all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 100 Days of Summer

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vegpedlr

Level 6 Valued Member
There are roughly 100 days between Memorial Day and Labor Day. How will you use them?

Due to ongoing personal and family issues, there will be no racing for me this summer. So I will run and cycle at a maintenance level mostly for fun, but keep up enough fitness, that if the opportunity to jump into a race comes, I can just for fun.

Otherwise, I will alternate Easy Strength in the gym with the KB/BW DMPM in the park, get in 10,000 swings, and daily yoga.

What are you up to? Do you change your training by season? Changing because it's time anyway! Changing it up due to travel, vacation, or family stuff? Just keepin' on keepin' on?

I've been doing S&S and/or the DMPM for several months due to their bang for the buck. With more time available to train I have switched to the "Old Guy" barbell system; Monday is push, Wednesday is pull and Friday is legs. I know this somewhat contrary to Dan John's "the body is one piece" philosophy, but I wanted more specific strength and thought it was time for a change. S&S will be performed twice a week, once on pull day and once on the weekend. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday will be aerobic days using my MAF number. Sunday will be an off day. The format is subject to modification because part of the selling point to the "Old Guy" system is recovery.

Dan has also said that he feels sorry for tall guys and that they might be well-advised to take an extra day between training sessions. A 6'6" and 61 years old I thought that this was a workable format since the daily workouts are fairly short, with the exception perhaps of leg day. Easy Strength was good to me last summer and I plan to take another stab at it in the future.

I'm ordering a barbell and beginning to train the deadlift.
In general I want/need to focus on hypertrophy until I get some meat on my bones. I haven't figured out exactly what this is going to look like yet...
I really like the idea of trying to hit a total number of swings for that period though - that might be one of my goals.
Thanks for sharing this timeframe/challenge/idea/thing. :)

@GrooceGreaser

The DL is awesome. I wish I could, but the gym I currently use makes it impossible, so I work on the single leg stuff. Some day . . .

If you're interested in mass, check out some of the high rep squat plans, like Dan John's Mass Made Simple, regular or MMS Lite, or stuff based on the old Peary Rader programs. Or 5x5. DL program to build strength first would probably work best.

Thanks @vegpedlr - I'll definitely look into those.

I won't have access to a power rack yet, so I'm a little nervous about anything that programs back squat or bench (as I'll be lifting solo). I've long been interested in things like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength, but I'm just too chicken for now!

I did pick up Power to the People and was delighted that it didn't require a rack of any kind - and it had a hypertrophy version of the program. I'm curious to look into the other programs you referred to also. Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks @vegpedlr - I'll definitely look into those.

I won't have access to a power rack yet, so I'm a little nervous about anything that programs back squat or bench (as I'll be lifting solo). I've long been interested in things like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength, but I'm just too chicken for now!

I did pick up Power to the People and was delighted that it didn't require a rack of any kind - and it had a hypertrophy version of the program. I'm curious to look into the other programs you referred to also. Thanks again for sharing!

Steve Freides turned me on to these a while back, the Steinborn Squat

@North Coast Miller - thanks for sharing - I've never seen that before.

I'm mostly worried about if I need to bail on a failed rep (even though I pretty cautious with upping weight and trying to avoid failure). The standing pull up bar I have does technically have J-cups to set up a squat (Also, it's only rated for 300 lb, which wouldn't be a problem for starting out) - I just don't have a spotter bar. Am I just being paranoid here?

I have also considered the Zercher Squat as an alternative until I get something with a spotter bar (or whatever they're called).

I do like the idea of having some extra time under tension with this version though. Thanks again for sharing.

Lots of trail running. MTBing. Basic S&S strength with a random more "well rounded" day here and there. MAYBE a few races if the life schedule allows.

5lbs fat traded for 5lbs muscle - I am about halfway toward this now, so if I'm still feeling a fire I'd like to gain 5 - 7, be reliably over 190lbs lean.

By end of Summer maybe take up jogging again. Also hang heavybag somewhere - might have to make a stand or mount as there is currently no convenient place to hang the big one anywhere in my house or yard, or would have already done so.

Also the last few years I have had nagging issues come up at the end of Summer/early Fall that have set me back every Winter. While these are mostly not training related I still need to not mess myself up.

@Groove Greaser
I've had success (after years of negligible mass gain) using Zercher Squat and sumo deadlifts.
I used Pavel/Faleev 5x5 program. I had a bench though, so I also was benching.
I think swapping in overhead press though could still be a good program.
I started with 5x8, instead of 5x5, and this was enough stimulus to get me eating enough to add muscle.
A few glasses of organic or "pasture raised" milk a day helped add some easy, beneficial macronutrients for recovery.
January 1 of this year I weight 149.7 pounds, standing 6' tall. Finished 11 weeks of the program weighing about 165 pounds, still lean.

@North Coast Miller, I have a PL meet in two weeks, and then I'm turning my attention back to the USAWA. More Steinborn squats in my future in all likelihood.

@vegpedlr, I'll be working on the Inman Mile again because I can walk outside.

-S-

It's garage workout season so I've been working pullups and shooting for a bodyweight barbel overhead press. We'll see how far I get before the weather turns cold. So far about halfway there. Also getting out walking and hiking as much as I can. And trying to ease into jogging a bit and see how that goes.

I've started the experimental training program 996. On the non- kettlebell days, its OS (I use the resets as a warm-up throughout the entire week). Apart from that, preparing for the teaching dance season starting on September 3rd.

I'm waffling on ordering my barbell and plates. I'm still not terribly strong (and my garage still needs some significant work before it's ready for me to build a deadlift platform and eventually add a power rack). So I'm adjusting my goals. I've got a second 20kg kettlebell and I'm going to work some double kettlebell movements - most likely Genesis from @Hector G 's Double Kettlebell Manifesto.

Also - I'm considering getting a quality grappling dummy and adding 50 reps of some BJJ movement (will vary depending what I'm working on) as my warm-up. (The grappling dummy would be a big investment and is also still up in the air)

My long term goal is still to add barbell work, but I think this is probably a better in-between goal and fitting my circumstances.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom