all posts post new thread

Off-Topic 2017 Crossfit Games

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ShawnM

Level 9 Valued Member
I understand that SF and Crossfit can't be more opposite, however, if you're not watching the games you need to. These men, women and teens are killing it. Yes, form sorta sucks at times, but they are killing it!!! I can honestly say that any of the women, including the masters over 60 division would more than likely smoke most of us.

I hate the weird looking pull ups and bad Olympic lift form but I have to hand it to all of them, they put in a crazy amount of work.

They really are athletes. And even if their form sucks around our parts, it's the competition rules they adhere to and which within they do their best, so the form is a given.

I'd be interested in knowing how many SFG instructors own or run crossfit gyms. I know we have them. I don't think they need to be opposites. The training idealogy of WOD vs StrongFirst, yeah opposite, but I think you can train with SF principles for the competition of crossfit. The training and the event don't have to be the same thing. I guess that opens the door to questions like, is it crossfit if you aren't using any crossfit protocols for training? I don't know : P

I understand that SF and Crossfit can't be more opposite

I don't see them as opposites. Crossfit focuses on no-curls movements as well as SF. The training approach is certainly different but I find more similarities than differences in general

Well, I mean, yeah. I think that's a given at the international level of competition, regardless of the sport (except maybe ping pong ;)). And it really is a professional sport at this point, complete with sponsorship deals, prize money, and all the fun goodies that let people turn their hobby into a profession. Because it's so young, though, it's still a viable pursuit for the not-quite-good-enough-to-go-pro folks who are at their physical peak, but missed the boat for their other sport that would pay even better. I think it will be interesting to see what happens as we get more Lauren Fishers, kids who start training for it while their still in high school.

is it crossfit if you aren't using any crossfit protocols for training?
Quite a few of the Games athletes don't do "real crossfit" during the off season. They work on their lifts, their gymnastics techniques, their endurance, etc, and then they bring it all together and start doing metcons again a few months out from competition. That being said, there are also plenty who just crossfit real hard, real often. I look forward to watching the evolution of their training. From the sidelines. As I do my 10-20 second snatch repeats with plenty of rest, and LSD aerobic work.

Now Crossfit has to do Strongman Events. Like the other disciplines they can't do them as well as the individual sport athletes.

Here is Robert Oberst doing Crossfit.

I completely agree that Crossfit athletes are tremendous competitors and athletes. I also agree and don't think crossfit and SF are opposing that much. Crosstraining is crosstraining regardless of the methodolgy. The SSST could be considered a "metcon" and training for it or the TSC would not have to look that different than training for a crossfit event. The difference would primarily be the required movements specific to each sport but one would likely be training strength, aerobic capacity, stamina, etc. Crossfit has done a good job identifying movements that excel at training certain attributes but the needed attributes for crossfit are different than the attributes for sport X, Y, or Z.

Crossfit just has sooo many movements and attributes to train. Trying to get good at everything means you're not getting great at anything. Where Crossfit really excels is with it's self-definition of fitness. However, each individual has a specific definition of what fitness is for their unique needs. Ultimately every methodology has roughly the same movement patterns to train, the same energy systems to train, and the same muscle groups to train. The difference seem to lie in the priority of all the parts and pieces that make the methodologies unique.

If the goal is to be good at crossfit, then do a little of everything. If the goal is to be good at TSC, then snatch. If the goal is to be "fit", then define it. Pick your need then the poison.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom