all posts post new thread

Kettlebell which is more effective for deadlifts: kettlebell or barbell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jeffandseneca

First Post
Hi
I am a newbie but trying to figure out which is more effective. If I can substitute the barbell for kettlebells to do the deadlift, even better--since it seems cheaper priced.
If I am using the kettlebell deadlift, what is the specific name of the kettlebell deadlift exercise that covers the benefits of a barbell deadlift? i see so many different kinds of deadlifts so it seems confusing. Or the barbell deadlifts are more effective since you can carry more weight

Buy and read, "Power To The People!" for the barbell deadlift - all the technique advice and all the programming you need to get started.

-S-

I forgot which but Gray Cook and Brett Jones covered that topic in one of FMS DVDs they did together.

Hello,

@jeffandseneca
Welcome to Strongfirst !

There is not necessarily a more or less effective. They are two different tools. What are you looking for ?

A kb DL will be lighter than a bb DL. However, lots of folks, including myself have a good result for the bb DL doing mostly / only heavy kb swings.

Kind regards,

Pet'

It's a barbell exercise, so barbell is the answer. I've read that deadlifters have found that 2h kettlebell swings have helped them deadlift heavier weights, but it's in addition to barbell training not instead of it.

No, as mentioned above.
Barbell deadlifts will allow you to use the maximum weight you can handle.
The kettle bell can though be a good assistance movement to help your deadlift.
Powerlifters use the cable pull through as an assistance movement to get the posterior chain(glutes,hamstrings,low back)stronger.The kettle bell swing is basically a dynamic version of the pull through and can benefit your DL.
For me specifically the KB two hand swing helps the DL from the knees up and can be similar to speed deadlifts like the Westside lifters use but for more reps.
You do need to use a heavy enough KB to get the proper stimulation.
IMO a 32 kg or more.
So to answer you specific question no.
Invest in a good 300 pound oly set.
Its a one time buy and will last you a life time.

To me there are a few caveats about swings and deadlifts. They certainly can help one, especially an amateur, get up some weight. However, once weights get respectable the benefits of the kettlebell get smaller. That is not to say that there isn't any, but that proper deadlift training becomes exponentially more important. Also, after getting to absolutely respectable weights, the kettlebells would have to be pretty heavy and the typical gym range doesn't cover it and they may become too expensive in the cost-benefit analysis for an amateur.

Hi
I am a newbie but trying to figure out which is more effective. If I can substitute the barbell for kettlebells to do the deadlift, even better--since it seems cheaper priced.
If I am using the kettlebell deadlift, what is the specific name of the kettlebell deadlift exercise that covers the benefits of a barbell deadlift? i see so many different kinds of deadlifts so it seems confusing. Or the barbell deadlifts are more effective since you can carry more weight
Respectfully, I would start with first assessing what your training goals are, before determining what the most appropriate tools are to best reach those goals.

To me there are a few caveats about swings and deadlifts. They certainly can help one, especially an amateur, get up some weight. However, once weights get respectable the benefits of the kettlebell get smaller. That is not to say that there isn't any, but that proper deadlift training becomes exponentially more important. Also, after getting to absolutely respectable weights, the kettlebells would have to be pretty heavy and the typical gym range doesn't cover it and they may become too expensive in the cost-benefit analysis for an amateur.
@Antti, a couple of points, please.

People who take Westside's approach to barbell lifting have a speed day for their deadlift in their regular training, and have been able to substitute have - up to 200 lbs that I've read about - 2-hand kettlebell swings for their previous choice, speed work directly with the barbell deadlift using a light weight. It's in this way that many continue to train the swing even though they have a solid barbell DL. Most don't use a kettlebell but a plate-loaded gizmo that allows them to perform a swing in the same manner as a kettlebell swing.

The other thing we have to say, and I say this after watching a couple of hours of YouTube's of Ed Coan talking about powerlifting yesterday, is that anything that addresses a potential weakness can improve your lifting, reduce your risk of injury, or both. I've been finding that the opportunity to focus on my lockout position when I swing is helping my barbell deadlift - I've got a better lockout at both the hips and the upper back than I used to have. Particularly the upper back aspect feels like it's plugging a leak in my strength and I hope to have that show at my next PL meet. I feel like the relatively light 1-arm swings and heavier 2-arm swings are both helping me in this.

-S-

Steve, I believe I agree with you. The point that I was trying to make was, that even if the swing can substitute the deadlift for some people and some goals, it is absolutely necessary to have the deadlift as your main focus if you're aiming to hit triple bodyweight or anything past 200kg. The swings are a great accessory, but they are a great accessory.

I have, in my own meager training, greatly benefited from kettlebell ballistics. They gave me a great starting point for barbell work. If I didn't want to do the barbell lfits heavy, the kettlebell training would have easily sufficed for everyday fitness. However, it simply will not do on it's own if I want to be able to lift heavy.

@jeffandseneca , since you're new, kettlebell swings will cause significant progress in a lot of areas (including the deadlift).

If your goal is a "monster" deadlift, you're going to have to deadlift at some point in time (in which case I'll second @Steve Freides comment about PTTP). But you can save that for after you've experienced your initial "beginner gains".

For now, KISS. (Keep it simple, smartie... as I prefer to say...)

Hello,

@jeffandseneca
If you want to DL heavy (1st goal), and if you are new to kb in the meanwhile, then maybe going to a DL program is easier. It will prevent you from too much overthinking. For instance, PttP, 5/3/1, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom