all posts post new thread

Barbell 20 or 25 kilo comp-style plates?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
After looking at the link @Geoff Chafe provided, I'm considering getting a pair of competition plates to keep on my deadlift bar. All my 45 lb. plates, and my 20 kg plates, are smaller in diameter, so having a pair of comp-spec plates on the bar first will make loading and unloading that much easier.

USAPL meets are in kilograms, others are in pounds, just trying to decide if I should get a pair of 20's or a pair of 25's. No good answer, I know, but I'm listening to whatever thoughts anyone has. 20's means my usual 225 warmup becomes 222. 25's means it becomes 244, also a fine warmup weight for me.

Thanks in advance. I kinda wanna try the 25's but am thinking the 20's make more sense. My bar is the 20 kg Rogue.

-S-

Around here we only have kilo plates. I somehow gravitate towards the 20s. I prefer to load a lot of them instead of fewer 25s. I don't know if there's any rational reason behind it, but it's just more to my taste in some odd manner.

But I suspect the 25kg plates may be cheaper by weight than the 20s. I've planned how to outfit my future home gym and I'm going to mostly get 25kg plates because I can save money that way. Of course, it's not much, but why not?

There is a difference in handling the 20kg and the 25kg plates.

I don’t think the money difference is much. Let’s see

25’s are more. 20 kg for $80, so 25 kg should be $100 but it’s $110.

-S-

I don’t think the money difference is much. Let’s see

25’s are more. 20 kg for $80, so 25 kg should be $100 but it’s $110.

-S-

Well if the 20 kg plates are cheaper that's a no brainer to me. I counted if I buy something like 400kg worth of plates I can save 100€ by going 25 for most of the plates.

20's means my usual 225 warmup becomes 222. 25's means it becomes 244, also a fine warmup weight for me.

25’s keep more weight closer to the collars.

I think you answered your own question with these two statements right here.

There is the coolness factor. All Olympic lifters recognize the red plates as the "heavy plates," so a bar loaded with two reds is cooler than a bar with two blues. Silly, I know, but don't underestimate the power of looking cool.

Thanks, MTB. The place Geoff recommended hasn't returned my questions, so I don't know if they're going to work out.

For now, a meet on Saturday, so this goes on the back burner. I was leaning towards the 25's, too, might still get them once the meet is over.

-S-

@Geoff Chafe, have you been able to get a reply from those folks? I'm still interested in a pair of their comp plates, but their web site doesn't change the amounts shown when I pick US currency, and I'm reluctant to buy from a web site where no one answers.

Thanks.

-S-

He was the meet director at Classic Worlds so I’m sure he is pretty busy the last few weeks. I got ahold of Mike directly to purchase a new bar.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom