all posts post new thread

Powerlifting News: USPA Scandal, and a New Federation

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor

and other articles, videos, etc., will tell you more - there was a scandal related to the USPA apparently hiring meet directors with "issues" - you can look online for more.

I recently contacted the meet director for my last PL competition, a USPA event in PA held last November. He is, it turns out, now one of the cofounders of the National Powerlifting League, NP League – American based federation, National Powerlifting League

My reaction to all this is: <sigh>.

-S-

Part of me still has that a-hole disdain for people that have never competed but call themselves powerlifters, weightlifters, athletes, etc. The other part of me looks at the mess that is "organized" sports and says, "Yeah, screw that.".

I do miss competing, but I've grown to like my garage gym... a lot.

Didn't they just allow men to compete against women as long as the men said they feel like they are girls?

At least one meet director has said they have lost dozens of lifters because of the scandal, hence the want of a new fed. Personally, I am not inclined to leave the USPA as I think their hearts are in the right place and they're basically a good and a competent organization. They've made mistakes, and they've taken and are taking steps to fix the situation.

-S-

Question I'm going to ask out of genuine ignorance:

If one is a drug-free lifter, what are the reasons for not joining Powerlifting America, which is the one that ladders up to the IPF?

If one is a drug-free lifter, what are the reasons for not joining Powerlifting America, which is the one that ladders up to the IPF?
I don't know how others feel about it and things could have changed in the past 20 years, but finding competitions near where you are is hard enough, and if you're particular you'll be lucky to find one a year if that.

Who runs meets and who runs the best meets varies a ton by location. There isn’t a single IPF affiliate in my state, but a ton of NASA and USPA meets.

They just don’t have the prestige of the Olympic committee

Back
Top Bottom