all posts post new thread

GTG Push-up and Pull-up LOG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Welcome!

The aim of this log is to follow detailed approach to complete the 100 Push-up goal.

1. The background (in short).
I'm 40, active duty officer in Polish Air Forces. Actively spending most of my time. In the vast majority I train with kettlebells, lastly incorporated barbell RELOAD plan, thus from this Monday I also practice Deadlift and Squats. I also do Pull-up in RELOAD format, two times a week with added one session of Pull-up Partial Reps from SF Newsletter. After Timed Simple was achieved I switched to Q&D and incorporated 40-kg bell Swings and Tactical Getups. For more info if someone is interested in how my trainings look like you may see my main log here

2. The aim.
After some trial and errors and finally following the last plan about Push-ups ( Bodyweight - 30-Day Pushup Challenge + Simple & Sinister?) I increased my RM from 42 to 65. But that is not enough. My goal is to complete 100 Push-ups in a single set. Why? First, it is a great feat of strong endurance, second it gives a lot points in any qualification to SF (please, do not critique the goal, everyone has its own reasons).

3. Approach.
As I mentioned above, I followed 30-day Push-up Plan with success. Than @korcun mentioned the SF article about Strength in Numbers: A Case for Pushup Endurance Training | StrongFirst

"Once you are in the 50RM range, you may want to begin adding banded pushups as I did per Pavel’s guidance. Use a band that would bring your max to 20-25 explosive reps. Use GTG and perform 2 sets of 10 reps, resting 30 seconds between. Perform each pushup as explosively as possible. You will have to generate more tension with these to maintain a strong body position. Vary your pushup volume by 20% each day. I am currently rotating between cycles of banded work and high rep ladder sets."

So, I started to do ladder GTG Push-ups in the following manner: reps: 20 (30%), 25 (38%), 32 (50%)

That would be all. I hope you will enjoy reading.

Stay Strong. Stay Hard. Get After It.

I should write more about my current routine, so here it is:

LADDER GTG PUSH-UP

What I do is I vary the volume day-to-day by at least 20%. It might be 20, 25, or even 70% change. What is constant is the number of reps performed in set. In the first set I do 20 reps, which is 20%RM. In the second set I do 25 reps, that is 38%RM, and in third set I cover 32 reps, which is 50%RM. Then on fourth set I do again 20 reps, etc. until complete a designated number of reps throuhout the day.
I also follow Q&D protocol 033, that means 3 times a day I do Power Push-ups, so the total number of Push-ups performed during the day is a little bigger (I will mention it form the next week).
I'm planning to follow this plan until the end of the month and after two days off my RM will be tested,

From yesterday ....
Push-up_Day7.png
NOTE
Not too many reps. I was after 24h duty I just didn't feel it. Today I'm trying to hit 154 reps.

Stay Strong. Stay Hard. Get After. It.

How heavy are you?

In my teens, right before my military service, I got my push-up game far enough to be able to do 100 at a whim. I thought it a nice goal, the big round number, so I get you. Later on, I kind of figured out it all wasn't a little feat so I wish I had taken notes on my successful training!

For what it's worth, I think the strength endurance I got from that training still carries over to twenty years later. I'm great at reps with any kinds of horizontal pressing. My vertical pressing is the opposite, which I've primarily used the Pavel/StrongFirst methods for.

Two days remain to complete two weeks of Ladder GTG, and I started to wondering should I switch to another protocol/approach. One concept looks like this:

ROE:
  • 5-7 sets per day
  • OTM
  • 20-40% RM
  • 5-6 days in a row
  • 1 day Rest
  • 2 weeks length
@Kiacek @taro @Antti @q.Hung @ShawnM @pet' @Pavel Macek
What do you think?

One method I used for years was to rest a few days and max out on push ups and pull ups on a Friday or Saturday. The following week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I would do half my max reps from the week before every hour I was awake. I’d accumulate several hundred reps without killing my self. I’d re-test after a few weeks and normally my max had gone up 5-10 reps and my musculature improved greatly.

Two days remain to complete two weeks of Ladder GTG, and I started to wondering should I switch to another protocol/approach. One concept looks like this:

ROE:
  • 5-7 sets per day
  • OTM
  • 20-40% RM
  • 5-6 days in a row
  • 1 day Rest
  • 2 weeks length
@Kiacek @taro @Antti @q.Hung @ShawnM @pet' @Pavel Macek
What do you think?

I'm not sure what ROE and OTM mean.

If you mean on the minute, I don't think it's a good idea. Otherwise it looks fine.

I like what @ShawnM suggested.

If I could do it again, I think a system with a six sided die, each side representing 20-70% RM, thrown at leisure throughout the day every day would be nice. Only do it when fresh and certain you can do a good set, no matter the result. Once a week, do a set with a rep or two more than your previous maximum. Rest a day afterwards.

@ShawnM
Sounds good. Might give it a try.

There's a program from the old military fitness site that had you do 100 push ups 2-3 times a week. You would kill it until failure, say 50 reps or so and then for the next X amount of minutes you would do 5-10 reps every minute on the minute until you hit 100. I did that for one of my Navy physical test and it worked pretty decent as well. Just a lot more intense than the other program I mentioned.

In Beyond Bodybuilding, in the bodyweight chapter, there are a few programs that suit your goal.
Also
One method I used for years was to rest a few days and max out on push ups and pull ups on a Friday or Saturday. The following week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I would do half my max reps from the week before every hour I was awake. I’d accumulate several hundred reps without killing my self. I’d re-test after a few weeks and normally my max had gone up 5-10 reps and my musculature improved greatly.
this one is good.

This is my next go-to plan. Taking tomorrow a day off and will test RM on Saturday. Than starting on Monday with the plan.
Thx.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom