all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 100 swings or 1 hour walk for fat loss?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I recently heard about a new study, don't have the ref-link to it because the podcast that spoke about it hasn't posted it yet, but they are a "scientific weightlifting podcast"...
The study showed that during an hour of "typical heavy weight lifting", 3 set of 10, 90 sec set-rest on different machines for an hour, only burned 150 kcal! :eek: That's about one banana... The conclusion of the study was that people often overestimate the calories they burn during a work out, and it's easy to eat more afterwards and overcompensate during weight lifting. Walking burns much more per hour. Not to mention swimming, thai-boxing, running etc.

Gym's, magazines and "calorie calculators" like those on a cross-trainer or online often overestimate the amount of calories burned, probably so that people can feel good about them selfs and buy more magazines and gym memberships.

Another study I read:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-018-0999-9
A study about three groups of people. One group did weight lifting 3 times a week, one did cardio 3 times a week and one group did weight lifting 3 times a week AND cardio 3 times a week on alternate days. All groups ate 2g protein/kg bodymass/day (200g of protein a day if you weigh 100kg) and ate a calorie surplus.
The two weightlifting groups gained about 3,8% lean body mass while the only cardio group gained 2,9% of lean body mass.

So here's what I'm going to do unless you stop me:
Walk everyday for at least an hour (will aim for 30min before breakfast, 60min in the evening)
Eat a bit less than I do already and complain loudly about how hungry I am on the internet
Eat at least 200g of protein a day (proper food and 2 whey-shakes daily)
Add one more workout a week with a lighter bell for cardio (snatches with a 24kg)
This will work. I've done it, and still do it in fact. Walking a lot works, but it has to be a lot, yes, more than an hour a day certainly!

I'm not arguing against this at all. However, one thing is to do curls and the such for one hour, and a different story is to do full body movements with a kettlebell for an hour, keeping your average HR close to 130 during the period. The second workout burns way more than 150 cal.

Lets say a given routine burns 450 cal and you do it 4/week. At the end of the year, that simple routine burned 13 kg of fat. Not even considering the increased muscle mass that burns calories, the increased metabolism during the rest of the day, etc.

Now, if you sustain it for 10 years, thats 130 kg of fat. So whoever has been sedentary for ten years and is 30 kg overweight, there is your answer.

I know the math is not so straight forward, but I dont think it is too far from that. Thats why I think strength training is 90% of the weight loss fight.
I agree. I sort of decided for myself that one S&S session was about equivalent to a 75 minute walk plus the bonus of getting bigger upper body muscles which walking doesn't do (a bit in the back, neck and shoulders though - walking does strengthen parts of your upper body.)

Lets say a given routine burns 450 cal and you do it 4/week.

Burning 450 Calories Per Workout

Research shows the amount of calories burned during a workout is grossly exaggerated. You burn less than you've been lead to believe. So, it doubtfully that an individual will burn 450 calories per workout.

While the amount of calories burned in a workout, even more important is the amount of calories burned for hour after the workout, Excess Post Consumption.

Not even considering the increased muscle mass that burns calories, the increased metabolism during the rest of the day, etc.

Muscle Metabolism

Research shows that his is another exaggeration. An increase in muscle mass will increase you resting metabolic rate but only minutely.

if you sustain it for 10 years, thats 130 kg of fat.

I know the math is not so straight forward, but I dont think it is too far from that. Thats why I think strength training is 90% of the weight loss fight.

"The Math is no so straight forward..."

All of this look good on paper but it doesn't workout in real life.

Research has demonstrated that the key to weight loss is diet, exercise play a minor but supportive role.

Anecdotal Quotes

...are are around for a reason.

"You can't out train a bad diet."

"Abs begin at the table"...etc.

Kenny Croxdale

As an aside regarding caloric expenditure during exercise... a competitive cyclist could burn between 4,000kcal and 6,000kcal per day on a race, depending on terrain and pace.

People who exercise a lot look better than before they started even if they aren't losing any weight by it.

As an aside regarding caloric expenditure during exercise... a competitive cyclist could burn between 4,000kcal and 6,000kcal per day on a race, depending on terrain and pace.
This. Basically you can eat everything you like if you move enough. I don't like phrases that 90% is diet etc. That's a personal thing. If you don't exercise enough and lose weight mostly with diet, then end result is skinny fat.

This. Basically you can eat everything you like if you move enough. I don't like phrases that 90% is diet etc. That's a personal thing. If you don't exercise enough and lose weight mostly with diet, then end result is skinny fat.
When I was much younger and racing, and logging an insane amount of kilometers per week, you couldn't put enough plates of food in front of me. I would eat anything that wasn't moving.

A Competitive Cyclist Caloric Metabolic Rate and Expenditure

As offwidth noted, cyclist burn an enormous amount of calories. Some reports of Tour De France cyclist have indicated that they can still have a hard time maintaining weight with up to 10,000 calories a day.

How Many Calories Did Michael Phelps Eat During the Olympics? | Livestrong.com

"In an interview with NBC Sports, Phelps said he ate approximately 12,000 calories per day during the 2008 Summer Olympics."

Individual in demanding sports of this nature and manual labor jobs that are that intensive need more calories.

The 80/20 Rule

Statistics show the only around 20% of the population maintain some type of exercise program.

Based on the 80/20 Rule. it appears of the 20% of the population that exercises, only 20% of those 20% train enough and with the right intensity.

This. Basically you can eat everything you like if you move enough. I don't like phrases that 90% is diet etc.

90% Is Diet

It doesn't matter what you like or don't like. The fact of the matter is that the key to losing weight/fat or gaining weight is your diet.

To reiterate, that is why these phrases have endured...

"You can't out train a bad diet".

"Abs are made at the table", etc.

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

A great case study on the importance of a calorie restricted diet for weight loss is the Twinkie Diet. Mark Haub, MS, Professor of human Hutrition at Kansas State University, demonstrated to his class that a caloric deficit with a junk food diet would decrease body weight/fat.

"He shed 27 pounds in two months."

"Haub's body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent."

"Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

That's a personal thing. If you don't exercise enough and lose weight mostly with diet, then end result is skinny fat.

Exercise On A Weight Loss Program

Research has demonstrated that the amount of calories burned in most exercise programs minutely helps with weight loss.

However, prime fact that drives weight/fat loss is a well written and executed calorie deficit diet. Diet is definitively 80% when it comes to losing weigh or gaining weight for that matter.

The Benefit of Exercise During A Weight Loss Program

1) Preserving Muscle Mass: Exercise essentially ensures muscle mass is maintained. In extremely obese individual, muscle mass is increased with more calories being burned from body fat; that providing you are in a calorie deficit.

2) Insulin Sensitivity: One of the underlying causes with individual who are over weight is they are Insulin RESISTANT. Their body cannot process glucose (carbohydrates) efficiently.

Their issue is magnified on a high carbohydrate diet; even more so when they consume high glycemic/high insulinogenic foods.

Exercise improve Insulin Sensitivity; allowing more glucose to be shuttling the muscles and less stored as body fat.

3) Excess Post Oxygen Consumption< EPC: High Intensity Interval Training and it sibling High Intensity Resistance Training (Example: Circuit Training) elevate you metabolic rate for hours after a training session.

Research has show while the intensity is lower for Marathon Runners (Endurance Athletes, Cyclist, etc.), the amount of time the individual is subjected to in the event increases their post Metabolic Rate for a day or longer; EPOC.

EPOC amount to over charging your credit card. The more you charge on your credit card, the long it take to pay it off; same recovery your over charging your "EPOC Credit Card".

While exercise preserves muscle mass, individual who fall into the normal to low body fat range usually lose some muscle mass during weight loss phase.

Obese individual new to exercise tend to increase muscle mass while gaining weight.

The Benefit of Exercise During A Weight Gaining Program

One of the most interesting studies was with "Couch Potatoes" being fed a surplus of calories.

They gained weight, increasing muscle mass.

The bad news is that 80% of their weight gain was body fat with 20% being an increase in muscle mass. Gaining 10 lbs meant you gained 8 lbs of fat and 2 lbs of muscle. That's not a good trade.

In most Weight Grain Programs, there will be some gain in body fat.

A well written and executed diet combined with a well written and executed exercise program, ensure a greater percentage of the weight gain will be muscle mass while minimizing body fat gain.

My Personal Experience

As I have previously posted, I have a metabolic health issue. I am logical and reasonable when it comes to diet and exercise.

Research demonstrated that a Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting could maintain or improve my condition.

However, after being diagnosed, I freaked out a little rather than keeping my head.

Dropping Weight

I went on the Ketogenic Diet along with Intermittent Fasting, only having two meals a day.

Due primarily to the decrease in calorie intake (two meals a day), I ended up losing 17 lbs in 35 days. That means I lose an average of right at 1/2 lb a day (.485 lb loss average per day), while exercising.

Gaining 16 lbs Back

I wasn't happy with my new lower weight after losing it.

Since I was on the Ketogenic Diet, to increasing my caloric intake that meant that I needed consuming more fat. To do that I sauteed my foods with MCTs, Coconut Oil, Butter, Avocado Oil, Olive Oil, had Bacon Bits and Pieces (more fat that just bacon) with eggs, and drank a cocktail twice a day of MCTs/Liquid Coconut Oil and Avocado Oil.

I went back to having three meals a day rather than two meals a day.

In doing so, I gain back 16 lbs. Some of the weight that I gained back was body fat.

Take Home Message

1) 80% of Weight Loss or Gain is based on your diet; calorie deficit or surplus.

2) Weight Loss: Some muscle mass is usually occurs when losing weight. The exception to the rule is with obese individual or those new to exercise. A well written and executed diet ensure more body fat is lost while muscle mass is maintained or increased.

3) Weight Gain: Some increase in body fat usually occurs. A well written and executed diet ensure more more muscle mass is gained with less body fat added.

4) Exercise: Preserves muscle mass, slightly increases and increases Insulin Sensitivity.

On a side note, Insulin Resistance is one of the key mechanism that lead to may health issues: Diabetes, Cardivascular Disease, Alzheimers, Obesity, etc

5) EPOC: Your post exercise metabolic rate will slightly increase with the right training program. However, unless you are in a competitive long distance sport like cycling or running or living/training all day long like Mike Phelps, exercise is a poor choice along for weight loss.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I'll just remind everyone that exercise is one thing and weight loss another. An unexercised light body is not a good body.

Two things:
- Haglös is better (yes, I am Swedish)
- The best exercise is the one you do. Consistently.

Does Häglos even make backpacks for adults (>110 liters)? :)
Whilst I can admit that their biggest alternative may suit the needs of a powerwalker aiming to lose weight, 80 liters is just inadequate if you are going tenting for a few nights.

At the risk of getting way off topic on packs and what we put in them...

What are you packing that you need 80+ L????

I can pack stuff for a 4 night climbing trip in a 50L...

That means overnight sleeping gear, food, clothes, rope, hardware, etc...

Just sayin':)

At the risk of getting way off topic on packs and what we put in them...

What are you packing that you need 80+ L????

I can pack stuff for a 4 night climbing trip in a 50L...

That means overnight sleeping gear, food, clothes, rope, hardware, etc...

Just sayin':)

Haha, well, consider me impressed! I guess that carrying an oversized backpack has become a trademark of mine. However, if I bring a lavvu, cooking gear including a coffee kettle from the 5o's, food and spare clothes in abbundance, a "jervenbag" etc, well, it takes up room. :) Maybe the heavy load has become addictive?

Attachments

• 15384377_10158111235955727_5007988607062161241_o.jpg
    15384377_10158111235955727_5007988607062161241_o.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 16
I'm doing S/S every other day. One day S/S, one day rest. Always take a 30min walk before breakfast everyday. Lately I've been taking a 1 hour walk in the evening the days I'm not training.

Been thinking that maybe doing 100 two-hand swings instead of the long walk would be better for fat loss. It might burn fewer calories, but might build more muscle and train more cardio... I don't know.

If fat loss is my goal, which is better? The diet, and I know that's the most important part, would be the same in this scenario.

I don't think I could do both (walk+100 swings), and I don't want to hurt myself, risk losing my motivation or get over trained.
Two-handed swings is quite easy on my limbs and grip. Don't have the stamina or recovery ability to do S/S every day, I've tried before.
The two-handed swings would be done with a 40kg kettlebell.

I weigh 141kg, 37 years old. 180cm.
I am genuinely so surprised at the responses thus far; I'm assuming people are going off what they think would be better as opposed to their own experiences.

OP I am telling you right now, 100 swings is so much better for everything than an hour walking. 100 swings with a 40kg even moreso.

Swings are literally the best bang for your buck exercise; i'm talking strength, power, cardio, body composition (that includes fat loss and muscle gain). Plus, you will look and feel so much better. You will be stronger, have quicker reactions, be fitter, fantastic grip strength, lower back strength, great glutes, etc.

Short answer: swing!!!!

OP I am telling you right now, 100 swings is so much better for everything than an hour walking. 100 swings with a 40kg even moreso.

That's a pretty bold statement... 'everything' being all inclusive as it is...
There are cases where a highly deconditioned individual would be medically recommended to start with walking prior to even thinking of swinging.

Additionally the heart impact from walking is different from, and can not be replicated by that of swinging (especially with a 40kg)

Just sayin'...

QUOTE]

A jedi doesn't deal in absolutes

In all honesty the voting is based off the OPs statement of his current situation.

If I was given the choice one OR the other I would take swings.

However from someone who has a lot of experience in body fat management (trainer and former competitive bodybuilder who got down to paper thin skin, shredded gluteus etc) I can say there's a place for lower intensity work.

You can burn out from too much high intensity stuff, especially in a long term calorie deficit (something only someone who has been in a extended calorie deficit would understand)

Additionally those who are new to exercise will be using a weight which doesn't elicit the same metabolic demand a heavier bell does (many often mention the magic of S&S doesn't fully occur until 32kg +)

Add in issues such as injury history (some backs can only take do much workload each week etc)

Typically the best option is a combination of work for body composition change high intensity resistance + HIIT + LISS

Especially if they have a long fat loss journey ahead IMO

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom