all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Gout Problems and Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GClark

First Post
I’ve looked through the forums for a post on this, and I’m surprised I haven’t found one…

I’ve recently begun to deal with gout flare ups. It’s a familial susceptibility that I’d hoped I’d been spared, but I guess not. :p My initial bout was fairly dramatic and included my knee as well as the traditional big toe, so I ended up seeing my primary care doctor, a rheumatologist, and an orthopedist to find out what going on, to confirm that it was really gout, and to check the structural integrity of the knee.

Gout is no fun in general, but it is particularly problematic for those who enjoy kettlebell/bodyweight style training. The most common site of swelling/pain are the joints of the big toes, and that makes staple exercises like TGUs, lunges, push-ups, or even Farmer’s Walks either difficult or impossible depending on the severity of the flare.

Is anybody else working around this kind of chronic annoyance with any success? There is, of course, a lot of info out there in terms of diet, and there is some preventative prescription medication available that I’m not terribly anxious to start taking…

I’d appreciate any advice, solutions, or stories. Thanks!

I suffer from gout. I have had it for several years now.

I have always drank lots of water. I have stopped drinking beer, which was probably the worst culprit. I have also noticed that grains, or at least wheat, seem to cause symptoms. I'm not sure about sugar. I have no problems with meat.

I am on allopurinol. The first couple of weeks I was tired but after it I've noticed no side effects.

I have had to modify my training a bit. I do not like bending my toes so I avoid it, especially when barefoot. If I have a flare I avoid walking. I am also careful when walking, as the flares typically come after physical trauma, which I have noticed myself. I do not run. I like kettlebell swings.

I'm not sure I answered all your questions so feel free to ask whatever comes to mind. Gout is really painful and a burden so I'm happy to help if I can.

Thank you! All of that is very helpful information. Identifying trigger foods and other things to avoid isn't always easy since the onset of a flare-up can be somewhat delayed from the time of consumption. Unfortunately, I can confirm that beer is an issue for me as well. Bummer. Trauma is another issue. I am also glad to hear about success with allopurinol.

I don't like bending my big toes anymore either, but I'd really like to be able to continue to do turkish get ups. I suppose I'll start trying to find a minimalist-style sneaker that is 'big toe protective'. Or tape my toe/foot. Or strike it rich by inventing some sort of new orthotic product...

I don't have gout, but I do have arthritis in the right big toe. So now I can't do the getup from the kneeling position with the left leg forward. So I just got to the kneeling position and back down. I do practice what Pavel calls air borne lungs. Where the back leg is off the ground, or barely touching the ground for balance. I'm not strong enough to do these with weight, but I try to do them from standing, down and back up again. So I can still get up on my one side that the big toe doesn't bend much.
I would like to try getups with a shoe that doesn't bend much, but I'm a karate guy and do most of my training in bare feet.
When I workout in shoes it feels unnatural to me.

Al

I still do get ups, but not 100% by the book. The problem is in the last part of the ascent or the first part of the descent, right? I just have the more passive foot straight with the top of the foot against the floor. I suppose it takes a bit more balance and strength from the active leg, but I can do them just fine.

I think it''s far better to make small modifications like this instead of abandoning the whole movement.

It's not a quick fix, but its more permanent: change your lifestyle; especially stress management and nutrition, to reduce inflammation.

@GClark, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

I cannot recommend anything other than what's been suggested already, but a Google on "dietary solutions for gout" will bring up some reading you may find interesting.

-S-

Thanks for the welcome, and thank you all for the helpful responses. :) It is very useful to have some firsthand testimony to aid in the process of sorting through the often murky and poorly sourced internet 'research' available on managing the condition.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom