all posts post new thread

Barbell 1 REP MAX?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Carl in Dover

Level 5 Valued Member
Tonight during training I worked on my deadlift. I lifted 136Kg with good form, then 60 second rest. I did this for a total of 12 reps, setting up, maintaining form and controlled descent. I did not go to failure and probably could have done several more. My 1 rep max calculator shows a possible 195Kg.
My question is, if I rested 60 seconds between lifts on each lift does this give me an accurate 1 rep max calculation? Or am I supposed to pump them out to failure?
Screenshot_20181016-224433_1-Rep Max.jpg

Carl in Dover

Usually these calculators mean for 12 continuous reps, I believe. However, they are merely a "guesstimate". They don't take into account individual differences like muscle fiber type makeup/age/specific lifts (I doubt they'd work at all for the O lifts). More explosive lifters tend to do poorly on these calculators while bodybuilders would probably outscore powerlifters, like Tom Platz's and Fred Hatfield's squat competition. Read about that below. Lower rep sets, usually 1-5 reps seem to give a more accurate reading of a 1 rep max like a 5 RM is roughly 85 % and a 3 RM is usually around 90 %,

STRENGTH FIGHTER™: Dr Squat Fred Hatfield vs Tom Platz

Last edited:
Those calculators are always geared towards an N-rep-max assuming you aren't re-racking the weight between reps - constant tension. Deadlift sort of clouds that since typically we release tension between every rep, but I'd say 60s is too much to consider it a single "set". I think a real 5 (or more) rep max should feel a bit glycotic.

The guys are correct here. You rest too much.

It's not about failure either, but going right up to it means the estimate is more correct. If you leave reps in the tank you could have done more and got a bigger max, right?

When doing the deadlifts in this manner I do recommend to really let the bar rest on the ground between reps, as in no touch and go, but it shouldn't be more than a few seconds.

I've done a bit of higher reps with the deadlift and have personally found the calculators pretty accurate. Like I did a set of ten with 200kg, right to my limit, and my max was 265kg. But like said, it's individual.

Tonight during training I worked on my deadlift. I lifted 136Kg with good form, then 60 second rest. I did this for a total of 12 reps, setting up, maintaining form and controlled descent. I did not go to failure and probably could have done several more. My 1 rep max calculator shows a possible 195Kg.

My question is, if I rested 60 seconds between lifts on each lift does this give me an accurate 1 rep max calculation? Or am I supposed to pump them out to failure?

Carl in Dover

Cluster Set Training

I am a proponent of Cluster Set Training, as a mean of increasing Strength and Power. This method allows you to utilize and develop more Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

1 Rep Calculator

It provides you with a estimate of your 1 Repetition Max.

Going To Failure

Going to failure on a Deadlift isn't a good idea. The lower back is quickly and easily overtrained. It also take more time for the lower back to recover from one workout to another.

Lower Repetition

Lower repetition are more effective for the Deadlift than High Repetitions. With each repetition, the muscles fatigue.

That means with each repetition power drops, the muscle firing sequence changes and your technique deteriorates. You end up turning the Deadlift (any movement) into a different exercise because you are modifying your technique; developing poor technique.

Auxiliary Exercises

Increasing Strength in a movement or exercised is best accomplished by performing exercise that are similar in nature and have the same Strength Curve: Good Mornings, Romanian Deadlifts, Trap Bar Deadlifts, Stiff Leg (Slight break in knees) Barbell Deadlifts, Straight Leg Trap Bar Deadlifts, Back Raise/Hip Extensions, Cable Pull Throughs, etc.

Developing Technique

The Cluster Set method that you are using now is how you develop technique.

Research has demonstrated that performing a movement with around 85% of your 1 Repetition Max for singles developes technique.

Once the muscle fatigue in the exercise/movement, Stop. Continuing in a fatigued state ensure poor technique.

Kenny Croxdale

Overall, it is a good article.

Hypertrophy Cluster Training Sets

The rest periods between repetition cluster in the Cluster set of 10 - 15 seconds are what you want.

For Hypertrophy Set, repetition around 6 per cluster are more effective for increasing muscle mass, hypetrophy.

Each set of cluster in each Cluster Set need to be preformed explosively. With heavy load the bar won't move quickly. However, the "Intent" is to try and drive the bar as hard and as fast as you can, "Compensatory Acceleration".

This is a vital component for Cluster Set Training, the wasn't mentioned in the article.

Power and Strength Cluster Training Sets

Longer rest between repetition cluster in each Cluster Set of around 45 seconds are optimal for increasing Power and Strength vs the 15 seconds recommended in the article; Research by Drs Greg Haff and Mike Stone, along with the empirical data from close to 40 years of the Westside Powerlifting "Speed Training" (actually, it Power Training, not Speed) has demonstrated that.

Specific Questions

More specific questions will provide you with more specific answers.

Kenny Croxdale

View attachment 6636
Hey, @Carl in Dover, IMHO, if you want to use a 1RM calculator for your deadlift, you need to do more or less continuous reps. That could be reset at the bottom each time without letting go of the bar, or it could be touch and go in some form. The problem is that, even with a consistent approach to rep counting, people are notoriously different as to what they can do reps for in the DL and what their 1RM is going to be. I would advise simply trying to add a reasonable amount from max test to max test and eventually you'll bump into yours.

Another thing worth considering is that many 1RM calculators won't even allow you to input more than 10 reps because it becomes even less predictable after that point.

I'd say, unless you've already pulled more, figure 180 kg based on what you did. Just a guesstimate, but I arrived at it by using 75% 1RM for 136 kg.

12 reps is a lot, 12 minutes of DL's is a lot.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom