all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 1H swing form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bryce

First Post

Here's my first attempt at a form check video. I've been doing S&S for a little over two months. I find my 35lb bell to be a bit too easy at the moment and my 50lb bell really challenges my grip strength. I currently mix in a random number of sets with the 50 each morning.

Things I think I'm doing wrong:
  • Hinging too early
  • Overextending my back
  • Possibly not hinging enough?

Strangely, swings feel a bit more natural with my non-dominant hand for some reason.

Please let me know how I can improve.

Hi @bryce

Looks pretty good! Your hinge looks solid and correct, your alignment right to left is really good, and your timing is perfect!

What could be improved: In your start position have a flat back, big chest. Pack your shoulder a little more, especially at the top of the swing, draw it down towards your hip and away from your ear. Make your standing plank position a little tighter in the legs and abs and glutes.

I bet you could move up to heavier bell. Have you tried chalk?

Thanks! I haven't tried chalk yet, but I might have to get some to see if that helps. The 50 really starts to burn my forearms after a couple of sets.

A couple of things:
1) Work on pulling the kneecaps up and finishing in a straight line from ear to ankle (you are leaving your knees slightly bent and that is causing some of the things you are referencing).
2) Try the towel swing to improve your timing. For most of your swings you and the KB finish at the top at the same time instead of the hips finishing first and then the KB "floating" to the top.
How to Sync Your Breathing for More Kettlebell Power | StrongFirst

That article was pretty interesting and definitely gives me another thing to try and focus on.

I've been making a conscious effort to straighten my legs out by the time I reach the top of the swing and I definitely feel a difference.

I've also been working on trying to hinge a little deeper so that my back gets closer to 90 degrees. I feel like I build more power with that extra bit of distance to travel.

Good work, @bryce

I've been making a conscious effort to straighten my legs out by the time I reach the top of the swing and I definitely feel a difference.

Actually try to straighten your legs before the top of the swing. As @Brett Jones pointed out, you want your hips to finish first ("snap to plank"), then the kettlebell will float to the top of the swing. On the way down, same thing... let the kettlebell start to fall while you continue to hold the standing plank position. At the last possible moment, move to the hinge position for the backswing. Here's a slow-mo video where you can see this.

Bryce
Good stuff from Anna.

The goal is not to have the back get down to 90degrees—keep the shoulder above hip and hip above knee.

Sounds like you are making good progress and look forward to the next video.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom