all posts post new thread

Barbell 2018 USA Powerlifting Veterans Day Championships

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Good discussion....:)

Reposting...
M66-3a class NJ State Records are
Squat 112.5Kg,
Bench is 92.5 Kg,
Deadlift 127.5Kg.
Total 332.5Kg for full 3 lift meet.

So in view of that, @Steve Freides , if you can now squat 135# for a couple sets of 5, my rep calculator suggests you could possibly do 180# (82Kg) max.
Your bench best is 80Kg
And your awesome deadlift will definately break current 3 lift deadlift record!
I would say you'll do well !

My experience at meets.....masters are judged same as everyone else. No special considerations. At local meets, equipment must meet requirements, but not a specific brand.

Carl in Dover

@Carl in Dover, judging is the same, but some things are not, e.g., I've lifted in several drug-tested federations for the last 15 years and never been tested.

-S-

@Steve Freides , not sure regarding the other federations but.........
"Competition in USA Powerlifting is limited to lifters who have not used any form of strength enhancing drugs or hormones for 36 months prior to the specific meet date, and who have not used prescription diuretics or psychomotor stimulants during the 7 days prior to the specific meet date. A minimum of 10% of the lifters in any competition will be selected for testing.

USA Powerlifting sanctioned competition must include drug testing using the USA Powerlifting recognized testing procedures for drug detection (i.e., urinalysis) and must be evaluated by a USA Powerlifting approved laboratory. Reimbursement to the Meet Director includes 15% of drug testing costs on single and double lift meets, and 20% of drug testing costs on full Powerlifting meets. Meet Directors who do not test the minimum 10% of the lifters will NOT receive a drug testing reimbursement. They may also be denied future sanctions."
SOURCE: USA Powerlifting Technical Rules, page 35 (2017 update)

So as I understand it, at any USA Powerlifting sanctioned meets a minimum of 10% of lifters were getting tested. At the meet we're going to in November I'm sure that there will be testing.

Carl in Dover

@Carl in Dover, I have no doubt that testing takes place. I’m just saying I seem not to be a priority for such testing. My guess is that the most heavily populated divisions and weight classes are where most of the testing is done because they are the most competitive, and this makes perfect sense to me. The purpose of the testing is to ensure fairness so testing where there is the greatest chance of it making a difference is what I think I would do, too.

-S-

OK, 5 days out till the meet (Nov 10) and tonights training was the last of the heavies, including a 177.5kg deadlift PR! Just mobility and lightweight full ROM lifts until Thursday, then rest Fri. Probably some easy rowing or moderate Assault bike work in there also.

I like to plan the work, then work the plan so I'll put this out there.....

LIFT PLAN.
Squat.
1st. attempt 110kg
2nd attempt 115kg
3rd attempt 122.5 kg
Current De State record 120kg
Bench
1st attempt 67.5kg
2nd attempt 70kg
3rd attempt 75kg
Current De State record 72.5kg
Deadlift
1st attempt 160kg
2nd attem 170kg
3rd attempt 177.5kg
Current De State record 175kg

I have already made all the above record breaker numbers during training within the last 10 days. All my new numbers are only 2.5kg increases, keeping with my slow and steady plan, not getting this old man hurt strategy.

The long term plan is to increase all lifts 2.5kg at each meet from here on out to the USA Powerlifting Raw Nationals in Oct 2019.

I think I'll start a training log on here......:rolleyes:

Carl in Dover

@Steve Freides .....hoping to get the early enough to see you lift my friend. Are you now in the morning session?

I am now in the morning session, ugh. :)

We will have to run out - after I got switched to the morning, Bronwen and I made plans for the rest of the day so I need to be gone by 1 PM. I absolutely should see you folks while you're weighing in and, hopefully, I'm getting an award. (We grew up in and around Philly, so everyone wants to see us when we're down there.)

BTW, I am aiming to break the 3-lift total for my division/age/weight. Not by much since I'm newly back to SQ and BP and haven't trained either seriously, but my plan calls for a 335 kg total and the current record, cited by you above, is 332.5. I should check to see that it hasn't been broken recently ... I've managed an 85 kg SQ and an 85 kg BP at home recently, and hope to pull 165 kg, and maybe a bit more on the SQ but we'll see.

I haven't planned my attempts yet - sometimes I only take 2, actually most times, my DL is only two attempts.

White lights to you, my friend.

-S-

Drive to Philly in the Friday afternoon rush hour - done but miserable. Torential rain.

Philly hotel - good, view of Ben Franklin bridge from our window, and old Philly piers, boats, the Delaware River, and Camden, NJ across the water.

Ability to fall asleep at any time - priceless. Weighed about 2 lbs over yesterday morning. Went to sleep at 7:30 pm, got up at 4 am, was 1 lb over, soaked in hot bathtub while reading a magazine and playing on my phone from 4:30 to 5:30, dropped to 1/2 under, got dressed and came to meet.

Checking in - good, all done online, showed email with my USAPL card and didn’t need any paperwork. Request for XL size t-shirt caused raised eyebrows and worries about a mistake until I said my wife liked them to sleep in. (An XL t-shirt is nightgown length when you’re 5’ 2”.)

Got rack height for SQ, got rack height for BP, gave openers - 75, 75, and 145 kg, and weighed in at 65.7 kg in my underwear to make the 66 kg class.

Returned to car and waiting coffee and breakfast salvaged from the hotel buffet by my lovely, kind, caring, best-companion-in-the-world, beautiful, and charming wife.

Lifting starts at 0900.

-S-

Home now, we stopped at Fuddruckers in Newark Delaware for some proteins.
Anyway, like we've heard before...."plan the work and work the plan"
All white lights, 4 new Delaware State
M3-105 records, and a new piece of jewelry . :D
I did make an error on my 3rd squat though. I had a brain fog or something and instead of requesting the planned 122.5kg, I asked 127.5Kg! By the time I realized it was too late to change. Anyways, Christine said just do it, so I did. Not too shabby either.
Great meet overall.

Carl in Dover

20181110_182927.jpg 20181110_133317.jpg 20181110_133343.jpg :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom