all posts post new thread

Clean & Press Ladders - Help moving beyond 32

Blackstar

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm currently working through ladders with a 32, currently sitting at 5 sets of 1,2,3 each each (1L, 1R, 2L, 2R...) and have bought a 40 which is now my heavy bell.

I can clean the 40 no problem at all but when strict pressing it can only lift it a few inches. If I give it a tiny push to get it going I can press it.

Question is: how do I get a strict press on it? Should I get a 36? Or keep push pressing it with the 32 ladders up to 1,2,3,4,5?

Ive also recently started shoulder pressing a proper sized barbell as well.

I'm currently working through ladders with a 32, currently sitting at 5 sets of 1,2,3 each each (1L, 1R, 2L, 2R...) and have bought a 40 which is now my heavy bell.

I can clean the 40 no problem at all but when strict pressing it can only lift it a few inches. If I give it a tiny push to get it going I can press it.

Question is: how do I get a strict press on it? Should I get a 36? Or keep push pressing it with the 32 ladders up to 1,2,3,4,5?

I like the 1-5 ladder idea, since I'm guessing you'll need a 10+ RM with a 32 to get to a 40 press. Heavy BB MP also a good idea, as well as a single arm BB MP.

Question is: how do I get a strict press on it? Should I get a 36?
That is the next option after what I put below.

Or keep push pressing it with the 32 ladders up to 1,2,3,4,5?
Once you can work up to 4 x 1-2-3-4-5 Ladders (60 reps) with the 32kg, you can then work up to 5x 2-4-6 Ladders (60 reps). Once you can do that, move up to the 36kg and start over working up to 4 x 1-2-3-4-5 Ladders, and eventually 5 x 2-4-6 Ladders, and then you should be able to press the 40kg.

Last edited:
That is the next option after what I put below.

Once you can work up to 4 x 1-2-3-4-5 Ladders (60 reps) with the 32kg, you can then work up to 5x 2-4-6 Ladders (60 reps). Once you can do that, move up to the 36kg and start over working up to 4 x 1-2-3-4-5 Ladders, and eventually 5 x 2-4-6 Ladders, and then you should be able to press the 40kg.
Thanks - this seems like a good approach

How much do you weigh?
I don't know exactly as haven't weighed myself in years. I'm 6 foot tall with a big frame. Probably carrying 2 stone of fat over what I should be. Decided to stop using weight as I don't think it's a good measure when considering overall body composition changes as a goal i.e. I want to keep my size and gradually replace the fat with muscle. I did this when I moved to an animal based diet and started working out every day (from a period of about a year doing it 1 or 2 a week with a poor diet). Basically now I am eating very well, limit alcohol to one day a week and hitting the kettlebells and other resistance entraining hard. Seeing big results now.

I don't know exactly as haven't weighed myself in years. I'm 6 foot tall with a big frame. Probably carrying 2 stone of fat over what I should be. Decided to stop using weight as I don't think it's a good measure when considering overall body composition changes as a goal i.e. I want to keep my size and gradually replace the fat with muscle. I did this when I moved to an animal based diet and started working out every day (from a period of about a year doing it 1 or 2 a week with a poor diet). Basically now I am eating very well, limit alcohol to one day a week and hitting the kettlebells and other resistance entraining hard. Seeing big results now.

Sorry, I should have been more clear why I was asking.

Rather than asking a body composition question, I was trying to ask what % of bodyweight press 40 kg represents.

Because in my experience things start getting really tough and progress slows way down >80% / 2 x 40%, so you may have to approach the problem from multiple angles.

i.e. literally pressing from multiple angles, BTN pressing, as well as lots of upper back pulling work.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have been more clear why I was asking.

Rather than asking a body composition question, I was trying to ask what % of bodyweight press 40 kg represents.

Because in my experience things start getting really tough and progress slows way down >80% / 2 x 40%, so you may have to approach the problem from multiple angles.

i.e. literally pressing from multiple angles, BTN pressing, as well as lots of upper back pulling work.
Guessing he's doing singles.

Might be nice to have a DEXA or similar for comparison sake.

To Press alot Press alot. @renegadenate has posted a great base program for adding rungs to the ladder.. Also don't forget the Auxiliary moves. Front Squat/ Front Squat/ Front Squat, Pushups/dips, Pullups/rows.. Find more tension in your midsection.

Last edited:
Lots of good options here..

The Press a lot to press a lot is oftentimes rich in context..

There are some that their "press a lot" isn't the kettlebell press.. It can be working up to a certain weight and volume with the barbell while working on your kettlebell press groove..

For others it can be bodyweight stuff..

Stick to the target of 1-2-3-4-5 ladders first then adjust from there..

Same question is what is your bodyweight? It's much tougher for someone who weighs about 72kg to press the 40 vs someone who is 80kg simply because more mass means usually a larger base of support

How many reps max can you do with the 32kg?

For most people Pressing moves respond well to lots of volume at lighter percentages.

Working on your barbell overhead press is a smart move. Get that up and your single arm press will go up.

I've also got the same goal to press the strict 40kg so it's nice to see others with the same goal.

I notice you said stone for weight? Are you a fellow Brit?

Lots of good options here..

The Press a lot to press a lot is oftentimes rich in context..

There are some that their "press a lot" isn't the kettlebell press.. It can be working up to a certain weight and volume with the barbell while working on your kettlebell press groove..

For others it can be bodyweight stuff..

Stick to the target of 1-2-3-4-5 ladders first then adjust from there..

Same question is what is your bodyweight? It's much tougher for someone who weighs about 72kg to press the 40 vs someone who is 80kg simply because more mass means usually a larger base of support
I’m well over 80 mate, probably about 110kg.

For most people Pressing moves respond well to lots of volume at lighter percentages.

Working on your barbell overhead press is a smart move. Get that up and your single arm press will go up.

I've also got the same goal to press the strict 40kg so it's nice to see others with the same goal.

Might be nice to have a DEXA or similar for comparison sake.
I’m new to that concept - you are referring to a DEXA scan?

Yes, in Scotland. I have been using a 24 for too long and haven’t been challenging myself enough so started the 32 ladders recently. I did manage to do the 5 sets of 1,2,3,4,5 with the 24 as per ETK. Should’ve really kept that up but got distracted by other things.

Hello from Newcastle, I'm distantly Scottish myself and just love the people and the country. I got married and honeymooned there. Anyway enough about that lol.

If your max is 5 reps lower rep ladders will work no doubt. I'd stay away from any sets to failure though personally.

Another good way is doing 8 sets of 2 adding reps building up to 8 sets of 3 like Doug Hepburn used to do, it works very well for strength gain.

Good luck on the quest for the 40kg.
Yes, in Scotland. I have been using a 24 for too long and haven’t been challenging myself enough so started the 32 ladders recently. I did manage to do the 5 sets of 1,2,3,4,5 with the 24 as per ETK. Should’ve really kept that up but got distracted by other things.

Last edited:
Hello from Newcastle, I'm distantly Scottish myself and just the people and country. I got married and honeymooned there. Anyway enough about that lol.

If your max is 5 reps lower rep ladders will work no doubt. I'd stay away from any sets to failure though personally.

Another good way is doing 8 sets of 2 adding reps building up to 8 sets of 3 like Doug Hepburn used to do, it works very well for strength gain.

Good luck on the quest for the 40kg.
I'm not sure what my max is on it to be honest. When I do my next session I'll check. I've been trying to keep it well below exhaustion. I reckon I could probably do 6 to 8 with the 32. I work from home most days so I've been greasing the groove with it the last 2 or 3 weeks doing 1 or 2 reps at a time through the day (with a couple pushups and dips) and then only yesterday did the full ladders to 3.

I'm not sure what my max is on it to be honest. When I do my next session I'll check. I've been trying to keep it well below exhaustion. I reckon I could probably do 6 to 8 with the 32. I work from home most days so I've been greasing the groove with it the last 2 or 3 weeks doing 1 or 2 reps at a time through the day (with a couple pushups and dips) and then only yesterday did the full ladders to 3.
If you could do 8 reps with the 32kg you must be very close to Pressing the 40kg then. Awesome stuff.

Things just take time, just keep at it with consistently. Like anything lifting wise, consistently is key. GTG is great, I don't think my elbows would like that for me personally though lol.

This is the JURASSIC version of the Rite of Passage (ROP) using similar Ladders like I listed earlier and how to progress:

In general I've found that once you can 4-6 RM a certain bell, you're probably able to 1RM the next size up but jumping from 32 to 40k is a massive jump. I would definitely get a 36k and find a press specific program that will get you to the 40k and beyond.

Increasing ladders are great (I'm in the middle of ROP as we speak) but I find them much more taxing both mentally and physically than a variable overload style program like Plan Strong. If you haven't tried something like this, I recommend giving it a go. If you don't have a coach who's familiar with PS to write one up, you can check out this article I wrote. It outlines 2 months of training (3 sessions per week) and follows some core PS principles. It worked very well for me and my students.

Back
Top Bottom