all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 100 swings or 1 hour walk for fat loss?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Glen I take your point and agree with them..

However OP has said that his limbs and grip are fine with swings, and given that he owns a 40kg I assume he is at least somewhat conditioned to use it. Also, 40kg is really very light in the grand scheme of posterior chain exercises, so building up the strength to swing it can happen very quickly with regular practise imo.

I do agree there is a benefit to both, however when dieting down to 'shredded' bodyfat levels you have to be much more meticulous about the exercise you're doing in the face of potentially losing lbm at lower bf levels - this is where low intensity cardio is likely much better.

For the layman, I still stand by swings 100%. By eating healthy and swinging regularly (listen to your body, you can plan to swing daily but if your body needs a day off, take it) the results would be much more desirable than just walking. Walking can burn fat. Walking cannot build muscle, explosive power, strength, functionality, resilience, speed, prime your CNS, strengthen your lower back (injury prevention) whilst being very easy on your other joints, as well as burning fat and giving you a fat little booty (pause?)...

Still, everyone has an opinion and I am not pretending to know all; I don't have a single sport qualification!! I do have experience of both though and can say without a doubt when I am swinging daily, all of the benefits above come to light for myself.

Also, @Pantrolyx regarding meditation value: higher intensity exercise can be equally as good for calming the mind and promoting mental passivity; particularly post workout. We can talk about this if you like - I love meditation. It is honestly the one thing that edges out kettlebells in terms of what I am most passionate about (albeit slightly..)

Happy swinging (or walking!) everyone.

Last edited:
Well, we aren't made to just walk, that's for sure. Walking is something that we need to do to keep our walking muscles strong, including the muscle called the heart, to train for moderate stress over long periods. But, if all we do is walk we're not following our body's real exercise needs which include many other movements.

Kettlebell swings are the natural exercise of heaving something up off the ground, modified or "civilized" into an athletic and very human activity through doing it multiple times in a prescribed movement pattern. They are one of the very best exercises you can do since you're getting strength, speed and endurance all out of the same activity!

@Glen I take your point and agree with them..

However OP has said that his limbs and grip are fine with swings, and given that he owns a 40kg I assume he is at least somewhat conditioned to use it. Also, 40kg is really very light in the grand scheme of posterior chain exercises, so building up the strength to swing it can happen very quickly with regular practise imo.

I do agree there is a benefit to both, however when dieting down to 'shredded' bodyfat levels you have to be much more meticulous about the exercise you're doing in the face of potentially losing lbm at lower bf levels - this is where low intensity cardio is likely much better.

For the layman, I still stand by swings 100%. By eating healthy and swinging regularly (listen to your body, you can plan to swing daily but if your body needs a day off, take it) the results would be much more desirable than just walking. Walking can burn fat. Walking cannot build muscle, explosive power, strength, functionality, resilience, speed, prime your CNS, strengthen your lower back (injury prevention) whilst being very easy on your other joints, as well as burning fat and giving you a fat little booty (pause?)...

Still, everyone has an opinion and I am not pretending to know all; I don't have a single sport qualification!! I do have experience of both though and can say without a doubt when I am swinging daily, all of the benefits above come to light for myself.

Also, @Pantrolyx regarding meditation value: higher intensity exercise can be equally as good for calming the mind and promoting mental passivity; particularly post workout. We can talk about this if you like - I love meditation. It is honestly the one thing that edges out kettlebells in terms of what I am most passionate about (albeit slightly..)

Happy swinging (or walking!) everyone.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I am addicted to intensive exercise as well. :)

Taking long walks in the forest accompanied only by a German shepherd brings me unparalleled peace of mind, but I also enjoy the mental benefits provided by full contact martial arts, kettlebells and bodyweight training. Subjective preferences are important when it comes to prioritizing training methods, and I believe that is especially important when it comes fo finding sustainable ways of cutting weight.

A short update:
Having upped my kettlebell sessions to 4 days a week (not 3,5) and trying to walk 90min a day on my rest days and continued eating about as much as before, I've now dropped 1,5 kg. I was at 141,8kg when I started this thread, and now I'm down to 140,3kg. It may have been the added 100 snatches cardio-session or the extra 6km a day of walking... right now it's working. :)

The walks don't feel like "working out" to me. I do sweat a little and feel it in my calves after 90min of walking, but it's very relaxing and there's always something to look at, new paths to find or animals to "stalk". And listening to an audiobook or podcast it's easy to walk 1km extra if you want to finish listening to an exciting chapter. If I would've done 100 two hand swings and listened to an audio book I wouldn't had done 100 swings more to find out what happens next... The mental part of psyching myself up to do a heavy set is also nice to get a brake from.

I'm also pretty sure I burn more calories dragging around all my extra fat in the woods then doing the swings.
And since I'm going relatively heavy in my workouts at the moment I find I need the rest days when I'm just walking.

A couple of days ago walked in a forest four hours. Feeling after that non achievable with swings... different strokes for different folks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom