all posts post new thread

Barbell 2019 Delaware State Championship meet report

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Carl in Dover

Level 5 Valued Member
April 7, 2019
Frontline Crossfit
Wilmington DE

M3b-93

Well, that turned out OK. I had dropped a weight class from 105kg down to 93kg so I was a little worried about losing some strength.

Rule #1, make weight. Check.
Registration, equipment check, check rack heights, and then weigh in and state my openers. ( 2 hour weigh in at 92.6kg ) all done, let's EAT! I had a small container of skinless chicken pieces to snack on and some hard boiled eggs.

I had a "battle plan" written already as usual. I didn't want to get excited and make any mistakes.
Changed into my singlet and watched awards ceremony from morning meet.
Next up, Rules Meeting. Even though I am a USAPL Referree I still listen to the rules meeting as it helps me focus.

RULE#2, Get all your openers, get in the meet. Check. I've seen it before, the lifter has too high of an opener, fails the lift, gets discouraged misses second and third and is the out of the meet with no total. All my openers were lifts I could easily do for 3 reps on a bad day.
Squat. Opened per plan at 117.5kg, then followed with a easy 120kg. Was feeling strong so changed the plan up to 125kg and made it easily.
Bench (not my favorite) Opened with a 70kg then followed it with a 72.5kg. I felt like upping the third lift, but as I didn't really "feel it" I stayed with the plan and registered a 75kg. Immediately wished I would have asked for 77.5kg, oh well.
Deadlift. Opened with an easy 137.5kg and seconded with a easy feeling 140kg. By now I was really feeling pumped and called for a 160kg. Went up easy! (My 105 division PR is 177.5kg)

Rule#3, set PR's. Check
Those numbers are not PR's as I have lifted more in a higher weight division, but they are PR's in this 93kg division.

Rule#4, get some records. Check
I haven't seen it official yet, but I do believe I have 4 new USAPL M3b-93 Delaware State records including the 360kg total!

Carl in Dover

Attachments

• 20190408_100128.jpg
    20190408_100128.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190408_100053.jpg
    20190408_100053.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 17640.jpeg
    17640.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 21
Those numbers are not PR's as I have lifted more in a higher weight division, but they are PR's in this 93kg division.
Then they _are_ PR's - nice lifting, Carl!

I was fortunate not to lose too much when I underwent a much smaller shift than you, from 67.5 kg with day-before weigh-ins to 66 kg with 2-hour weigh-ins. So far, it cost me 2.5 kg on my deadlift.

But let's see now: I dropped 1.5 kg, and you dropped 12 kg. That's a _huge_ drop in weight class.

Very nice lifting, sir - I look forward to seeing you again. I'll probably not do any meets for the rest of this year, though.

-S-

Great job! Impressive dropping the weight class. How long did it take and what was your plan like?

Thank you sir.
I used Dan John's technique of "buy the ticket" and I signed up and paid in advance for the 93kg division and actually started Dec 1. Had some ups and downs. See attached Stronglift 5×5 chart.
My FitnessPal app calorie settings were set to be at 93kg by April 1, trying to maintain 100gr minimum protein average. I'd say I wasn't too succesful with that, but currently attempting to maintain 100gr minimum daily.
No refined sugars or refined wheat. Plenty of fresh fruit. Chicken was a great source of protein, along with GNC protein powders and fish. Honestly just cutting back on portion size by watching calories worked best for me. I did not worry too much if something went wrong, just get back on track the next day.
I think I'll stay around 91-92kg for my next meet 9 weeks out.

Carl in Dover

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190408-215314_StrongLifts.jpg
    Screenshot_20190408-215314_StrongLifts.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20190408-220838_MyFitnessPal.jpg
    Screenshot_20190408-220838_MyFitnessPal.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 15
I used Dan John's technique of "buy the ticket" and I signed up and paid in advance for the 93kg division and actually started Dec 1.

Step 1: Decide to lose 12k in 5 months
Step 2: Lose 12k in 5 months
Step 3: Profit

It's just that simple, people!

But seriously, strong work, both on the lifts and on the scale.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom