all posts post new thread

Old Forum 2/3 bodyweight pullup ... ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rob Lawrence

Level 3 Valued Member
I saw Pavel recommending this as a standard to hit if you want to then want to work on one-arm pullups. One problem - even the strongest pullup guy I know personally hasn't achieved this. Bill Fox did bodyweight + 113 lbs some time back when I think he was about 185. Who has actually hit a clean 2/3 who is in the house here? (Bill, if I got your numbers wrong, apologies.)

Hey Rob -

I've been slowly working on this for some time now as well.  I went .55 (105lbs @190) a few weeks back so I have about 20lbs more to go. I don't have video of that one but here is a 40kg chin from last year that shows the form.  I have this miss @100lbs as well from March so it's been slow but steady. ;^)

I'm currently running the program Pavel suggested in the No Distractions blog post and will test again when that's complete.  I would definitely be interested in hearing from others on this subject as well.

I've done +110 and +90x3 chin and +80x4 pullup at 145, so a +100 pullup is definitely doable--I just haven't done it yet.

I have done a full OAC with each arm. I can share what I used to get there in terms of specific work if anyone's interested.

Rob,

The list is no dobut very short in members who have achieved this feat. Possibly, due to lack of focus or enough time following a sound approach.

Do you remember John Alstadt (Johnny Pull Ups?) From the early Dragondoor days? I believe he fit the bill and had achieved both 1 Arm Chins and very heavy weighted pull ups (approx 2/3 BWT.)

And there is this guy named Jones, from West Pittsburgh, Pa.... He was a pull up machine and hit 10 or 11 reps with the 32kg in a TSC after 10 pistols each leg with the same 32kg bell. I believe his approach was simple, basic and progressive, but cyclical in design. Almost Easy Strength...before Easy Strength : -) !

Shawn

I actually don't think that +2/3 is all that much of  a 'feat', maybe just cause I've been able to do it myself. There are plenty strong people here, it's just a matter of working for it.... If you can do 20+ strict pullups and do at least some weighted work with 1s/3s/5s, you can probably get +2/3 without much trouble if you're consistent over a year or so (imo).

Can't the fellow from Centaur fitness--Pol--do like +bodyweight or something? That's a feat in my book, not many can do that even with a chin instead of a pullup.

Wrongo Rob!

I did 2x32kg bells, which I think is more like + 144lbs @ 185. And I got some guy named Pavel as a witness.

Bill,

That is very impressive! Can you outline your training at the time this was achieved?

Thanks,

Shawn

Bravo Bill Fox!!!

I'll second Shawn's comment regarding your program at the time if you wouldn't mind indulging us.

I was a big on "same but different".

So for pull-ups I was pretty much doing exclusively weighted ladders. Mostly 1,2,3 or 2,4,6. Rarely more reps than that. I'd use 24,32 or 40kg. I was also doing DLs, and lots of swings. I had never been close to even trying 2x32kg but we were doing a Naked Warrior seminar in Philly and Pavel did this abdominal raking thing on me that enervates the core, or scares the crap out of you, and there was a room full of people of watching, and I grinded it out.

Now I've always been really good at pullups. I think I'm just put together for them somehow. I did 27 tacticals at a TLC.

Journeyman - Very impressive strength on the pullup bar.  How did you achieve the One Arm Chin Up?

My best (1 RM) is pullup with 88 kettlebell at 141 BW; i was close to 1 arm chin up, but my left shoulder was not ready, so i stopped doing it and came back to regular pullups. anyway, it is one of the goals i wanna achieve! If the Chief says reps with 2/3 BW, i am on it!

Bill, + 144lbs @ 185 is a very strong pull up and at 77% of bw it more than meets Pavel's threshold of 2/3 bodyweight to begin one arm chin up progressions.  Did you try a one arm chin up at this point?

I knew Bill would correct me one way or another. So it was the raking ...

Shawn, I agree that this is doable but that people simply drift too much in their training. Note how basic the training that got Bill there was.

Mitchell, sure. Here's my mini-article on OACs.

"I wanted to do OACs basically since I started training, so I guess I trained directly or indirectly for about 3 years, give or take. When I started I could do about 5 full chins, it took me a little over a year to get to 20-straight strict pullups--first using GTG, then density training, then pyramids. A while after that I began doing weighted chins, after some time working with sets of 5 I was able to do a single with +80lb. After that, working with triples (mostly 3x3 with a weight, when I could do all 3 triples with 1.30 in between I'd increase the weight). This led to PRs of +70x4 and +105x1 (underhand chinups) at a bodyweight of 145. After quite a long time off from focusing on chinning (~8 months) I started up again with high frequency, low volume sets of 8-12. I worked on this for about 4 months, working up to +45x10 chins and +35x10 pullups with a very wide grip, at a bodyweight of 140. Finally, I spent about 4 months doing 1 or 2 sets of 1 to 4 reps, 2 or 3 days per week. At this point I was comfortable using +80 or so with very good control and an overhand grip and began thinking of the OAC. I'd spent some time training for the OAC with the towel method over a year earlier, but that ended badly--only able to do 15 consecutive chins at the time, I simply was not ready. The final 3 months leading up to the OAC were when I began doing specific exercises. At first, I felt weakest at the top of the movement, so I started pausing my weighted chins at the top to take away all momentum and get comfortable at holding myself there. I also ended my sessions with a two-armed hang either at the halfway point, or with my chin over the bar for 1 or 2 sets of 30 to 45 seconds. Both of these additions helped a great deal and soon I was able to 'lock off' with one arm, chin over the bar, for 5 seconds or so without trouble. However, the bottom of the movement had now become my main weakness. To solve this new problem, I began doing my weighted chins with an extra hang at the bottom between rests, pausing for a full second or two and relaxing my shoulders. I had to work into this one slowly to avoid shoulder pain/injury but it did pay off with increased lat/serratus/rear delt power off the bottom. The other technique I used in the final month or so before the OAC was a one-arm isometric, pulling up from the bottom of an OAC as hard as I could with my lat/bicep and bending my arm as much as possible. I also did a lot of dead-start partials, either 1/2 or 2/3 range of motion on the OAC, for about 6 weeks before the OAC to maintain my specific strength in the upper range of the movement. In the middle of February I learned that there would be a bodyweight training event on the 25th of March to commemorate Jasper Benincasa's passing. I decided to try and get the OAC with each arm by then; at the time I was able to do 2/3 reps with each arm and had chinned +90x2 (normal style, no extra pauses). This final month, as aforementioned I did a lot of weighted chins paused at the top and bottom (working up to +90x3 this way), partial OACs (standing on stacked barbell plates beneath the chin bar), isometrics, and finger-assisted full range OACs. I got my first OAC with my right arm on the 12th, and continued normal training until the 3rd week of March, at this point I took a few days off and then did the following sets:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=355889024450487&set=vb.100000881768688&type=3&theater
Which at this time is the best PR I've attained in all my training. To summarize (also if you're a 'TL, DR' sort of fellow) -work up to at least 20 consecutive pullups with good form -add weighted chins, cycle between 3s and sets of 8-10, alternating between a top set and 2-3 sets when progress stalls -When you can chin about +2/3 bodyweight with full range and good control, begin working on specific stuff -Partial OACs, slowly adding ROM were my biggest specific helper. -Pausing weighted chins at the top, and bodyweight chinup holds at the top helped strengthen my 'finishing' portion of the chin. -Isometrics and 'relaxed' hangs between reps of weighted chins strengthened my 'starting' portion. -Lots of reverse curls reinforced my brachioradialis. I did not get tendonitis though my elbows still do hurt for a day or so after a hard OAC session. That's about it."

I am have done  a chin up with 160lbs @ 215lbs body weight. I almost got 180lbs but chin failed to clear the bar by about a 1/2 inch. I have a video on my camera but I lost the cord to download it to my computer. I will post it when I find the cord or shoot another one if my elbo feels up to it. I also was able to get about 3/4 of a one arm chin on both sides, again my chin just barely failed to clear the bar. I have a video of it on the DD site, I will try to find it and post it here. I will probably work towards a clean one arm chin again, I just I need to work back into it slowly because it makes my elbows very cranky.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom