all posts post new thread

2020 will be Simple (maybe a little Sinister?)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrick Jackson

Level 5 Valued Member
Starting the journey to Simple & hopefully beyond in 2020.
I'm 40 y/o 170 lbs and moderately athletic. In a previous career I was a firefighter and practiced strength training (mostly 5x5 barbell workouts). Currently a software engineer and out of the strength practice for quite some time. During the past month I have completed a 30 "HASFit Strength" program (dumbbells). Now I am looking to reap benefits of Simple and Sinister.

Concerns: Shoulder - left shoulder pain when doing high volume under other programs, so will see how it holds up.

Previous Kettlebell experience: Tried various kettlebell workout videos in past, but lack of structure & consistency

Started practice today following Simple and Sinister 2nd edition. My plan is to follow the book closely doing workouts 6 days/week. This will be my only workout - no supplemental except maybe a couple jogs a month.
I've done a few practice workouts with mostly 16kg and a few 24kg over last couple weeks.

Warmup 3 sets (16kg):
Prying Goblet squats x 5
Halos x 10
Bridge x 5 (no bell)

Practice:
24kg 10/10 swings
24kg 5/1 getups

Able to complete in about 30 mins. Weight felt about right - I don't feel fatigue or like I was really pushing limits. Getups were more challenging than the swings.
Didn't get really winded or sweaty. We'll see how I feel the next few days.
Left should (my bad shoulder) feels ok, but felt slight popping and worried it may get inflamed.

Day 3

I feel like today was a test on if I can start with 24kg for swings & getups. I was a little sore last night & this morning.
After todays workout I feel great. Swings were powerful and form was good. Still feels like 'medium' effort, so I think these are the right bells.

Workouts are taking about 40 mins to complete with warmup and stretches after.

Left shoulder still has some popping during getups, especially the press and lowering.

Day 7

After feeling fatigued on day 5 (and practicing anyways) I took my first off day on day 6 doing only form practice and 2 sets of swings with 16kg and re-read parts of S&S.
Today I still felt a bit tired, but I didn't get a good nights sleep. Practice went well and feel more energized afterwards. Focused on breathing during and after sets, and passing the talk test using Pledge of Allegiance.

Most notable:

Completed several getups with no popping!

I expected my shoulder to become inflamed and painful and possibly a blocker for completing Simple. Still early days, but this is really promising.
Overall I feel better physically in a lot of ways already.

DAY 15

Today I had to check if I was using 24kg for TGU. It felt like a 16!!

Been going 6x/week for two weeks. Felt very fatigued on day 7, but much less on day 14.
Overall feeling stronger and need less time between reps. Posture is better. Legs feel stronger throughout the day.

Feeling good about working a 32kg into the mix in a couple of weeks. Ordering one as soon as stock is avail from kettlebell kings.

Still some popping a occasional pain in left shoulder while lowering from TGU. Trying best to keep form perfect and pack shoulders.

Also been working in few mobility exercises in morning/evenings about every other day.

DAY 31

I've continued with the 24kg 6x a week. It is feeling easier, and form has improved. Especially on the TGU.
I have not tried to meet the time standard with the 24 yet. I don't think I can do it now. Rest periods are usually >1 min between swings.
Overall I'm feeling good and my shoulders are feeling better than before I started S&S.

Tomorrow I start mixing in the 32kg. Wondering how this will affect my rest periods. Anyone else needed more rest when going up a size? My thoughts are it is only a few sets with the new weight. I imagine being that gradual that it will not be a significant change.

DAY 33 - First day with 32kg

Mixed in the 32kg on 2 sets of swings and 2 TGU (following S&S closely). It went well!
I was able to maintain form on swings. Definitely got my heart pumping more than the 24.

TGU was fine on right, but struggled with the left at first. I lost control while going 'to elbow' and had to catch with my right hand once. I think this is due to some form issues and bringing the bell too far right and 'down'. I think I've always had the form issue, the 32 just highlights it. I was able to complete it on the 2nd try.

DAY 53 - Starting 32kg for 4 SETS (swings) & 2 SETS (TGU)

Bumping up to 32kg on 4 sets of swings and 2 sets of TGU. Did one practice with this 2 days ago and went well, but did have some lower back soreness. Today it has felt fine, which makes me think it is DOMs.

In S&S book it mentions for those reaching sinister weights they will need to add more rest days. I'm wondering if for some people that threshold may be lower. For now still aiming for almost daily practice, will see how it goes!

Overall feeling stronger, especially in "core" - abs, hips, back.
Weight fluctuates, but avg 5lbs lose since I started. Weightloss is not my goal. General physical preparedness & mobility are my goals. Probably a change in body composition to be a bit more lean.

DAY 67 - Enter the Knee Pain
Unfortunately Knee pain has flared up in the last few days. I think it has been there for longer, I've just ignored it and powered through. Now it is painful to go up/down stairs, and lunges in particular. Swings are ok. Have not been diagnosed yet, but definitely will have to hold off on the TGU for awhile. Pain is not when in contact with the floor, but during the motion of the lunge.

Other than the knee pain, I have continued to progress with the 32kg. It is feeling much lighter and having back soreness like I was when I bumped up.

Was really hoping I could continue S&S on an almost dailly routine - now not so sure. Going to rest a couple days and try to figure out what is going on in my knees.

DAY 75 - I'm back!
Have not been to a medical prof, however my self diagnosis is patellofemoral syndrome. Years ago I was diagnosed with this when over training with jogging and lifting and seems to have flared up. Happy to report now I am recovered and back in the swing of things(haha) with a 3 days on/1 day off schedule.

Changes I've made:
Took 2 days off and began stretching hamstrings a few times a day.
The patellofemoral pain may have been triggered from bad form. I've noticed I was bowing my legs/knees out a bit on the bottom of swings. I've been focusing on correcting that, activating glutes during swings, getups, and periodically throughout the day.
Also foam rolling legs/hips once a day before bed.

Feeling great with the 24 & 32. Resisting the urge to bump up to another set of 32 and putting in more time with current bells.

DAY 90
Stepped up to 6/10 Swings with 32kg and 6/10 TGUs with 32kg on 3/25/2020.
It's going great. No reoccurrence of knee pain so far, so I think the 3 on/1 off + hamstring stretches are working.
Felt a little fatigued after first run of 3 days after stepping up. Already feeling more adjusted to the weight.

I was already doing this routine before shelter-in-place and continue it. Great exercise for a pandemic. Take that coronavirus!!!

Last edited:
DAY 110
2 days ago Stepped up to 8/10 swings with 32kg and 8/10 TGUs with 32kg.
Still feeling great. Following the same routine - 3on/1off with some additional light stretches for hamstrings/legs.
Taking an off day 2 days after the step up. Not really sore or fatigued, however in the past every time I stepped up I have felt fatigue after 3 days so trying a 2on/1off then back to 3on/1off.

WTH effect - did a bike ride recently and really powered up hills without getting winded

Now I'm on the lookout for a 40kg bell, which is really hard to find right now!

DAY 152 - Lower back pain & recovery
Around day 129 I had lower back pain. I had started 8/10 with 32kg about 11 days earlier going 3 on/1 off. I attempted to continue to practice through the discomfort - bad idea! I did one more practice after 2 days rest, and that only made it worse. So I took about a week off.
The pain was lower back and upper thighs. Not sure if this was a muscle or a disc issue. I believe my form was slipping (extending hips too far at standing position).

After a week off I did a few days of 24kg with 1 day on/1 day off, and began feeling better. Also doing some back/hip stretches daily.
I've continued the day on/day off schedule now for about 10 days and have made progress with back pain and back to 8/10 with 32kg. I'm going to continue with this weight longer and try going back to 3 on/1 off before stepping up.

DAY 191 - First cycle with all 32kg
Successfully completed my first cycle (3 practices, day off between) using on the 32kg.
This includes warmup using the 32kg with goblet squats.
The first 2 went great and felt strong and no back soreness/pain. The last one left me with lower back pain that night and the next morning.
Going to take a least 2 days off and reassess.

Also have been incorporating some "Super Joints" mobility movements on days between practice. This seems to help with overall ROM and recovery and have been feeling great (until last night!)

DAY 220 - Back pain & recovery
At some point about a month ago I hurt my lower back. I believe it was when lifting a ladder by myself. I have not been diagnosed, however my self diagnosis is a herniated disc. I had to stop S&S for a couple weeks. I start doing the Mckenzie Method and I have had steady improvement every since. Once pain was gone, I did a week with 24 kg. I continue to do the McKenzie method daily - HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
I'm a desk worker, so sitting for prolonged periods of time (without out the best posture) has probably taken a toll. I think McKenzie method is really taking care of my lower back.

Today I worked in the 40kg!
Two handed swings where no problem. TGU on right was doable for 1 rep. I was unable to get the left side up. This was how the 32kg was when I started, so I'm not discouraged.

DAY 230 - First timed Attempt
14:45 with 24kg
I'm working with 32kg and 40kg, however I have never timed myself, and never practiced at near a 15min pace. The I made it with the 24kg but it had me sucking wind! Highly doubt I can manage the 32kg in under 15 min, much less the 40kg! I plan to work timed efforts in every week or two from now on.

DAY 220 - Back pain & recovery
At some point about a month ago I hurt my lower back. I believe it was when lifting a ladder by myself. I have not been diagnosed, however my self diagnosis is a herniated disc. I had to stop S&S for a couple weeks. I start doing the Mckenzie Method and I have had steady improvement every since. Once pain was gone, I did a week with 24 kg. I continue to do the McKenzie method daily - HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
I'm a desk worker, so sitting for prolonged periods of time (without out the best posture) has probably taken a toll. I think McKenzie method is really taking care of my lower back.

Today I worked in the 40kg!
Two handed swings where no problem. TGU on right was doable for 1 rep. I was unable to get the left side up. This was how the 32kg was when I started, so I'm not discouraged.
Hi Patrick - I started S&S about 5 weeks ago. About a week ago I started some developing some tension in my lower back on one side. It feels like a muscle thing. It only got worse when trying to focus on very strict form. So I'm taking a break. Where's the best place to find info on the Mckenzie Method? Are there free resources on that, or does it come in book form?
Max

Hi Max,
I read the original book "Treat your own back". You can find it on Amazon and other places.
As many others have said on these boards - Please be careful with your back and see a professional if your having serious pain. For me taking time away from any lifting and using Mckenzie as well as other mobility exercises have made a huge impact. Form is everything with the swings. Check your form and read in these forums about form and back pain.

Hope it works out and you heal up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom