all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 10 lbs Weighted Pull-up - New PR

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That is flat out awesome!! Congratulations. You should have titled the thread "10lb Weighted OAPU" I thought it was the usual pull-up video.

Hello,

Really impressive ! ;) Doing only one each side with only bodyweight is my main training goal !

How many time did you train to do that ? Could you explain your training program to do it ? (different moves you used, set and reps)

Thank you very much !

Kind regards,

Pet'

That is flat out awesome!! Congratulations. You should have titled the thread "10lb Weighted OAPU" I thought it was the usual pull-up video.
Thank you for the words! And yeah I thought it'd be funny to title it that way. Figured people would get a kick out of that.

Hello,

Really impressive ! ;) Doing only one each side with only bodyweight is my main training goal !

How many time did you train to do that ? Could you explain your training program to do it ? (different moves you used, set and reps)

Thank you very much !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey! How's your OAP training? How far along are you? It takes quite a bit of time but it feels pretty great when you finally manage one I think.

As far as my OACU training goes, I get a couple of reps throughout the day, most days. I don't typically do them in my actual training routine, as I've focused on the Front Lever a lot more. I wish I had a set progression, but honestly I've just been doing them from time to time and yesterday I felt pretty strong.

I think to work up to heavier weights, I'd have to dedicate more training time to them. Doing like several singles for 30 minutes four times a week or so and slowly introducing sets of 2, 3, etc. I'm not too interested in the OAP. It doesn't seem to carryover well to other pulling exercises :/ kinda disappointed about that

Hello,

First, I thank you for your answer !

I have some difficulties when my biceps is on the horizontal position. I can just like you, but stop quite earlier...

Did you do some exercises before doing it ? I mean "standard chin ups" or whatever ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Gotcha. Yeah I typically worked on assisted positives more than negatives, so my OACU always felt pretty strong from the bottom but it stalled at the lockout in the beginning (most seen to have the opposite problem). Nowadays,if I get a strong enough pull from the bottom, I sort of ride that all the way up. If I miss a rep, it's from a low lockout.

Before doing my first ever OAP, I did a lot of assisted OACUs with a counterweight pulley. I lost it after some lack of training, and got it back after 4 weeks of heavy weighed pull ups. I think I'll be going back to weighted two arm pull ups. I feel like they really strengthen everything!

Good luck!

Hello,

I also currently use a counterpulley system. Did you train for only one or two rep each sides almost every day with that ? Or did you have a sets / reps program ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Training for the OAP was much more regimented and progressive. I detail the exact programming I used in a post on this thread:
OHpullups & pistols

It's a very simple cycling routine. But I was taking off about 5 lbs every 2 months or so. Took about 7 months of pulley training to nail my first on .

Hello,

Thank you very much ! It was exactly what I was looking for !:);)

But you said you took 7 moths to pass your first OACU but it is a 1 moth program. So you "repeated" by calculating new max 7 times, right ?

I begin it tomorrow !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yeah I re-tested every month during the deload week. Glad it gives you something to work with! Let me know how the journey goes!

Hello,

Yes I will let you know how it works for me ! :)
You do it 4 days a week. How do you manage recovery day ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking whether 3 recovery days was good enough for me or not, it was. The key, really, is in not training to failure. I chose the load and the sets/reps so that I never hit failure. 80/85/90 is pretty conservative to do sets of 5, 4 and 3 reps. I also did NO other pulling exercise during this.

The deload is also very important.

Feel free to modify this as you go btw. I certainly did. Sometimes,I only did 4x5, or 3x5 on the first week. Sometimes the weight by the third week was so light that I used sets of 2. Sometimes I changed the weight in the middle of the cycle of it felt too easy or too hard. Sometimes I didn't even deload and just kept doing 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps for more weeks.

The key, like every good strength program, is in staying away from failure, so you can train often (4 times a week), with 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. If you use that philosophy for months and months, you will continue to progress. The above template worked week for me as a starting point, but it lends itself to be changed around :)

Hello,

I thank you for your details !:)

My weight is 61kg and my lightest counterweight to do 1 rep is 7 kg. Then when I use your process for the first week of the first "cycle" I find more or less 12kg for the counterweight.

My question is : to begin your second "cycle", what weight do you choose ? I ask that because your bodyweight is more or less the same (at least mine) for long period

Kind regards,

Pet'

Het Pet', I think you might be off on the math. Here's how to do it:

Your 1 RM, at a weight of 61 kg, is with a counterweight of 7 kg. So that means the MOST one of your arms can pull is 61-7=54 kg. Now, for the first week, we want the arms pulling 80% of that. So 0.8*54 = 43 kg. So in order to get your arm to pull 43 kg, at a bodyweight of 61, you need a counterweight of 61-43 = 18kg. Do you see how that works?

Second week would be 85%, so thats 0.85*54 = 46. So the counterweight you want is 61-46 = 15 kg.

Third week, the counterweight would be 12 kg :)

When you deload, I would pick a day in that week to test your new 1 RM. If you can improve by 1 kg every month, you're doing VERY well (that means you can do a 1 RM with 6 kg instead of needing 7 kgs).

I'd be lying if I said I always re-tested. Sometimes, I just took off some weight and went for the new cycle. Once you work on this for a couple of months, you'll have a pretty good idea of how much weight you can reasonably take off.

One last thing. Remember to pull as much as possible on your counterweight WITHOUT the counterweight moving. You WANT to get as much assistance as you've placed on the counterweight, so that means you need to be pulling on it. Do NOT emphasize the working arm by pulling the least you can onto the counterweight. That will make the exercise much harder, will make the sets/reps harder to get, and cause excessive fatigue. You want the assistance.

Hello,

Gotcha;) ! I made the counterweight and do my first sets. I took 5 minutes between : right / left, 5 minutes, right / left, 5 minutes.

I hope it will be fine and I'd be able to pass an OACU soon :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you for the words! And yeah I thought it'd be funny to title it that way. Figured people would get a kick out of that.

Heh. I knew it was gonna be a one-armed pullup the moment I saw the poster. Strong work as usual 305pelusa!

Hello,

Gotcha;) ! I made the counterweight and do my first sets. I took 5 minutes between : right / left, 5 minutes, right / left, 5 minutes.

I hope it will be fine and I'd be able to pass an OACU soon :)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Nice! I can't wait to see you get one!

Heh. I knew it was gonna be a one-armed pullup the moment I saw the poster. Strong work as usual 305pelusa!
Hahaha, yeah. Thank you for the kind words. I don't weigh a whole lot (140 lbs), OAPs, even with a bit of added weight, aren't too bad I'd say. Not as hard as some other folks at 180 lbs or even more! I'd have to do a OAP with 40 lbs added to match that level!

Hello,

@305pelusa

I started 5*5 two days ago @80% (so it's a 18kg counterweight). I felt it pretty well (not exhausted, don't hurt).

So just for fun this morning, I tested 3*3 @90% (so it's a 12 kg counterweight). I felt it more difficult, but I also passed it without being too close to failure. I had the feeling of "working more". Is it "normal" ? Should / ccould I begin with 1 or 2 weeks of 3*3 ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

bodyweight: 61kg
1RM : 7kg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom