all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 2 to 1 Handed Swings progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RWolfe

Level 4 Valued Member
Curious. When progressing through the KB sizes to reach the "simple goal". it is suggested by Pavel that you will eventually transition to all one handed swings. I am curious how others approach this. When you start, lets say with a 16Kg bell, do people simply progress with that bell from 2h to 1h swings, and then stick with 1h *only* as you phase in 24 kg and beyond. Or do people go first introduce 2 handed swings of the next weight level into their current workout that might already consist of 1h swings for the current weight?

Hope this question makes sense... the answer may ultimately be "it doesnt matter" or "whatever you are comfortable with" but I am curious if there is a preference or trend of one vs. the other. Thanks!

I transitioned to 1h swings as soon as I comfortably could. Once there, I never left. So when I jumped up a bell, I did all the heavier swings 1h. For me, this ensures you are really good with your current bell, and it also helps you move up at a slower rate.

I know others have gone back to some 2h when they go up, and I'm sure that works fine. For me, though, the 2h is significantly easier than the 1h. So when I was comfortable 1h swinging the 32, doing a 2h swing with the 40 was really not that big of an increase in terms of difficulty. I felt my time was better spent just doing all 1h swings.

When I transitionned from the 24 to the 32, I did not revert to 2-handed. It was hard, not that powerful at first (grip was the limitation), and I stayed with only 1 heavier set as long as it was needed to be comfortable and powerful, but I never did it two-handed. It did not take that long. The immediat benefit was to make the 24 look light and more powerful!

I can swing the 32 for 10x10 and received the 40 yesterday. My session today was 32 (L+R), 32 (L+R), 4 sets at 40 Two handed, 32 (L+R). I did the two-handed swings because I needed a break for my grip, did not want to swing the 24 today, and wanted to use the new bell. :) As my grip was tired, swinging the 40 one-handed would have been a very bad idea...

This session confirmed me that the one-handed swing with 32 is significantly tougher than 2-handed with 40 kg. Transitionning to this heavier bell two-handed would seem more like an ego satisfaction in my case.

My plan will be to try an increase one-handed. I might lose power at first, I may be able to do only one set, or even only 5 reps, but it feels like time better spent to stay with one-handed swings.

Last edited:
Very cool stuff, Jef. I definitely agree, 1 handed swings with the 32 is definitely tougher than 2 handed swings with the 40. And when I move up, grip is almost always one of my biggest limiters.

When I first started S and S and was transitioning to all 1 handed swings with the 32 I followed a swing patter that Steve F. mentioned in a post. He's since written a whole blog about it. For me, it was an excellent way to progress to all 1 handed. I think the biggest thing is how it allows you to practice the 1 handed version, but you keep a consistent rhythm and power by switching things up.

Simple & Sinister: Getting from Two- to One-Hand Swings - StrongFirst

If you've seen it and tried it, sorry for pointing out the obvious.

As I work toward the Simple goal, I prefer to intersperse Hand-to-Hand sets, as a relief, as an alternative to Two-Handed Swings. YMMV.

@brian d, thanks for the link. I remembered seing this article before, but as I was not concerned at the time, I did not remember the details.
It is actually a good way not to lose the power of the swing. I will try it for the transition to the 40.

Started with 16kg two handed and transitioned into one handed swings. One of ten sets are now at the next bell the 24kg one handed.

So only one handed swings for me as stated in Simple & Sinister: once you master one handed swings, that's the only swing you will be using.

Thanks for this thread. It made me realize I should really use 1H swing more. I dop ROP so the focus isnt really on the swings, but there is no reason I cant incorporate this on swings days.

I transitioned to 1h swings as soon as I comfortably could. Once there, I never left. So when I jumped up a bell, I did all the heavier swings 1h. For me, this ensures you are really good with your current bell, and it also helps you move up at a slower rate.

This was my experience, too. Simple and Sinister was my first serious foray into kettlebell training two years ago, and I remember surprising myself a few months into it when I tried some single handed swings with a 16k. They'd felt impossible when I tried them for the first time a few weeks into it. I was swinging my 24k two-handed when I realized I could swing the 16k with one. From there, I tested the waters for a week, realized I could swing the 20k just as well, and did the program with single handed swings from there on.

I do like two-handed swings for heavy swings. They're still slightly faster (more explosive), and with the heavier weight, feel incredible.

On both transitions from 16 to 24 and 24 to 32 I used 2 handed swings with the new bigger weight. I felt a bit embarrassed to be honest and slightly awkward that I wasn't doing the programme as laid out, ie staying with one handed swings. I went ahead with 2 handed only for this question to be raised and was reassured to know that it is ok to use 2 handed, if that's what it takes. There was the grip issue of course but it was more to do with stop start and changing bell sizes during the practice that I couldn't figure out the best way to do it, you do 5 with a 16, 5 with a 24 etc. There was a thread about losing the ability to count and keep track of sets and reps a while ago. I'm a bit of a dope and frequently lose my ability to do simple tasks, counting whilst focusing on form is one of them. It didn't take long to go to one hand with the 24 anyway as I remember but a whole lot longer with the 32......yes, the already mentioned blog by Steve works very well.

I think starting the heavier bell two-handed is ok, if it is what it takes to get comfortable and safe. It is best to do good two-handed that flussy one-handed swings.
I would be more concerned to stay too long there, and to keep upgrading only two handed without owning all the lighter bells one-handed.
The protocol posted by @Steve Freides is actually great to keep going.

I tested it yesterday and today with the 40. 2 reps left-handed and 2 reps right-handed in a set of 10 (6 two handed) did not seem that scary anymore. Changing hands at the top is a good way to check that the float is there. :)
I am going to stay there with just 2 sets out of 10 for as much time as I need to get my grip secure, but at least, it is already making me feel the 32 a lot less heavy!

I felt a bit embarrassed to be honest and slightly awkward that I wasn't doing the programme as laid out, ie staying with one handed swings.
This - feeling embarrased - is completely unnecessary, I hope you realize!

Everyone should note that the two-handed swing is an _excellent_ exercise. While Pavel explains in the book why the one-handed swing is the option of first choice for S & S, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with two-handed swings and, at least IMHO, everyone ought to do them at least once in a while, if only because most people can manage a bigger weight that way.

-S-

I realise now Steve, of course! It was a while back and it does appear a bit unnecessary and foolish perhaps to feel that way. It was a case of if I did one handed swings with a bigger bell I feared I would rip my knuckles off, hence the need, or my need then, to use 2 hands. Anyway, a distant memory now my grip is forged of steel!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom