all posts post new thread

Barbell 1-Arm Barbell Standing Strict Press, Anyone?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Don, I went and found the video, it was a 135 pound barbell Harrison used. He looked like he was playing with it!
Years ago, there was a US kettlebell master of sport who weighed something like 150-160-ish, who had a video doing a bent press and getup with 135# Oly bar. His name was Marty something, and he was an Air Force officer. I remember he did the same moves with his gf. balled up on his arm too. Cate Imes was the first female American Master of Sport, and I believe Marty was the first male, or one of the very first ones.(edit); his name is Marty Farrell.

Last edited:
Years ago, there was a US kettlebell master of sport who weighed something like 150-160-ish, who had a video doing a bent press and getup with 135# Oly bar. His name was Marty something, and he was an Air Force officer. I remember he did the same moves with his gf. balled up on his arm too. Cate Imes was the first female American Master of Sport, and I believe Marty was the first male, or one of the very first ones.
I would never try that with my wife balled up on my arm. Can you imagine the grief you'd get if you slipped up and she fell!!

I would never try that with my wife balled up on my arm. Can you imagine the grief you'd get if you slipped up and she fell!!
Of course you wouldn't! Having a girlfriend is like forming an LLC whereas having a wife establishes a General Partnership. Your liability to incidents is vastly different between the two.

PS. There is a degenerate version of this Business dictum which absolutely positively did not cross my mind.

Of course you wouldn't! Having a girlfriend is like forming an LLC whereas having a wife establishes a General Partnership. Your liability to incidents is vastly different between the two.

PS. There is a degenerate version of this Business dictum which absolutely positively did not cross my mind.
No, but your "general partner" will constantly remind you of past, faulty "business" decisions until the partnership is broken.

Would your Eleiko open bar be a more stable choice? The extra fat grip might allow more control as well.

I'll compare mine with the straight bar and see how it goes later today.

PS. @Steve Freides ... We're back on track!

How would that even work?

If you hold it by one of the grip handles in the rack position, the opposite side is just going to flop down.

Or do you mean to turn it vertically and grab it by the tubing, with the bar sort of hoisted over your shoulder like a yoke?

I guess that would lower the center of mass a bit relative to your hand.

If you hold it by one of the grip handles in the rack position, the opposite side is just going to flop down.

Or do you mean to turn it vertically and grab it by the tubing, with the bar sort of hoisted over your shoulder like a yoke?

By the tubing, dead center, is what I have in mind. Flip it up while racked on the power cage (if one is available) and ease it to shoulder rack or waiter carry position.

It's all theoretical until an hour from now. Stay tuned!

A very interesting experiment, it was.

The open bar solved the end-to-end seesaw motion which would have required a precise grip position with a straight bar.

It has a different kind of free movement, though. A quick short range pendulum motion sideways. I think there is an added value here re shoulder stabilizers. Also, try not to follow the pendulum with your eyes if you're easily hypnotized.

I only tried overhead holds as I did the experiment right after a heavy kettlebell jerk session, which wasn't very smart.

There is one decided advantage to the open bar with this particular lift/hold, it won't bump against my low ceiling when loaded with a standard plate. My straight bar would.

A very interesting experiment, it was.

The open bar solved the end-to-end seesaw motion which would have required a precise grip position with a straight bar.

It has a different kind of free movement, though. A quick short range pendulum motion sideways. I think there is an added value here re shoulder stabilizers. Also, try not to follow the pendulum with your eyes if you're easily hypnotized.

I only tried overhead holds as I did the experiment right after a heavy kettlebell jerk session, which wasn't very smart.

There is one decided advantage to the open bar with this particular lift/hold, it won't bump against my low ceiling when loaded with a standard plate. My straight bar would.

Did you put weight on it or just empty?

I think it's about 25 kg empty?

Empty. I suspect the pendulum action will diminish with loading. It is 25K.

I tried it.

Stuck it on a plyobox instead of a rack.

I'm not convinced it was a high value exercise.

Or superior to a bottoms up KB press.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom