all posts post new thread

Nutrition 100% Carnivore

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Brilliant one
This should be required watching for anyone who's out to convert people to their dietary religion o_O. While there are a few points I would argue (the vitamin C thing has been pretty well debunked, and his comments about the Peterson's display a lack of research*), I think you could broadly apply the points he makes to any diet. The need for group identity often interferes with our logical reasoning, and he does a good job of pointing out that there's a pretty significant absence of large-scale clinical dietary data. There are only a few dietary strategies that have been well researched (Mediterranean, low carb, intermittent fasting, vegetarian, SAD), so if you want to do anything else, you're on your own.

I also dig the dry humor, "Now is your time to shine, North Korea"

*I can elaborate on those if anyone would like, but I didn't see the need to leave a multi-paragraph comment about things that are somewhat Google-able.

Some great analysis here on studies on ketosis and protein intake
Another good example of the divergence between often quoted "facts" and where the research is taking us. Back in "the day" many people would have assumed that you couldn't get into ketosis if your protein intake was too high, but I can get into ketosis just fine while eating 2-3 grams of protein per day per kilo of BW. To be fair, I don't stay in ketosis consistently, which might be important for some people.

Another good example of the divergence between often quoted "facts" and where the research is taking us. Back in "the day" many people would have assumed that you couldn't get into ketosis if your protein intake was too high, but I can get into ketosis just fine while eating 2-3 grams of protein per day per kilo of BW. To be fair, I don't stay in ketosis consistently, which might be important for some people.

I am the same as are the members of my family who have tried ketosis dieting. We have never consciously increased fat (old fashioned bias against fat, we never eat a lot of it) only lowered carbohydrate and increased protein yet all of us have gone comfortably into ketosis.

The studies cited support high protein intakes, to the level you mentioned, with the subjects consistently in ketosis. Concerns about Gluconeogenesis appear overblown at the practical level but of course individuals may be more or less susceptible.

the claim that red meat causes cancer is based on faulty self reported studies, Shawn Baker has released a lot of material about it

Totally. Some of the good arguments I've heard is that we really don't have any carnivorous tools on our bodies. We have to make weapons in order to hunt. If we were truly meant to eat allot of meat, we would have claws or something.

yes you are right but you have to realize that we are people predators therefore we have eyes in front and not on the sides of the head :)

And second our acidity in the stomach is extremely high even higher than hyenas or lions...

I think I want to try the carnivore diet, but i have alot of non carnivore food to use up first (mainly yogurt and such). Once it starts to run out I may try it. Meat, eggs, and fish.

What and where are the best resources for info on the carnivore diet? I know Shawn Baker is a go to guy.

There's a couple books out on it now, one by Baker and one by Paul Saladino. There's also some Facebook group, Zeroing In On Health and World Carnivore tribe (there might be another as well).
One nice thing about it is there isn't a whole lot of rules and whatnot. Eat when your hungry. Eat more meat when you have cravings for junk. Expect it to take 1-2 weeks for you gut to normalize to the lack of fiber. Don't be afraid to use salt liberally. The hardest part is finding a place to get cheap, bulk meat. I used to call the meat counter at my local grocery store and make big orders on stuff that was on sale; where I live now there's a restaurant supply store that sells bulk meat at more or less wholesale cost, so I just go there.

I do hope people on a carnivore diet , try to eat as much a possible from nose to tail. Include liver as one of the most important parts of the diet. If budget allows, buy grass fed beef from local sustainable sources
I do agree that this is optimal, but I think there are two useful points to make:
1) For people who do well on a carnivore diet, a straight diet of grocery store ground beef will still be better, when matched dollar for dollar and calorie for calorie, than just about anything else they can do.

2) For someone just giving it a shot and seeing how it affects their body for a month or so, I don't think it really matters whether you're eating organs, grass finished meat, etc.

I just bring these up because, fan of experimentation that I am, I think it's important to avoid setting up barriers to entry for personal experiments. While grass-finished meat and organ meats are great, and certainly a consideration when discussing long-term dietary changes, I think placing too much emphasis on such things results in an increasing barrier to entry due to increased cost and complexity.

I agree , I was mostly talking about a long term commitment to the diet.
I do believe this diet could help a lot of people with gut and or weight problems so don’t let my points be a barrier.

I’m predominantly vegan and do well regarding strength.

Go vegan for 30 days then eat meat. You’ll see how terrible and tired it makes you feel.

Quite a narrow minded thing to say, to suggest anyone who stops meat consumption for a while will become tired and freezing terrible when they re introduce it.

I went plant based for 2 years from 2014-2016 and at the end of it felt far worse than I ever did eating meat.
Re introducing animal produce seemed to give me back my health- Mental health improved, sexual function and drive improved massively, body composition and performance, all improved greatly.

Some fair very well with a plant based diet, some not so much. Equally true for meat based diets.

Blanket statements like ‘go vegan for 30 days then eat meat and see how s***ty it makes you feel’, don’t help anyone.

yes you are right but you have to realize that we are people predators therefore we have eyes in front and not on the sides of the head :)

And second our acidity in the stomach is extremely high even higher than hyenas or lions...
This isn’t true- the numbers are very close, however true carnivores have a lower pH (more acidic) than humans

I honestly didn't take the time to read the entire 12 pages of this thread, but I skimmed through a chunk of it, so if I missed something relevant to my post, apologies!

90% carnivore here. Have been for the last year-ish. I haven't had my blood tested yet but here are anecdotal bits of my experience:

-More even energy, better mental function
-Almost zero gas or bloating. I used to get bloated very often trying to eat enough to gain weight
-I don't feel the need to eat all day just to feel satiated, and even when I skip a meal or otherwise don't eat as much as normal I still can maintain the same training schedule without much performance decrease
-I've barely gotten sick since I started eating this way, and my allergies last summer were far less severe. When I did catch a bug a couple times over the last 6 months or so, my symptoms were much milder than in the past and I recovered way more quickly.
-All of my "issues" with the diet (occasional diarrhea or digestive issues and energy or satiety issues) were fixed when I began adding raw suet into my diet.

I'm glad Paul Saladino was mentioned. A lot of the nutritional aspects of this diet seem highly contextual, especially regarding cholesterol. Anyone seriously interested should dig through his podcast interviews. On the topic of context, this was very informative:

WHO Says Meat Causes Cancer? - Diagnosis Diet

In short, the way studies are conducted and interpreted is highly important, and we are not given the transparency we think we are as often as we'd like. I won't go into it here, because I'm not about starting arguments :) but it is also worthwhile to look into the funding of studies and the researchers' backgrounds. I'm not saying everyone should eat a ton of meat, go full carnivore, or eat one way or another (except maybe avoid high intake of fats AND sugar/simple carbs, that seems to be a clear recipe for health problems) but I do think that learning the context of the information one uses is highly important.

Lastly, I agree with Paul Saladino when he has repeatedly said that one should find and follow the diet and lifestyle that grants one the best quality of life, however that is personally defined, which is often a point that gets missed entirely.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom