all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 1h vs 2h swing study

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
In S&S book it’s mentioned that certain muscles contract x% with 1h swing y% with 2h swing. Is the full study somewhere to be read?

I have recently done both type of swings and I’m surpriced once again how well they blend together. They really are quite different, but same. I’d like to know more details of muscles worked in each etc.

I think it's this:

There is a subsection "Case Study" just above the "Discussion" that refers to data on Pavel's swings.

In S&S book it’s mentioned that certain muscles contract x% with 1h swing y% with 2h swing. Is the full study somewhere to be read?

I have recently done both type of swings and I’m surpriced once again how well they blend together. They really are quite different, but same. I’d like to know more details of muscles worked in each etc.
It never occured to me that it might be published. But here were go:

Case Study​

The swing of a Russian kettlebell master (Pavel Tsatsouline) was also assessed to form a case study. He swung a 32-kg kettlebell (∼70 lb) with one hand (right hand) and then held the bell in 2 hands for the swing. Interestingly, he produced 150% MVC (note that this was a statically determined MVC and dynamic contraction often exceeds static maximal values) in his left erector spine and 100% in his left gluteal muscles. His technique to powerfully stiffen the hip at the top of the swing is evident in the spine motion traces. This is a technique to prepare for additional load and “Superstiffness” (from McGill [15]); however, this technique would not be recommended to those with back concerns or have training objectives that do not include superstiffness given the extremely rapid spine motion. The 2 handed swing created more symmetry between sides in back and hip muscle activation together with lower magnitudes than the dominant side during the single arm swing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom