2.5 kg) because next time your doing lower rep sheme and volium.
Next workout doing 3x5 or 1x5 1x5 1x5+ (whith AMRAP) for one workout and add 1.5 kg, would novice gain enough strenght with 3x5 to add 1.5 kg the weight already can done 5x5 and make it on 5x5 day?
I was thinking of this because novice won't get used to same rep scheme and volium and have lighter day which is less fatigueing but still add weight every.
P.s. the adding weights can be smaller than 3 and 1.5 kg ( somthing like 2 and 1 kg)

Last edited:
Yes, that can definitely work. But rather than tryin to create your own program, why not just use a proven program like 5/3/1 which does a very similar rep scheme. My favorite thing about 5/3/1 is that every set is different, kind of like you are describing.

Yes, that can definitely work. But rather than tryin to create your own program, why not just use a proven program like 5/3/1 which does a very similar rep scheme. My favorite thing about 5/3/1 is that every set is different, kind of like you are describing.
Hi, im not asking for my self i was jus thinking about that will early novice gain enough strenght with 3x5 to do 5x5 with weight that already can do +1 kg or 0.5kg.
But 531 is not linear progression where you add weight every workout.

Last edited:
I it good thing to combinate 3x5 and 5x5 rep sheme, 5x5 is to much for doing it every workout 2 times a week for longer time as linear progression and 3x5 as some say low on volium.
Doing 5x5 80% of 1 RM for one workout and add 3 kg for BP ( on stroglifts is recomended 2.5 kg) because nekst time your doing lower rep sheme and volium.
Doing 3x5 or 1x5 1x5 1x5+ (whith AMRAP) for one workout and add 1.5 kg, would you gain enough strenght to do that 1.5 kg weight on 5x5 day ?
I was thinking of this because you won't get used to same rep scheme and volium and have lighter day which is less fatigueing but still add weight every.
P.s. the adding weights can be smaller than 3 and 1.5 kg ( somthing like 2 and 1 kg)
There are pros and cons for both rep schemes.
5x5 is a great stimulus, much better than 3x5. But it may be harder to recover.
So, you can do mostly 5x5 and change it to 3x5 for some weeks to recover and have supercompensation.

Hi, im not asking for my self i was jus thinking about that will early novice gain enough strenght with 3x5 to do 5x5 with weight that already can do +1 kg or 0.5kg.
But 531 is not linear progression where you add weight every workout.
It is a wavy linear progression program, but yes, the overall premise would work. Reload also uses a similar progression, where you start with a 1x5rm and turn it into a 5x5.

You might want to check out Mark Reifkind's Triple Progression article on Strongfirst. It's got an emphasis on choosing reps to keep your form perfect (which is exactly what beginners need) that generally follows the 3-5 x 3-5 format.

(There's also an explanatory video by Louka on youtube that I needed to clear up some stuff in the article, so you might want to check that out.)

GZCLP is sort of what you want, but organized more thoughtfully for longer term run. (Although it does go 10x3, 6x2, 10x1 but it has the variable volume that you fail towards until a reset) It doesn’t vary the volume by workout, it does it upon stalls. By workout you would be better off with Madcow.

76FA3ED3-884F-4FEF-8701-2C7E89D7D378.png

What do you think, can you make linear progression with 3x3 or 1x3 1x3 1x3+ AMRAP at 80% of 1RM? It is for people who want pure strength gains, low on volume and its not mass builder, can it make progerssion happens and for how long? Adding 1 or 0.5 kg upper lifts and 2 or 1 kg for lower lifts.

Can somebody write about easy strength when to add weigts and how much, precentage of trening, days in the week?
I saw it has rep shemes like: 2x5,3x3,10x1,6x1,5x2,1234,532,2323,... when to use each one of these?

What do you think, can you make linear progression with 3x3 or 1x3 1x3 1x3+ AMRAP at 80% of 1RM? It is for people who want pure strength gains, low on volume and its not mass builder, can it make progerssion happens and for how long? Adding 1 or 0.5 kg upper lifts and 2 or 1 kg for lower lifts.

Can somebody write about easy strength when to add weigts and how much, precentage of trening, days in the week?
I saw it has rep shemes like: 2x5,3x3,10x1,6x1,5x2,1234,532,2323,... when to use each one of these?
In my case I'm using the sets/reps schemes for the Deadlift:

6x1 - See what my Sorta-Max for that lift is.
5,3,2 - Add weight, but make that double, per Dan John. Note the loadings of the '5', '3', and '2'
2x5 - First set equals or adds 5 lbs to the '5' of 5,3,2 day, and second set is 90% load of first set, a la PTTP
3x3 - Around the '3' load of the 5,3,2
5x2 - around the load of the '2' load of the 5,3,2
5,3,2 - Sets across, adding weight to the 2x5 day.
2x5 - Add more to the previous 5,3,2 day
6x1 -or- 5,3,2 adding weight again

I use the 6x1 as a 'check' where I'm at every 8-16x sessions. I took the number from PTTP for cycle length.

Take a moderately heavy weight, lift it roughly 10 times in whatever set/rep scheme you want.
When it becomes lighter add weight.

Keep the same exercises until you don't progress on them anymore. Train as often as you consistently can.

The big thing is to just do it and do it consistently. Let it be simple. If you moved up in weight after 20-30 workouts you are doing it right.

Take a moderately heavy weight, lift it roughly 10 times in whatever set/rep scheme you want.
When it becomes lighter add weight.

Keep the same exercises until you don't progress on them anymore. Train as often as you consistently can.

The big thing is to just do it and do it consistently. Let it be simple. If you moved up in weight after 20-30 workouts you are doing it right.

You know, I've been trying to figure out how to use Easy Strength without a barbell and this summary was magic. Thanks.

Dan John does a good job explaining this in the Easy Strength Omnibook.
It's a great read and I'm currently on my second way through it.
Also, Dan often explains these things on his weekly YouTube show which I recommend.
I don't think he talks about micro loading either.

Also, Dan often explains these things on his weekly YouTube show which I recommend.
I don't think he talks about micro loading either.

I'm not a barbell guy. Does his omnibus cover things like kettlebells, calisthenics or sandbags? I want it so badly, but i don't know if I would get much use out of it.

I'm not a barbell guy. Does his omnibus cover things like kettlebells, calisthenics or sandbags? I want it so badly, but i don't know if I would get much use out of it.
Those topics are covered but I don't think in the way you mean.
For example, there is a big section on loaded carries and I think Dan John would more likely programme bear hug carries with a sandbag than cleans or getups.
The book is more of a philosophy than a set of fixed training programmes.
He talks about chin ups, kettlebell swings, cleans and front squats.
Easy Strength is definitely adaptable to non-barbell lifts.
It's not an expensive purchase so I'd recommend it. Failing that, listen to a few of his recent YouTube videos and I'm sure you can get a feel for yourself.

I also love Dan's podcast. I remember him saying on one of his podcasts that he would get someone to do a set of 5 and if they got it fairly easily he'd get them to do a second set with a slightly heavier weight. If they got it easily that would be the starting weight next day and they'd keep going and leapfrogging like that till it got hard. It seems to be a good way to program in linear progression.

Eg I thought I'd try it myself. I recently bought a squat bar. I wasn't used to it so I decided to just start at 60kg and really hone in the form and do easy strength with it. Workout 1 was 60x5 and 70x5. Workout 2 70x5 and 80x5. Then 80 and 85, then 90 and 95. Well you get the idea. Going to keep going like that till I get to 140kg. If a weight gets tough I will do it with 3x3 then 5,3,2, then 5,5 a couple of times. I expect 120ish onwards I might work with a weight for a week using different reps.

At some stage I bought Strongfirsts Reload which has some other Linear Progressions in it and might be what the OP wants.

I also love Dan's podcast. I remember him saying on one of his podcasts that he would get someone to do a set of 5 and if they got it fairly easily he'd get them to do a second set with a slightly heavier weight. If they got it easily that would be the starting weight next day and they'd keep going and leapfrogging like that till it got hard. It seems to be a good way to program in linear progression.

Eg I thought I'd try it myself. I recently bought a squat bar. I wasn't used to it so I decided to just start at 60kg and really hone in the form and do easy strength with it. Workout 1 was 60x5 and 70x5. Workout 2 70x5 and 80x5. Then 80 and 85, then 90 and 95. Well you get the idea. Going to keep going like that till I get to 140kg. If a weight gets tough I will do it with 3x3 then 5,3,2, then 5,5 a couple of times. I expect 120ish onwards I might work with a weight for a week using different reps.

At some stage I bought Strongfirsts Reload which has some other Linear Progressions in it and might be what the OP wants.
I made some good progress on Reload...!

Back
Top Bottom