all posts post new thread

Barbell 125 kg back squat 6 reps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Bajzath, it's hard to tell from the angle, but your squats look, if to parallel, just barely to parallel. I'm not sure any would pass in a powerlifting meet. I'm interested to hear other opinions - I tend to be a pretty harsh judge of squat depth.

Either way, strong stuff there.

-S-

They looked pretty decent to me. Maybe 2" high? But it could be the camera angle. I wouldnt worry too much about it until 1 month out from a meet (if he doesnt compete, I wouldnt worry about it at all).

These are all high. Your hip crease needs to (barely) descend below the top of your patella.

The problem with squatting high is twofold:
1. You’re not getting as strong as you could be, not getting the hypertrophic benefits of eccentric muscle micro trauma, and generally everybody knows you can’t actually squat the weight you’re showing.
2. There’s no way to repeatably quantify how high you are. In other words, if you squat 225 two inches high, it’s quite likely you’ll squat 275 three inches high and 315 four inches high and 365 five inches high. At that point we have no idea whether you’ve gotten any stronger or if you’re just cutting off ROM to move more weight.

For a real-life demonstration of this phenomenon, go to any High School football team weight toom and watch what they think passes for a 405 squat.

I would argue that depth always matters, even if you don’t compete.

These are all high. Your hip crease needs to (barely) descend below the top of your patella.

The problem with squatting high is twofold:
1. You’re not getting as strong as you could be, not getting the hypertrophic benefits of eccentric muscle micro trauma, and generally everybody knows you can’t actually squat the weight you’re showing.
2. There’s no way to repeatably quantify how high you are. In other words, if you squat 225 two inches high, it’s quite likely you’ll squat 275 three inches high and 315 four inches high and 365 five inches high. At that point we have no idea whether you’ve gotten any stronger or if you’re just cutting off ROM to move more weight.

For a real-life demonstration of this phenomenon, go to any High School football team weight toom and watch what they think passes for a 405 squat.

I would argue that depth always matters, even if you don’t compete.

Yes, you are right. I agree with you.

I thought they looked decent. I'm staring at a 1" x1" screen though... I'm just happy to see people barbell squatting. It is the center piece of my training, and sometimes I wish I see more of it.

Judging your own squat angle from proprioceptive feedback alone is something I find very challenging. I get told I squat 'too deep' more often than not (the problem is not the depth per se, but the fact that my pelvis ends up tilting at the bottom) and to go just below parallel but, to me, any depth above absolute max feels like a quarter squat.

If I can get my hip and ankle mobility to where I'd like it to be, this won't be a problem and I'll just go ATG every time: You can't argue with a fully closed knee angle.

You can't argue with a fully closed knee angle.
Chris, I seem to be responding to your posts this morning. :)

In a way, you can argue with a fully closed knee angle. You will get deepest when you give up the tension in your hamstrings at the bottom, something that's appropriate to do for a light and even a moderate weight for an experienced squatter, but when the weight gets heavy, you'll most likely want to keep that tension, which will then mean you won't get quite as deep.

This isn't to say it's impossible to give up the tension and still come back up with a heavy weight, but that's a highly-skilled endeavor to pull off, and usually the domain of Olympic lifters who learn to get maximally deep in order to not have to get the bar higher when catching their cleans and snatches, and then learn to come right back up from those depths.

-S-

I think 1,2 and maybe 4 look deep enough. Side angle would be better for filming depth.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom