all posts post new thread

Old Forum 2/3 bodyweight pullup ... ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Great stories guy's, thanks for sharing.  Greg, man that's awfully close.

The elbows definitely take a beating as things get heavier and at 43 I'm certainly wary of tendonitis. I'm stoked to have another go at gaining more strength this winter in hopes of getting the OAC.

Rob, you started this thread; where are you currently at?

Journeyman - That's a lot of work and well worth it in my opinion.  By 20 strict bw pullups for the first step do you mean bar to chest or bar to neck?

Also, at 150 lbs I'm going to need to pullup bw + 100 lbs.  Is dip belt or weighted vest the best way to go with this sort of thing?

Either way, they're different. Belt is cheaper to buy/set up than a vest you can load to 100#  or more.

20 reps was just chin over bar, or bar-to-adam's-apple, for me. Really, whatever has you feeling comfortable.

Pavel's 'fighter pullup program' of pyramids was what I used to get from ~16 reps to ~20 for the first time. Now my best is 25, OAC training really carried over to my max pullups.

Impressive work Journeyman, and thank you for the post. So, you didn't use eccentrics? A lot of programs recommend those to help progress. Any thoughts on assisted one-arm chins (like, bands or pulley)? How many days a week did you work pull ups?

I'm getting pretty close to BW+2/3 for chin up (currently 2+100lbs at 175lbs BW), and am planning on starting to focus my chinning on one-arm work during my next cycle.

Rob, I saw Bill do it with a pair of 32s—and it was a tactical pullup, much harder than a chinup.

Andy--I never got anything out of eccentrics, really. The torque really wears down your elbow if you aren't quite strong enough to control your rotation yet. Of course once I actually got to the point that I was doing one-armed partials, I did a slow full range negative with each rep.

I did OAC work 2-3 times a week, with some bodyweight pullups on the off days--usually a set or two of 10 slow and controlled reps. I did like one-finger assisted OACs, and included them sometimes after weighted chins in the last month or so of my specific training. Generally I'd just do a rep with each finger--4 reps total--alternating arms back and forth without resting. Everything was highly autoregged, following a specific plan isn't a good idea because you'll have to watch your elbows pretty carefully. I think that working instinctively is another reason I didn't get tendonitis or even any elbow pain while training.

I believe that using a pulley can be very helpful once you are quite close. There's no point using a pulley if you have to put more than 20 pounds on it. The simplest method here is putting a rope through a weight plate and hanging it over a bar. I tried these for a while last summer while working towards a one arm (pronated) pullup and got very close before I had to quit while travelling... and this fall I focused more on other things so I still haven't gotten the OAPullup yet. But doubles and triples worked well for the pulley assists, just like the weighted chins... singles worked better for the partial and finger-assisted reps, in my experience.

A lot of great pullup/chinup information here, thanks for everyone contributing!

Ben Edwards

When I was rock climbing I could do 3 OACs on my strong side and 2 on the other. That was mostly the result of climbing and not visa versa. Any time I've "worked on" one arms my elbows suffered.

I agree on eccentrics. Strength is a skill. Eccentrics will get you strong at doing eccentrics, its groving the skill that gives you the performance. When I could 20+ tacticals the first 15 were like robotic.  Just grooved to where there was almost no effort.

I also think its important to not fail too much in training. I never "tested" much, of the TSC or for

GS. Comp adrenaline will kick in. Get used to making every rep.

The closest I have come is a 52k weighted pull-up. I used the easy strength approach to this. IME, the 10 total reps approach was vital to heavy weighted pull-ups. I will also add that I would treat it liked a deadlift, maximum grip, tension and plenty of rest.

One arm chins have always bothered my elbows, they seem to flare up very quickly when I try. I have hit one in the past but haven't chased them after that

At 6'2" and normally +/- 5lbs of 230, I have completed reps of the tactical pull up with a 32kg (5 reps) and a 40kg (3 reps). Not very impressive by any means, but weighted ladders with either a 16kg or 24kg made it possible. From Bill Fox earlier posting, weighted ladders with moderate weight seem to really work in driving up the 1RM.

Also, it seems that practicing 1 arm chins in order to perform more 1 arm chins does a number on elbows and shoulders on many who try this approach. Interestingly enough, Bill also mentioned the carryover from climbing to the 1 arm chin.... Hmmm...

Shawn

I think that there are two keys to actually using OACs to train with: being strong enough to handle it--if you can only do 1 or 2, and end up using your 1RM to work with all the time, of course it won't be the most effective thing to do... it'd be like being able to bench 315 but never working with less than 300 or so. The other thing is prehab. Plenty of high reps for brachioradialis, forearm flexors, and rear delts... light strandpulling, hammer curls, etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom