all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 10 lbs Weighted Pull-up - New PR

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Any systematic form of progressive overload will get you there in the long run Pet'

I'd pick one method and stick with it for 4 or 5 weeks or so before trying to mix things up too much. If it's not delivering after a month or so then maybe change things up regarding reps and sets etc.

The OACU is really an elite move that most people will never attain, so intuition has play a part here too. If you feel the onset of tendonitis creeping in then everything needs to change. Sometimes you need to back off and rest before you can progress.

& Pelusa - that's freakin amazing man, hats off to you. You look like you've bulked up a bit since you first cracked the OACU too, so that added 10lb is only half the story.
Well done man !

Hello,

@305pelusa

I started 5*5 two days ago @80% (so it's a 18kg counterweight). I felt it pretty well (not exhausted, don't hurt).

So just for fun this morning, I tested 3*3 @90% (so it's a 12 kg counterweight). I felt it more difficult, but I also passed it without being too close to failure. I had the feeling of "working more". Is it "normal" ? Should / ccould I begin with 1 or 2 weeks of 3*3 ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

bodyweight: 61kg
1RM : 7kg

Yes the 5x5, usually felt light. I think it was good to get some volume in there and hone your technique. The sets of 3 are supposed to be heavier. You'll more work, but it isn't as much volume.

I liked having sets of 5. As I got closer to the OACU, I did less of them. I think it's up to YOU. If the sets of 5 feel way too light, you could also decrease the weight!

@Tarzan , welcome back! Hope to see an update on how you've been doing, maybe revive your training log.

Hello,

@305pelusa
Then I will use some 3*3 during 2 week (at least) the time for me to feel good, before removing weight !I will post my progession / feeling on m training log if you wish. I like the fact of training heavy with low reps, while avoiding failure. That way, we can train almost everyday. That adds lot of volume without fatigue.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@305pelusa
Then I will use some 3*3 during 2 week (at least) the time for me to feel good, before removing weight !I will post my progession / feeling on m training log if you wish. I like the fact of training heavy with low reps, while avoiding failure. That way, we can train almost everyday. That adds lot of volume without fatigue.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Hehe yeah, I mean you can really experiment with it. I liked the simple structure of high volume, low intensity and as the month goes on, less volume and higher intensity. But you can move around the reps and sets as you wish to get varying amounts of volume.

Like Tarzan (hey how's it going! ) said, as long as you are staying away from failure, keeping strict form, training often, and steadily decreasing the weight as months go by, you will get there. The OACU, unlike the planche and front lever, don't need much "assistance" work. You can just keep varying the intensity and volume for months on end and keep improving it seems. Similar to weighted pull ups.

I'll check out the log!

If you feel the onset of tendonitis creeping in then everything needs to change. Sometimes you need to back off and rest before you can progress.

& Pelusa - that's freakin amazing man, hats off to you. You look like you've bulked up a bit since you first cracked the OACU too, so that added 10lb is only half the story.
Well done man !

Yeah good call on the pain. You will invariably push too hard at some point and might feel some pain. But if you back off immediately, I always found 2-3 rest days would fix it. Little training time lost, if you do it early on.

And thanks Tarzan! I don't think I've put on any weight really. At 5'5", I think 140 is a good amount either way. Perhaps some day in the future when I've gotten some of the other strength skills I want, I'll do some actual muscle building hehe

Hello,

As you can see, I keep training on OACU (by the way, your HSPU is very impressive ! :) )

Feel free to modify this as you go btw. I certainly did. Sometimes,I only did 4x5, or 3x5 on the first week. Sometimes the weight by the third week was so light that I used sets of 2. Sometimes I changed the weight in the middle of the cycle of it felt too easy or too hard. Sometimes I didn't even deload and just kept doing 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps for more weeks.

The key, like every good strength program, is in staying away from failure, so you can train often (4 times a week), with 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. If you use that philosophy for months and months, you will continue to progress. The above template worked week for me as a starting point, but it lends itself to be changed around :)

I have a question:
Do you change reps / sets every X weeks, or do you only change when you feel "good" ?

Thank you ! ;)

Kind regards

Hello,

As you can see, I keep training on OACU (by the way, your HSPU is very impressive ! :) )

I have a question:
Do you change reps / sets every X weeks, or do you only change when you feel "good" ?

Thank you ! ;)

Kind regards
Hey! Thanks for the kind words!

I changed sets and reps every week as such:
Week 1: 5x5
Week 2: 4x4
Week 3: 3x3
Week 4: De load

So my sets/reps were the same for a week (4 workouts), and then I'd change them slightly. As Tarzan said, you don't want to be changing stuff too much either.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom