all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 2 months left to look good on the beach

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
It's 80%-85% diet. The workouts are just supplemental.
1. Get Geoff's Kettlebell Burn Extreme. That will take care of 4 weeks and has a great workout.
2. Then Use his Permanent Fat Loss Solution the next 4 weeks, perfect transition and similar. Workout, get Kettlebell Hard, pick 2 workouts out of it and alternate days.
3. Walk an hour a day. This can be done every day.
4. If you enjoy a drink, then this is the time to completely abstain. Nothing will make you or keep you fatter than drinking.

I’m assuming since you’ve said you don’t want to talk about diet that you have your diet component under control. Moving on.

1. Walking. Get at least 10,000 steps per day and aim for more. The low intensity of it (vs running, for example) is that it shouldn’t increase hunger too much.

2. Since your goal at the moment is physique-related and isn’t focused on your 10K run time, I’d personally lower the running to once per week. In a caloric deficit, it’s not going to doing your muscle retention any favours.

3. If you’d want to keep using S&S for these next 8 weeks, I’d probably choose 5x/week. If you can handle a beach-muscle finisher, go with sets of dips 2x/week and chin-ups 2x/week.

4. I’m no great fan of S&S so I’d personally go with your #6 option. This will depend on your available bells and the exercises your confident with, though. Anything by @Geoff Neupert will fit the bill. The Giant, KB Burn 2.0/Extreme/(Reloaded), anything from KB Hard. It’s all top-notch.

For what it’s worth, I took that profile pic of mine after 12 weeks of bodyweight training focused on handstand push-ups, one-arm push-ups, one-arm chin-up regressions, and some curls and lateral raises. You can do a lot with a little.

Don’t overthink it this though. Hit the steps and eat just under maintenance and pretty much any training will fit the bell, as long as the focus is on resistance training.
Hey man
Fellow bodyweight guy here.
I do one arm chins and OA pushups (convict conditioning) and HSPU but im having trouble getting big shoulder mass with calithstenics.
I do shoulder presses and lateral raises but they are screwing with my rotator....any wisdom?

It's 80%-85% diet. The workouts are just supplemental.
1. Get Geoff's Kettlebell Burn Extreme. That will take care of 4 weeks and has a great workout.
2. Then Use his Permanent Fat Loss Solution the next 4 weeks, perfect transition and similar. Workout, get Kettlebell Hard, pick 2 workouts out of it and alternate days.
3. Walk an hour a day. This can be done every day.
4. If you enjoy a drink, then this is the time to completely abstain. Nothing will make you or keep you fatter than drinking.
Great advice. The #4 hit me in the feels :(

I've been doing carnivore or carnivore+fruit for the last 3 months and feel like I've never looked better.
I would definitely say a program from Geoff neuperts kettlebell muscle, those complexes can help build muscle. The leanness comes from diet, not running. The only time I would jog would be if I was being tested on jogging for something, but its pretty useless when it comes to physique. Cut out all sugar and grains, eat some steak, and do things that will enhance muscle size.
Perhaps even a more bodybuilder type approach, doing multiple sets of 8-12 reps to stimulate some hypertrophy, especially on presses and pullups. If you can build some muscle in the shoulders and lats while reducing waist size through diet, you will get that v taper

Hello,

@iron&flint
What was this routine please ?
By the way, extremely nice physique ! Plus, OAP, HSPU and OA Chin are no joke !

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks! Bear in mind I have a long training history with KBs and other implements but this routine was from Greg O'Gallagher (a.k.a. Kinobody) and it's the bodyweight version of his Movie Star program. It's focused on the OAP, HSPU, OACU (and regressions/progressions - haven't quite nailed the full OACU!) and BSS, with L-sits, hanging leg raises and supplementary dips, lateral raises and curls. It brought my OAPU from a struggling 4-5 to 13 for each arm - among other things - so it definitely does what it says on the tin! Probably the best I've ever felt and looked, too.

Hey man
Fellow bodyweight guy here.
I do one arm chins and OA pushups (convict conditioning) and HSPU but im having trouble getting big shoulder mass with calithstenics.
I do shoulder presses and lateral raises but they are screwing with my rotator....any wisdom?
Hmm good question! My shoulder mass was amplified by the program I've discussed above for sure, but I've been working with heavy (for me) KBs overhead for the last 17 years so I'd say most of the mass came from that. That said, at the time of the pic I'd taken a 15-month hiatus from any KB work. I have also used lateral raises frequently over the years though, too.

The main thing I'd say before any kind of technique discussion is to look at the rep ranges you're using, and the intensity within those ranges. At what kind of rep count are your sets becoming tough in your HSPUs? I see a lot of bodyweight people using super low reps and wondering why're not building mass but you'll want to make sure some variation on the HSPU is bringing you close(ish) to failure up around the 8-12 mark. Likewise for any of your exercises that hit the other delts. If you're low-repping the one-arm chins, it could also be worth adding some higher rep rear delt flyes or band pull-aparts. These are just examples that you can apply to any muscle you want to bring up.

Have you tried changing the tilt of the dumbbell with your lateral raises? Thumb higher than pinky or vice-versa may make a difference; it certainly does with me, and my rotators have always been 'sensitive', let's say. I can't do any form of upright rowing, for example. If you can make lateral raises work for you by changing the anatomical trajectory, they'll give you pretty great bang for your buck.

Are you using KBs, dumbbells or a barbell for your shoulder presses? I find KBs vastly more comfortable in the shoulder than either of the other two but I'm assuming from your username that you're also using KBs!

6fe328461286c48a6e9d3346465cbc49.jpg

Hello @iron&flint

Thank you for your answer !

Is there any "leg portion" in this routine or some sort of conditioning ? Obviously do not answer if this obliges you to describe too accurately the programme !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @iron&flint

Thank you for your answer !

Is there any "leg portion" in this routine or some sort of conditioning ? Obviously do not answer if this obliges you to describe too accurately the programme !

Kind regards,

Pet'
My pleasure!

I forgot to mention legs, whoops! It's mostly unilateral leg work so pistols, Bulgarian split squats, single leg hip thrusts/deadlifts and jump squats. Clearly not the program to follow if you're wanting to max out your powerlifts, but for feeling athletic and maintaining/gaining muscle while leaning down, it's the best I've used.

As for conditioning, no, not really. Walking and a weekly jump rope session are it in that regard, but I don't think anyone is aiming to use it for performance increases. The rests are short enough in the lifting that my conditioning Improved as a side effect anyway. I was adding my own hill sprints to some of my walks so with any training experience at all, you can definitely add or subtract according to your knowledge of your work capacity.

Ultimately it's nothing ground-breaking but for a 'do this' program for looking and feeling good while gaining strength in the BW exercises, it's really pretty great!

Hello,

If no change in diet are to be considered (which may not be optimal because we usually do not out train a bad diet), I'd run either @iron&flint 's programme. Seeing his photo, this is clearly effective.

Otherwise, 10k swings challenge from D. John. Or high rep calisthenics such as IronWolf's routines (see on YT).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Asking for a friend ;),
let's say you have only two months left before going on vacation in Italy,
and you want to look good (at least better) on the beach.
You are rather strong and muscular, but all this is hidden by a good layer of fat,
with a nice belly... You want to lose some of fat so people could see your muscles.
You also want to keep or not lose too much of you muscle, and keep them "toned".
You can run and use kettlebells. What would you too (maximum impact)?

Let's not talk about diet, but exercises. Assume one day off (Sunday).

Would you:
1) run everyday 1h and do S&S 3 times a week
2) do S&S everyday and run 3 times a week 1h
3) alternate between running 1h and doing S&S the next day
4) run 45min every day, do 200 two hands kb swings
5) run 2 times a week 1h, do S&S 2 times, do run 30min + 200 kb swings 2 times
6) something else?

Thank you
Follow the diet plan in this article from
Fabio Zonin.

I think dry fighting weight 3 days per week, LSS runs 2 days per week and 2 days of complete rest as well as quality sleep and you’ll have made a right good go at it.

Back
Top Bottom