all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 15 min x 3 per week. Recommendation of routine for busy guy !

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrej SK

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello guys, I decided to issue this thread to finally address my point and gain different opinions that will help me establish my long-time routine. I'm one of those busy-working-wife & 2 small kids-kind of guy who just wants to somehow compensate his sedentary lifestyle and find a routine that will help me reach some general basic fitness goals with relatively little amount of time spent home working out. I suggest 15 min x 3 per week and I'd like to know if you were to recommend me some routine (long time) what would it be ?

My goals according to priorities are:

1. General healthy body
2. No muscle imbalance
3. Functional strength for daily activities
4. Better body composition (aesthetics - but it's not no #1 !)

I prefer simplicity. I began to work on S & S. I'm currently working with 24 kg bell, however, just like in the past, I seem to have some shoulder issues caused by TGU (not neccessarily when I work out but rather afterwards). I think that TGU is not an ideal exercise for me so I would like to build my routine without this exercise. However, I really like Swings and have no problems with it.

Guys, please, what would you recommendation for such routine be ?
Imagine you have just 45 min. a week (15 + 15 + 15) and want to meet the objectives stated, how would you work out ?

Would it be KB Snatch and KB Clean and Jerk ?
Or Swings and Push ups/Pull Ups ?
Or Goblet Squats + Swings ?
Or anything else ?
How would you structure this workout ?

Thank you for your ideas, links, experience.

I really appreciate it !!!

3x5 goblet squats
3x5 one arm press

(superset these)

10 minutes two-hand swings. Start with 10 on the minute, work up to 20 / min

3x5 goblet squats
3x5 one arm press

(superset these)

10 minutes two-hand swings. Start with 10 on the minute, work up to 20 / min
Thank you aussieluke, so you mean starting with goblet squats and one arm press and then processing to swings ? Ok, so you believe that exercises targeting chest and lats is not inevitably neccessary ?

Hey,

You can do different grinds and ballistics during each workout and then, mixing them keeping S&S principles
Ballistics: swings, snatchs, clean / clean & press
Grinds: squats (and its variations: overhead, etc...), TGU, windmills, press,

Then you do some combinations:swings / squats,...

You can do max reps of ballistics in 5 minutes and do your grinds in the remaining time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

5-10 minutes of Original Strength resets to warmup..

You can try subrscribing to kettlebell WOD by @Geoff Neupert or grab either of his books: Kettlebell express or kettlebell express ultra

Hey,

Do you absolutely want to have a kettlebell training ? If not, you might appreciate something like this (based on bodyweight):

Tabata burpees (work for 20s, rest for 10, repeat 8 - 10 times) (cardio) (it will really challenge your whole body and your heart / lungs)
pistols and one arm one leg push ups (coming from Naked Warrior) (strength)

That way, you will a have a complete training (cardio and strength, fullbody, fast, doable everywhere without material)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey,

Do you absolutely want to have a kettlebell training ? If not, you might appreciate something like this (based on bodyweight):

Tabata burpees (work for 20s, rest for 10, repeat 8 - 10 times) (cardio) (it will really challenge your whole body and your heart / lungs)
pistols and one arm one leg push ups (coming from Naked Warrior) (strength)

That way, you will a have a complete training (cardio and strength, fullbody, fast, doable everywhere without material)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Peť, that's also interesting, I've been also considering the naked warrior system, but somehow, I have this inclinement toward holding the bell in my hand :) But anyways, thinking about pistols, push ups and burpees...this seems to be good system, but what about "the pull movement". You thing that one can go without it ?

Hey,

I use this training when I'm out of home (holidays, travelling, ...). Sometimes, I use only this one during 2 or 3 weeks (everyday). When I am back home and when I can do pull ups again, I didn't lose neither strength nor endurance.

In a long term perspective, I don't know if I could maintain my "pulling condition" (never tested), but in a short term perspective, it works pretty well. I also maintain my result in S&S + Press + Clean / Clean & Jerk + Snatch + Windmill.

Currently, my bodyweight goal is OA pull up. So you may also integrate this goal - either slow pull ups or OA pull progression in your workout.

Kind regards,

Pet'

If I was in your position I'd make sure if it is the TGU that hurts the shoulders or if it is the TGU done wrong or if it is something else entirely.

Many good movements have been recommended. I really love cleans and presses, so they would be my choice.

When stressed for time, I'd recommend keeping the movements per training very few. Trying to do too many different exercises in a single workout doesn't really help any of them after a certain point.

As a last point, do you have to do your 15 minutes all at once? 15 minutes spread throughout the day can work wonders. A set of five heavy clean and presses a arm can be done in a minute. If you spread them through the day, you get 15 sets. If you do them all at once, you only get five.

If I was in your position I'd make sure if it is the TGU that hurts the shoulders or if it is the TGU done wrong or if it is something else entirely.

Many good movements have been recommended. I really love cleans and presses, so they would be my choice.

When stressed for time, I'd recommend keeping the movements per training very few. Trying to do too many different exercises in a single workout doesn't really help any of them after a certain point.

As a last point, do you have to do your 15 minutes all at once? 15 minutes spread throughout the day can work wonders. A set of five heavy clean and presses a arm can be done in a minute. If you spread them through the day, you get 15 sets. If you do them all at once, you only get five.
Antti, interesting too. Well, concerning TGU, there's a certified trainer in my gym and he told me that I'm performing the move more or less good. Maybe keeping my shoulders packed is something I have to progress on...

But you mentioned KB clean and press, right ? Do you think that this exercise as a stand-alone routine could work to reach my goals ? I mean, I'm definitely able to do 15 reps a day and I don't have to do it all at once...just like you suggest...

Hey,

I agree with Antti and the training volume: if you spread all the day, you do more sets / reps (gtg);). Most of the time, it is the best way to improve a technique and increase strenght.

But sometimes, it is difficult to set such a system: you cannot bring your kettlebell / barbell at work :(

Kind regards,

Pet'

I definitely think a regime of cleans and presses can be very beneficial for you. I'd recommend to concentrate on them for at least six to eight weeks. After that, review your progress and plan ahead accordingly.

To be clear, I do not recommend 15 reps a day. In my post I meant 15 sets of five reps, which adds to 75 reps. That too is only to give a general idea. The exact ratio of sets and reps depends on the resistance. And it should varied from training to training.

I keep one kettlebell in my kitchen. I have one in my living room. I have three in the hall. Every time I pass one is a chance for training.

I do circles, when have "no" time.
3-5min warm up ( jumping jacks, arm circles...)
5 xclean, 5x press, 5x squat, first right then left
30 sec swings, 30 sec rest
4xclean,4x press, 4x squat
30sec swings, 30 secrest
3xclean, 3x...
down to 1
Takes about 9 min
finish with shaking your legs and arms to calm down and you are done in about 15minutes.
Sometimes I do bent over rows (1arm) instead of presses.

@Andrej SK , I understand that you started S&S, but that the getup bothers you.
There are many good routines that can be done in little time, in addition to your daily swings. A progression to the one-arm pushup is one example. If you do GTG, you will not even have to bother about 15 minutes a day. Or clean and press...

The point that concerns me is when you say that getups bother your shoulder. In my case, shoulder mechanics improved with getups, especially keeping them packed (lats).

If you cannot have your form checked by a SFG, maybe you could just try the progression laid out in the book. Start with a shoe. It will tell you a lot about alignements! Then do it light.
I don't know you, and you may be very strong. However, there is nothing wrong to start light in getups, dial in the technique, pay extra attention to the soulder position, and only then, increase weight.
There are a lot of great videos, in czech, on @Pavel Macek website. Have a look there (kb5.cz).

I am not a big fan of internet diagnosis, but submitting a video of you doing the movement may also help.

Snatches or other overhead exercise do not seem like a good idea to me as long as your shoulder issue is not clarified.

i would get my shoulder checked - a lot of the recommendations given (presses, burpees, push ups) will put more stress on the shoulder than TGUs do. i would get the shoulder checked and in the meantime do Double Kettlebell Front Squats 5x5 on the minute and do 10x10 swings 1H or 2H on the minute - 15 minutes done.

I seem to have some shoulder issues caused by TGU
I'd make sure if it is the TGU that hurts the shoulders or if it is the TGU done wrong or if it is something else entirely
In my case, shoulder mechanics improved with getups, especially keeping them packed (lats)
As like @jef mentioned I got my shoulder issues fixed only by doing my regular KB exercises (swings, TGUs, presses). I used to have what I referred to as 'niggles' on my left shoulder, which lasted several months. I was recovering from a 'frozen shoulder' issue. All my problems are gone. Right now, my left shoulder is stronger than my right. No niggles, none, gone, I am happy to report. I am mentioning what worked for me ('bullet proofing' form, 'packing' your shoulders, consistent practice etc.)
Edit:I forgot to mention halos of several months as part of S&S

Last edited:
@Andrej SK, you owe it to yourself to determine what is causing the issue that you attribute to the TGU regardless of whether you like them or not. I have a couple links in my signature line that you will likely find helpful, in that pursuit. As it were, lock down what is prompting the discomfort, inflammation and/or weakness then you are at least prepared to make an informed decisions going forward.

If time is the greatest constraint and you need maximum bang for your buck, I would back what other members have said about Geoff Nuepert's programs. Drop him an email and he will advise you as to which program suits your goals.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom