all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 200 pushups CONSECUTIVE!!! Rudnev again HOW does he do this???

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I wouldn't say the elbow is funky. He's just externally rotating. Notice that he loses it as he gets fatigued. The shoulders look a bit shruggy to me but I could be wrong. That's still a ton of pushups.

Hard to tell but it seems he may have figured out how to relax his triceps for an instant on the lockout. Clearly he's in the excellent shape but I wonder if that helps some. I'll have to see if I can do something like that. Relax on lockout not 200 pushups.

I could be wrong, but I guess he's using the push-ups as a training tool for the competition jerk. Looking at it my guess would be he's visualizing to be jerking the entire time, resting in the lockout position. That might explain the elbow twist. It would also explain the pace and why he does it for 10 minutes.

Cheers
Period.

He, and his son, are amazing. From GS to regular training to juggling, they are awesome to watch. These push ups are very similar to the way Denis Vasilev does them, I believe it's to help with GS.

@NGU21, you wrote:

My question would be WHY does he do this?

-S-
I suppose you could ask that about anything, right? Why would anyone do a pull up with a kettlebell chained to their waist, why would anyone jump out of a plane with a parachute? I suppose you'd have to ask him but to me it is certainly a display of strength-endurance. I suspect like a lot of people, he's challenging himself, but I really can't know without asking him.

I could be wrong, but I guess he's using the push-ups as a training tool for the competition jerk.

Guessing

That is correct, it is guessing, which is never good.

Competitive Jerks

This method is counter productive for Competitive Jerk Training,

Jerks are a Power Movement, The foundation of Power is built on the development if Maximum Strength,.

Performing Push Ups for 10 minutes does not increase Maximum Strength nor Power; it kill both.

Last edited:
This falls into the area of idiotic.

Always funny when people try to cast shade on the accolades of even the most accomplished athletes. Read up on Rudnev before you criticize:

This method is counter productive for Competitive Jerk Training,

Jerks are a Power Movement, The foundation of Power is built on the development if Maximum Strength,.

This statement right here proves your ignorance, as Rudnev is training for GS. He's not an Olympic Weightlifter.

Maybe do some research next time before you call someone an idiot just because what he's doing is different than what you're used to.

Pavel in Easy Strength:

A friend of Dan's (John) undertook a valiant effort of pushing his deadlift to 405 x 20. When he tested his 1RM, he got--425.

So, not something I would dedicate time to ;)

Rudnev is training for GS. He's not an Olympic Weightlifter.
he's using the push-ups as a training tool for the competition jerk.
Your reply should have been addressed to Period, who view 10 minute of Push Up "As a training tool for competition jerks".

Performing Push Up for 10 Minutes

It idiotic regardless of who does it.

However, it along with $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's; which is good to know.

You're welcome. :)

Pavel in Easy Strength:

So, not something I would dedicate time to ;)

I'm sure the goal of the given pushup set was not to develop maximum strength. Of course you can look at it through that lens, but that would be akin to looking at someone swimming laps and say: "That's not going to make anyone a better runner, so not worth your time". Well, yes, if your goal is running. Duh.

Why can't we look at someone doing something impressive and simple acknowledge it? Anyone knows that doing a set of 200 reps is not the best way to train for maximum strength. It's obviously a feat of strength endurance.

Regarding the quote... I have a lot of respect for Dan John, I find it highly unlikely that someone can deadlift 405 for 20 and has a 1RM of 425. It completely defies logic.

Your reply should have been addressed to Period, who view 10 minute of Push Up "As a training tool for competition jerks".

Performing Push Up for 10 Minutes

It idiotic regardless of who does it.

However, it along with $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's; which is good to know.

You're welcome. :)

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. The competition jerk he was referring to is the jerk in girevoy sports. The athlete is required to jerk a pair of 32 kg kettlebells as many times as possible in 10 minutes. Elite athletes will perform 100+ reps.

You can say that's idiotic, but it's no more or less idiotic than you waddling up to a bench to lie down and press a barbell for one rep.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.
I have @Kenny Croxdale in very high regard with his complete and extended awnsers in a lot of posts.

I also have a high regard for GS, not that i'm doing it, but it takes hard work and discipline to get to the level of someone like Levi Markwardt. I'm not saying 200 push up's is not impressive, but I think it's on the same line of the world record plank (9 hours and 1 minute). Which is an awesome feat, but not necessary for any sport. I'm not an GS trainer, but if I wanted to train my lock-out (assume this is the goal watching the video) I would have done a vertical excercise, maybe handstand push up, because the mechanics (in lock-out) are more similair to the jerk position then push ups (vertical vs horizontal) or do fewer jerks with heavy weight, so the competition weight feels more easy afterward.

Regarding the quote... I have a lot of respect for Dan John, I find it highly unlikely that someone can deadlift 405 for 20 and has a 1RM of 425. It completely defies logic.
People who tent to do longer work sets, have more difficulty to attain the tension which is needed for a single max effort. But still, page 80.

I suppose you could ask that about anything, right? Why would anyone do a pull up with a kettlebell chained to their waist, why would anyone jump out of a plane with a parachute? I suppose you'd have to ask him but to me it is certainly a display of strength-endurance. I suspect like a lot of people, he's challenging himself, but I really can't know without asking him.
@Jon_Frost, fair enough. My question was intended to both convey my own disinterest and to actually ask the question. I do get that it's a display of strength-endurance, and my personal preferences - we could call them prejudices just as well - are showing.

I confess my own perspective here: I have found great benefit in my life to becoming stronger in a 1RM way, and also great benefit to long stretches of easy exercise like walking. But I recall, from my days as a TKD student, the endless sets of pushups and sit-ups we would do and I never felt I got anything from them. That sort of strength-endurance strikes me as an exercise in enduring misery as much or more than enduring strength, and my own TKD began to progress only after I discovered Pavel's work and began on my own journey, outside of my martial arts studio, to greater strength and flexibility - and everyone kept asking me what I was doing because, clearly and all of a sudden, everything about my TKD got better.

I ramble - I meant no insult to the man doing pushups for 10 minutes, but I confess being bored to tears with such things as a spectator, and even more bored when I've been a participant. NB: I find 10 minutes of kettlebell swings and/or snatches to be quite different, bouts of explosion rapidly alternated with bouts of rest/float.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom