all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 100 swings or 1 hour walk for fat loss?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I tried two months ago doing S/S six times a week... I barley managed, was fatigued and after the first week I was "out" for six days when I didn't exercise at all. Was tired, no motivation and in a foul mood.
I am not a world class athlete! Just an almost 40 year old fat guy who likes video games and gummy bears.
Walking is "easy". 30min walk in the forest before breakfast is a joy. S/S has me sweaty, screaming, panting and is heavy!
Right now I fell like I have the motivation to do either an hours extra walk or 100 two handed swings.

We all agree that what you are doing is fine. You can just keep doing that. If you like walking, just walk! Your a lucky guy to have a forest nearby.

Another alternative, if it is TGU that gets you tired, is to do swings 6/week as per the simple and sinister recommendation, and keep doing TGU every other day as you are doing. This has worked well for me, you can give it a try. After the swings, that would take about 10 minutes, go for your walk.

And there is nothing at all wrong with walking....
It's what we were designed to do

Dekapon-

The tenor of your comments strongly indicate that walking is the most likely activity you will consistently follow so it seems like you have your answer. As time goes on you can take some of the wisdom offered by others and add it to your routine. Rucking, HeavyHands, etc will serve you well as time goes by. Hopefully, you will look at walking as a joy as opposed to a weight loss approach. In so doing I think that you will probably naturally increase both the distance traveled and your pace.

In short, do the things you are most likely to do.

I've actually gone through this myself a long time ago. I lost an awful lot of weight through walking every day, but for more than an hour generally.

1 hour is fine though.

The reason it works is because you're so heavy that the extra weight causes you to burn more calories than you should. This is what I suspect some of the fitter people on the forum don't understand. If you're a skinny little guy walking is not going to burn a lot of calories nor strengthen you much, not that it doesn't have other benefits. If you're overweight and big, walking wastes a lot of calories and builds a significant amount of muscle. It is also something you can do for long periods of time without harming yourself. Actually it's the extended time that makes walking so effective when you're desperate to lose fat, but it does take time. If you're able to walk for more than an hour a day you'll naturally achieve your goals faster.

Walking also builds natural muscles and a physique that looks nice along with making the heart and lungs healthier without overstressing yourself nor it becoming too annoying to do.

If you're up for it a good S&S session every day ought to provide better results, but the catch is that you have to do it every day.

My suggestion for your daily workout is to:
  • prioritize S&S - so if you're up for it, do it.
  • if you're not up for S&S then walk for at least an hour.
  • if you can, both walk and do S&S (like on weekends or holidays when you have the energy and time for both)

I believe it is Mark Sisson (of Mark’s Daily Apple) who puts it like this:
  • Sleep enough, more than you think you need
  • Eat mostly green things
  • Walk every day, sometimes a lot, but always at least some
  • Lift heavy things 2-3 times a week
  • Sprint occasionally (1x/week or two)
I think he has it as a pyramid (inverted of the order I listed).

I would lump kettlebell ballistics under “sprint”, even AGT style training.

My experience has been that, after losing the "easy" weight, fat loss requires exhaustion. Walking is great, lots of benefits. But doesn't cross into exhaustion. So, swing heavy things.

Just my experience, YMMV.

But and hour walk should burn more calories than 100 swings?

Exercise For Weight Loss

The key to weight/fat loss is a calorie deficit diet.

Exercise as a means of increasing weight/fat loss is a distant second.

The benefit of exercise is that it increase Insulin Sensitivity, as well as preserving muscle mass or increasing muscle mass.

With that said an increase in muscle mass doesn't increase you metabolic rate that much. Research show that the net increase in metabolism from gaining a pound of muscle means you end up burning around 80 kcal more a day; which is still good.

Walking For An Hour

1) Walking for an hour does not burn that many calories but it does help.

2) Walking (low intensity activities) do not increase your metabolic rate that much.

The longest, lowest level "activity" is sleeping. As we know, the longer and lower the intensity of a activity, the greater percentage of body that that is utilized and burned.

3) There are plenty of obese individual who work but never lose weight.

To paraphrase, "You can't walk off (out train) a bad diet.

4) Walking may burn more initially burn more calories that swings. However, the amount is minimal.

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption

1) Walking, any low level activity, dose produce an increase in you post metabolic rate.

2) High Intensity Interval Training or High Intensity Resistance Training increase your post metabolic rate.

Forget the Fat-Burn Zone

"...The total energy cost of the ET (like your Walking) program was substantially greater than the HIIT program. The researchers calculated that the ET group burned more than twice as many calories while exercising than the HIIT program. But (surprise, surprise) skinfold measurements showed that the HIIT group lost more subcutaneous fat. "Moreover," reported the researchers, "when the difference in the total energy cost of the program was taken into account..., the subcutaneous fat loss was ninefold greater in the HIIT program than in the ET program." In short, the HIIT group got 9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising." Source: (Metabolism (1994) Volume 43, pp.814-818), Angelo Tremblay, Ph.D., Physical Activities Sciences Laboratory, Laval University, Quebec, Canada

P90X, Insanity, CrossFit, Orange Theory Gyms

One of the primary reasons of the weight/fat loss with the above program and organization is they utilized some type of High Intensity Interval Training Protocol.

The Downside of High Intensity Interval Training

1) It mentally demanding; hard to push yourself to the limit.

2) It can be hard to write it into your program if that program is already fairly highly intensive. It can burn you out physically and mentally.

Walking Suggestion

1) Use a form of moderately intensive walking to nudge you post metabolic rate up.

2) Alternate your walking speed/intensity. Walk fast until you get tired, the walk slow or at a moderate speed, whatever you are comfortable with. Repeat that protocol during your hour of walking.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
My experiences support North Coast Miller's arguments. First and foremost, you drop weight through improving your diet. Walking is good, but will shred you a lot more efficiently if you carry a heavy backpack along the way. You can reduce the discomfort and strains of carrying significant weight by buying a high quality backpack. It does cost, but then again, I bought my "Bergans Powerframe" with 130 liters + sidepockets in 2008, and it is still as good as new, in spite of it having been used roughly.

Last edited:
It seems that many recommend rucking. Wouldn't extra load be overkill if one already weighs 141kg? If not outright dangerous?

Around here, the military gets it's share of overweight conscripts. They go walking wearing the military gear or without a serious load, and it doesn't take a lot of walking to see that every time, some of them get injured.

It seems that many recommend rucking. Wouldn't extra load be overkill if one already weighs 141kg? If not outright dangerous?

Around here, the military gets it's share of overweight conscripts. They go walking wearing the military gear or without a serious load, and it doesn't take a lot of walking to see that every time, some of them get injured.

Yes, I may have missed the part about the persons actual weight, to be honest, and would not recommand rucking for a person weighing 141 kg. Joint health must always be taken into consideration.

Good point, though the OP is quite strong compared to a sedentary 141kg individual. If jogging is hard on the knees, rucking probably not much better, any load light enough to be safe probably create minimal response.

Looking at the question and trying to find way he can spike metabolism that won't interfere with S&S - a non specific compound movement that can be done with either enough intensity to elevate HR to a near max for intervals, or challenging enough in its own right that it can be done steady state for time but at a higher zone than walking.

@Pantrolyx Of course the Norweigan guy recommends buying a Bergans rucksack. But this Swede already has one big and one small Haglöfs rucksack at home. ;)

I tried jogging for a few hundred meters two days ago, it felt okay, no pain or heart attack occured , but it also felt like banging a sledgehammer on an I-beam... something's going to give in eventually.:confused:

I've tried rucking a few months ago but it mostly resulted in more sweat, especially on my back. Not needing to change clothes or have a shower directly afterwards can also be convenient. I'm thinking that if I loose 10kg I could start rucking with 10kg, then 15kg if I loose 15kg etc.
If I put in my numbers in a activity-calculator it says I burn 600kcal on a 60min 5km walk. Thats almost a whole meal of calories, but don't know if those numbers are correct in the real world.

@Pantrolyx Of course the Norweigan guy recommends buying a Bergans rucksack. But this Swede already has one big and one small Haglöfs rucksack at home. ;)

I tried jogging for a few hundred meters two days ago, it felt okay, no pain or heart attack occured , but it also felt like banging a sledgehammer on an I-beam... something's going to give in eventually.:confused:

I've tried rucking a few months ago but it mostly resulted in more sweat, especially on my back. Not needing to change clothes or have a shower directly afterwards can also be convenient. I'm thinking that if I loose 10kg I could start rucking with 10kg, then 15kg if I loose 15kg etc.
If I put in my numbers in a activity-calculator it says I burn 600kcal on a 60min 5km walk. Thats almost a whole meal of calories, but don't know if those numbers are correct in the real world.

If that is even 70-80% accurate then a brisk walk might be the right thing to do at the right time.

No vote here, too many other things that would affect the measurement. Mostly because there is no fat loss exercise program. As you have said and others it's 99% done in the kitchen.

I'm still with the others, if walking is sustainable for you stick with it. I would rather see you lower your working weight during S&S, maybe increase the rest between sets and do S&S 5 or 6 days per week. If you are dead set on S&S three days per week it's better than nothing.

I just read this today, I thought it was interesting:

"A study published in the journal Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology found rates of hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease and diabetes were lower for regular walkers than runners."

Having lost 50 lbs (23 kg) over the last year, here are my thoughts.
- Reduce caloric intake. This is your first priority. My hurdle was a simple love of eating. I faced the truth that overeating was detrimental to my health and fitness and resolved to derive satisfaction elsewhere.
- I see the choice between swinging and walking as involving more than just number of calories burned. Increasing strength, whether through swinging a kettlebell or more intense walking, will make you want to be more active, and also prepare you physically for additional activity. This means more fat burning throughout the day.
- If you have a smartphone, download a free heart rate app. Aim to keep your heart rate around 180 minus your age during activity. You'll quickly learn what this level of exertion feels like so you won't need to constantly measure.
- If the 40kg kettlebell is wiping you out, use a lighter one.
- Intermittent fasting has worked well for me. I usually don't eat until about mid-afternoon. My experience has been that after about 4-6 hours after eating, there is a period of hunger, but it passes when the fat- burning engine kicks in. If this hunger period occurs while I'm sleeping, all the better. I often get home from work after not having eaten for 18 hours and hunger is not an issue.

heart disease and diabetes were lower for regular walkers than runners."

I don't find that surprising really.
It's hard to overdo walking, very easy to overdo running.
Probably, making a sweeping generalisation here, most runners don't do enough easy running.
It's rare to see a good runner too, out on the road pounding, head down, arse sticking out, heel striking, out of breath and struggling is the norm. A nice, easy, relaxed runner with good posture is a rarity.
One of those blue zone longevity factors is lots of low intensity movement. Not knocking running at all but do think too long at too much intensity and too often, junk miles are the reasons perhaps that have less than the expected health outcomes. Only a suggestion as the demographic details are missing. But good running at the appropriate amounts for the appropriate level of runner would be entirely different, maybe? Or maybe not....

Exercise For Weight Loss

The key to weight/fat loss is a calorie deficit diet.

Exercise as a means of increasing weight/fat loss is a distant second.

The benefit of exercise is that it increase Insulin Sensitivity, as well as preserving muscle mass or increasing muscle mass.

With that said an increase in muscle mass doesn't increase you metabolic rate that much. Research show that the net increase in metabolism from gaining a pound of muscle means you end up burning around 80 kcal more a day; which is still good.

Walking For An Hour

1) Walking for an hour does not burn that many calories but it does help.

2) Walking (low intensity activities) do not increase your metabolic rate that much.

The longest, lowest level "activity" is sleeping. As we know, the longer and lower the intensity of a activity, the greater percentage of body that that is utilized and burned.

3) There are plenty of obese individual who work but never lose weight.

To paraphrase, "You can't walk off (out train) a bad diet.

4) Walking may burn more initially burn more calories that swings. However, the amount is minimal.

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption

1) Walking, any low level activity, dose produce an increase in you post metabolic rate.

2) High Intensity Interval Training or High Intensity Resistance Training increase your post metabolic rate.

Forget the Fat-Burn Zone

"...The total energy cost of the ET (like your Walking) program was substantially greater than the HIIT program. The researchers calculated that the ET group burned more than twice as many calories while exercising than the HIIT program. But (surprise, surprise) skinfold measurements showed that the HIIT group lost more subcutaneous fat. "Moreover," reported the researchers, "when the difference in the total energy cost of the program was taken into account..., the subcutaneous fat loss was ninefold greater in the HIIT program than in the ET program." In short, the HIIT group got 9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising." Source: (Metabolism (1994) Volume 43, pp.814-818), Angelo Tremblay, Ph.D., Physical Activities Sciences Laboratory, Laval University, Quebec, Canada

P90X, Insanity, CrossFit, Orange Theory Gyms

One of the primary reasons of the weight/fat loss with the above program and organization is they utilized some type of High Intensity Interval Training Protocol.

The Downside of High Intensity Interval Training

1) It mentally demanding; hard to push yourself to the limit.

2) It can be hard to write it into your program if that program is already fairly highly intensive. It can burn you out physically and mentally.

Walking Suggestion

1) Use a form of moderately intensive walking to nudge you post metabolic rate up.

2) Alternate your walking speed/intensity. Walk fast until you get tired, the walk slow or at a moderate speed, whatever you are comfortable with. Repeat that protocol during your hour of walking.

Kenny Croxdale
All true no doubt and it all jives with my experiences and what I know. But I'll highlight the "nudge" part of this. Walking does indeed "nudge" your system in a lot of good ways.

I'll also add that fat loss can't be one's only goal. Being skinny with no muscle is not a worthy goal at least in my mind. I know several people who are good at low calorie diets but who are weak. Walking develops a low-intermediate level of full body strength and endurance. Also, time spent walking is time spent away from the fridge. To boot, if the terrain is uneven the "walking" becomes something more like doing lunges.

One other point is that I saw an incredibly fat neighbour spend 1.5 months walking all over Europe as a tourist and come back incredibly fit and good looking. Was it just being away from the fridge for 1.5 months? I think the development of full body "walking strength" and endurance contributed a lot, since that person had never been in anything like that kind of shape before nor after the trip.

Definitely in my opinion I get much more done with one S&S session than with 75 minutes of walking, and in far less time of course. In other words, yet again I am very thankful to have Kenny contributing to these forums. The voice of science!

Do both.
They hit different qualities.

And keep a food diary for 3-5 days—usually pretty eye opening.

One of those blue zone longevity factors is lots of low intensity movement.

N.EA.T. (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)

Low intensity constant movement is a vital component of health. NEAT appears to be a greater factor in health and weight maintenance the weekly workouts.

A Poverty Factor

I would categorize it more as a poverty factor than "One of those blue zone factors". Individual who can't afford cars, ride bike or walk. They have more manual labor jobs that require constant movement.

Also, their diet tends to be better because they don't have access to junk food, fast food.

Wealthier countries have less jobs the require much movement; individual with desk jobs. Wealthier countries a supply of junk foods.

Those factors are one of the reason for the prediction that 1/3 of American are project to be diabetic by 2050. The good news is that we are ahead of that projection.

Another factor is that most individual with desk jobs tend to do a lot of snacking throughout the day on junk food.

It's fall into the same category as watching TV, going to a movie, a concert, sitting as studying, etc.; something discussed in another post.

For some reason, the majority of individual will have something to eat, in these situations. I am a member of the "Sit, Watch and Eat Club", as well.

Being on the Keto Diet, I am pretty good with making my snacks something like cheese, pickles, cream cheese with celery, etc.

However, majority of the food consumed by the general population is junk food.

The Truth About Exercise: What is your NEAT? | PBS LearningMedia

The above video examined the amount of low level constant movement of three individuals...

1) Waitress

2) Medical Doctor

3) Writer

Needless to say, the Waitress blew them away.

Kenny Croxale

Haha, yeah, I could be accused of being biased, although Bergans (as well as Norrøna) are highly regarded on a global scale when it comes to producing big backpacks. :)
Your approach sounds a rational way of avoiding joint overloading, anyhow. Jogging will make more sense when you frequently walk though the huge Swedish forests with a 30 kilo load.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom