all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 16 kg TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Beau Sutton

Level 4 Valued Member
Been doing partial TGU with a 32kg today I did full TGU with a 16kg and it felt so light that it effected my technique in a negative way. Almost like my body just couldn't take it seriously. Anyone else have this issue?

Yes and no.

I've had that happen, but only when I was just casually doing the movement. Which is what really highlighted to me how casual I was being.

The corrective is to really focus on each stage of the movement. Keep yourself mindful of each movement and proper prioperception. When I've been mindful, it's never been a problem. Just like if I were practicing with a shoe.

Mindfulness and Focus are your friends with the TGU, and being casual is the enemy.

Been doing partial TGU with a 32kg today I did full TGU with a 16kg and it felt so light that it effected my technique in a negative way. Almost like my body just couldn't take it seriously. Anyone else have this issue?
Just keep lifting moderately heavy and stay away from the light stuff - problem solved! It is, as you've observed, hard to demonstrate the same form with a lighter weight as with a ~70% one.

-S-

Kind of like when you go to pick up what you think is a heavy suitcase, and it turns out to be light or empty and you get thrown off balance?

+1 to Swann's reply. I like to do get-ups with all different weights (unweighted, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 32kg) and switch them up regularly. I like the feeling of finding just the right amount of tension and strength. But just like Goldilocks, one is "just right"... that's the 24kg for me. Everything is perfectly dialed in.

Kind of like when you go to pick up what you think is a heavy suitcase, and it turns out to be light or empty and you get thrown off balance?

+1 to Swann's reply. I like to do get-ups with all different weights (unweighted, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 32kg) and switch them up regularly. I like the feeling of finding just the right amount of tension and strength. But just like Goldilocks, one is "just right"... that's the 24kg for me. Everything is perfectly dialed in.

++ 1

My mind and body are definitely lackadaisical with lighter weights no matter how hard I focus.

Whenever I do a no-load run through I always imagine a load being there.

In case of TGU I look past the lifting hand and just sort of imagine a good sized lump of black painted steel - the same mental state I assume when lifting.

I have a challenge on some ballistic lifts no doubt, but most lifts I can hold solid form.

Edit to add:
I've actually been doing a bit of unloaded TGU lately, it still bugs my right shoulder/degenerative disk issues :mad:

Last edited:
I'm reminded of the weightlifters' adage that every rep, whether with a PR or with just the bar, should look the same. If you can't do the exercise with low or no weight, then you need more technique work. If you can't do the lift with weight, then you need more strength. A TGU should have both. I'd actually argue that if you can't do a light TGU well, then you should do more light TGUs.

I would sometimes do lighter ones and then focus on moving very slowly and with absolute control and precision. The light weight gives you an ego boost because you can do it quickly so you have to be mindful and slow down. The light weight is supposed to remind you that you are to do the movement slowly.

I 'feel' the best with a 24 (my current max) these days... yet I still find value and benefits from doing them with a shoe (or equivalent). I do this when traveling, and I find it goes a long way to plugging leaks in my technique.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom