all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 1RM

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey,

To improve your chin ups, you can either do them really slowly (10s up, 2s at the top, 10s down, 2s at the bottom) or use additional weight (eg: kettlebell hanging at a belt)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@mike23, welcome to StrongFirst.

"1RM" is an abbreviation for "One Repetition Maximum." (We have an article on our forum to explain all commonly-used abbreviations; I see 1RM is not included, but I will fix that after I post this message. The link is Acronyms (Abbreviations))

Increasing one's 1RM, through training low-rep sets with moderately heavy weight, can yield an improvement, an "increased," in maximum repetitions at bodyweight only, if that's what you're asking. The way to go about it would be to

1. Establish a current maximum rep count at bodyweight only.

2. Establish a current 1RM in the weighted chinup.

3. Embark on a training cycle to improve weighted chinup 1RM.

4. Test weighted 1RM.

5. Go back to a bodyweight-only training cycle.

6. Test max reps at the end of that.

-S-

can you give me an example for a training cycle to increase my weighted chin ups ?
thanks for help

Ok four days ago i did a surgery for my left knee at this time i am in a recovery fase.My height is 1.74cm my weight is 69kilos i play tennis, and i am 18 years old my i health is more than ok but steve i love this exercise and i wnat to khow what to do now while resting what should i do not to lose my chin ups and my goal is to reach 30 chin ups please i want help because i asked a lot of people but i didny see any change in my chin ups also i download in pdf Mr.Pavels books because i think he is the best to bodyweight advices so if you give an advice to help me to do it i will be very happy
Thanks Alot Mr.Steve

Last edited:
I see.. what's the first?

to answer your question, how many chinups can you do now? that helps establish your baseline so we know how to advance

@mike23, your main focus should be recovery from your surgery. Strength, once acquired, usually comes back much, much more quickly that it took to first acquire, and losing some of your strength during your recovery should not be a cause for concern. Your first priority should be recovery; your second priority should be finding exercise that doesn't interfere with your recovery while still addressing some of your goals.

We at StrongFirst believe just that - be strong first. Strength, as we mean it here, is your ability to do something for one or a low number of rep(s) with a heavy weight. Improving your strength very often improves your ability to endure an exercise that requires less strength but more endurance, and it is in this light that I often recommend an intermediate goal of increasing pullup 1RM for a person whose long-term goal is a higher number of reps at bodyweight only. If you haven't worked on weighted pullups, you might consider that now.

You haven't told us how many pullups you can do now - that would be a good place to start. A video of you performing a few bodyweight pullups would be good, and you might also with to test your 1RM and let us know how that comes out as well.

I'm not avoiding recommending a weighted pullup program but there are many such programs out there already - let's see where you are first in terms of both max reps at bodyweight and max weight for a single rep.

-S-

@Steve Freides Steve first of all thanks, for the support and motivation my PR in chins with bodyweight is 12 reps and my one rep max single is with 20 kilos i dont khow how to take a video with me donig chins but trust me my form is more than good.Thats all i am in you're hands now
Thanks A lot Again

Last edited:
Our Fighter Pullup Program (written about in a blog on our web site here) is a popular program for increasing pullups. I recommend you give it a try. You might try it with a weight that allows you to do only 5 good reps - perhaps bw + 12 kg, I will guess - and then see if you can increase your rep count at bw + 12 kg. Once you're done that, you can consider running the protocol again with bodyweight only and I predict, if you are able to improve your numbers with a moderate weight attached, you'll also see an improvement in your bw-only numbers.

I would consider doing something else between these two cycles - Fighter Pullup program is pretty intense.

-S-

@Steve Freides Τhanks and something else.
To do the program with weights as with body weight like 5,4,3,2,1 or 5x5 and when my knee is fully recoverd what whould you suggest me for weight loss i would say interval training with bike ?

Last edited:
You said you weigh 69 kg; so do I, and weight loss is not a common goal for someone who weighs 69 kg.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom